The Lotus Cars Community banner
421 - 440 of 469 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just placed a deposit today. I am hoping that Lotus does not increase price by the time my order comes around. I can wait until 2023 if needed, but of course sooner is better.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'm doing my due diligence and checking all the CA locations. I've already sent and email to Gator and have warned my wife that there is a very real chance of getting this car from Indiana and just paying for transportation and dealing with the out of state transfer.

Thank you
Ha-ha, that sounds like a fun road trip if you ask me. That's what we did with a great deal on a relatively rare Mercedes, but that drive was only 350 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just placed a deposit today. I am hoping that Lotus does not increase price by the time my order comes around. I can wait until 2023 if needed, but of course sooner is better.
Oh! Where did you place your deposit? If you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about ordering in another state. All 3 of my Lotus purchases have been out of state and drove hundreds of miles home on that same day or overnight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'm doing my due diligence and checking all the CA locations. I've already sent and email to Gator and have warned my wife that there is a very real chance of getting this car from Indiana and just paying for transportation and dealing with the out of state transfer.

Thank you
Call, don’t email, Tom at Boardwalk Lotus. Large allotment and MSRP. I know because Tom spent a day on the phone dealing with Lotus USA to assure MSRP. That said, you are probably looking at 2023 but you will likely have more options.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
259 Posts
Don't worry, the wait won't be long. The FE models are going to be delivered around this time next year, so what's another few months for 2023? I have a FE reserved, but if it doesn't do it for me, I'll gladly give up my reservation for a 2023 model.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Call, don’t email, Tom at Boardwalk Lotus. Large allotment and MSRP. I know because Tom spent a day on the phone dealing with Lotus USA to assure MSRP. That said, you are probably looking at 2023 but you will likely have more options.
Called. Texted. Messaged via website...Waiting for someone (hopefully Tom) to call me back today. Hoping it's not too late for the FE's but if it is, that's fine. I don't mind getting the 2nd or 3rd batch. We're currently doing an addition to our backyard and getting solar so it would actually help a bit to wait. But I just don't want the manual options to be gone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dilema:

Option 1 - Indiana, 2.5K, expected delivery 2023 Q1-Q3 (first to reply, excellent customer service; far from home; ~ 2.5K to deliver; different state)

Option 2 - Los Gatos, 5K, expected delivery 2024 Q1-Q3 (email was sent before weekend; called on the weekend to follow up; closer to home; same state; Delivery cost? Close enough to do it myself)

Any advise would be nice. Personally, solely based off the customer service and the kind and helpful emails...I'm leaning towards Gator/Indiana. Just FYI. Thought I would ask here though just in case I'm missing something. DMV, possible issues, ability to trailer the car myself, etc...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dilema:

Option 1 - Indiana, 2.5K, expected delivery 2023 Q1-Q3 (first to reply, excellent customer service; far from home; ~ 2.5K to deliver; different state)

Option 2 - Los Gatos, 5K, expected delivery 2024 Q1-Q3 (email was sent before weekend; called on the weekend to follow up; closer to home; same state; Delivery cost? Close enough to do it myself)

Any advise would be nice. Personally, solely based off the customer service and the kind and helpful emails...I'm leaning towards Gator/Indiana. Just FYI. Thought I would ask here though just in case I'm missing something. DMV, possible issues, ability to trailer the car myself, etc...
Have you checked out Boardwalk? Pre-Order The 2022 Lotus Emira Now! | Boardwalk Lotus

Edit: Saw your previous post about them. Looks like theyre taking pre-orders exclusively via the above form.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Dilema:

If you buy out of state (CA) then you must go to DMV to register and have a smog check before. I bought a C8 from MD and had it shipped via closed transport. The process was incredibly frustrating. New cars don't "turn on" certain sensors in the exhaust system until the car has been driven through a number of miles(# appears to be variable depending on driving behavior) and thus will fail a smog test. I had to go to DMV and get a temp 60d tag. Worked out in the end, but required going through a waiver process. Just something to be aware of if you buy out of state and to factor in if you live in CA. Not sure any other state requires this, but CA is "special".
Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you buy out of state (CA) then you must go to DMV to register and have a smog check before. I bought a C8 from MD and had it shipped via closed transport. The process was incredibly frustrating. New cars don't "turn on" certain sensors in the exhaust system until the car has been driven through a number of miles(# appears to be variable depending on driving behavior) and thus will fail a smog test. I had to go to DMV and get a temp 60d tag. Worked out in the end, but required going through a waiver process. Just something to be aware of if you buy out of state and to factor in if you live in CA. Not sure any other state requires this, but CA is "special".
Good luck
Oh yeah..thanks for the reminder. This is very helpful. A new car WILL need to be driven around at first till the smog can read correctly. Damn...Los Gatos it is then I guess. Man...Alison is was so nice and everything.

·
Supporting Vendor
515 Posts
All new Lotus cars are certified to meet the corresponding model year's emissions standards for both the U.S. EPA and the State of California. These certifications are displayed within a sticker located on the vehicle and on the vehicle's Certificate of Origin. Examples taken from a 2021 Lotus Evora GT have been provided below:

Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Tread Motor vehicle
Publication Font Paper Paper product Pattern

·
Registered
'19 GT350 and '68 Mustang currently... waiting for an Emira!
26 Posts
^^^ exactly... it's why they all have the 3rd cat I believe haha...

·
Registered
257 Posts
All new Lotus cars are certified to meet the corresponding model year's emissions standards for both the U.S. EPA and the State of California. These certifications are displayed within a sticker located on the vehicle and on the vehicle's Certificate of Origin. Examples taken from a 2021 Lotus Evora GT have been provided below:

View attachment 1298041 View attachment 1298042
Yes, this is true however CA DMV doesn't care that it meets emissions. Go on their web site and you will see. Out of state purchase and first time registered in CA then you must have a smog and a VIN cert (no big deal, they can do it at DMV). Also the sensors don't turn on at a set number of miles. My C8 had over 600 miles on it and still no go. The smog "ref" waiver process is only available up to 1k miles, so if you go over 1k miles and the sensors are still not on then I guess you are begging DMV for another extension.

Reactions: vcappp

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think I still have a friend at the DMV I can follow up with on this. I used to work there ages ago, so I'm not current on the rules but I think my friend would be...

421 - 440 of 469 Posts