The Lotus Cars Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone is excited about the new car. It’s manual trans, it’s new look, great interior, but what are car companies doing? They make a new car heavier, less horsepower, and slower 0 to 60? Oh I’m so excited! So an evora gt will beat me 0 to 60 and on a 1/4 mile! I know straight line isn’t what it’s all about but it’s still embarrassing. Fine it’s heavier cause it has a complete nicer interior. Fine! Give us 450 hp then. Not less than the last model. Like when mustang came out with a 4.6 liter instead of the 5.0! Bad move as far as I’m concerned. The c8 corvette did it too. It’s way down on horsepower compared to the c7 Zo6 but is way quicker 0 to 60! Less horsepower is fine if it’s faster but the emira is not. Just disappointed! I was really looking forward to buying one but we’ll… it’s just too slow. 0 to 60 above 4 seconds is unfortunately slow these days. Hope more people complain and they boost it up 50hp. Hey the new bronco Sasquatch was goin to be automatic only but enough people complained and now they made the manual trans available in it. Let’s go Lotus give the Emira 450 hp. It should DEFINITELY have more power and be quicker than the previous Evora model!!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't compare it to the Evora then (which is likely much more expensive, and not a viable option for the companies future), compare it to its competitors. It's 0-60, weight, etc are all in line with its closest competitors price wise and spec wise right now (ie. Cayman GTS 4.0, BMW M2C/CS, C8 etc, not even going to include M4/M3 given they're not truly a competitor, no one is cross shopping a sedan and a 2 seater).

Its only ~70lbs heavier than a Cayman GTS 4.0, its almost 500lbs lighter than an M2C/CS, 250lbs lighter than C8.
It does 0-60 somewhere between 4 and 4.5, GTS 4.0 is rated for 4.3 and M2C is 4.0, C8 a bit of an outlier at ~3 seconds.
Horsepower is inline with these as well maybe down a bit on the BMW/C8 but higher with the closest true competitor being the GTS.

Happy to be wrong about this, let me know if I missed a competitor or got the specs wrong, would love to save money and not replace my M2C if the Emira is truly bad.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure how much cheaper it’s gonna be than and Evora? With the bigger engine I read it can exceed 100 grand. Same as Evora gt. So I don’t think the faster loaded Emira is much cheaper than an Evora gt but we will see. The last model did sub 4.0 sec 0 to 60! The Emira will be lucky to do under 4.5! It’s half a sec. I’m not trying to be a jerk it just would’ve been way better if it was a little quicker than the last model instead of slower. It’s totally my opinion tho. Ok this will clear it up. Would you be upset if it had 50 more horsepower and did 0 to 60 in say 3.5 or 3.7? Nobody would! I guess it just looks so much faster than it is and I wish it was! It’s really not much to make it a bit quicker! They can do it and they should!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not sure how much cheaper it’s gonna be than and Evora? With the bigger engine I read it can exceed 100 grand. Same as Evora gt. So I don’t think the faster loaded Emira is much cheaper than an Evora gt but we will see. The last model did sub 4.0 sec 0 to 60! The Emira will be lucky to do under 4.5! It’s half a sec. I’m not trying to be a jerk it just would’ve been way better if it was a little quicker than the last model instead of slower. It’s totally my opinion tho. Ok this will clear it up. Would you be upset if it had 50 more horsepower and did 0 to 60 in say 3.5 or 3.7? Nobody would! I guess it just looks so much faster than it is and I wish it was! It’s really not much to make it a bit quicker! They can do it and they should!
Yeah, I think my point is more so that the Emira is bringing a lot lot lot of new buyers who have never looked at an Evora is a realistic option, the people comparing Emira to Evora aren't truly cross shopping the two. So from a brand's perspective (ie. Lotus), starting a new car to attract new buyers who don't have any brand history, you compare to its competitors not your existing base as much, and in this case the Emira competes pretty well with its competitors, and given the anounced GBP pricing, it comes in at a really competitive price compared to them too, we'll see how it gets priced in NA.

Also, the Evora GT starts around 130,000 here in Canada and goes up to 160,000. If the Emira gets anywhere near that price, then I will happily hop on your train of "WTF Lotus", but I'm expecting it to be well below that to compete with GTS 4.0.

·
Registered
748 Posts
So a question for you all... how come the Evora was not as successful As the Emira will appear to be... does it come down to just looks and price?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here in the US Evora gt is a bit over $100,000. I just went back to check and the high end Emira is gonna be the same. I understand want your saying about people who don’t really know past Lotus cars, but for people who do it’s not good to be slower. I guess I’m saying if it was a bit more horsepower or quicker new and previous Lotus followers would all be happy and to me that’s what they should’ve done. I mean say ur at the track, you come out of a slow turn , and an Evora gt passes you! Not good! Maybe the Emira will sell more than the Evora and they will make more aftermarket upgrades. Pulley. Cam, Ported heads. If that happens then I’m def in! However ill have to wait to see if that happens cause if it doesn’t then I’ll just do a used Evora gt. I still don’t I understand why they made it a little less hp? It’s the same engine! Just take it out of the Evora Gt and put it in the Emira. Even if it was the same hp it would be better than a little less!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So a question for you all... how come the Evora was not as successful As the Emira will appear to be... does it come down to just looks and price?
Because the battery dies every week:) I think the Evora was overpriced! Used for say 70 80 grand was a better deal. No extended warranty was an issue for sure and it will be an issue with the Emira too.Maybe with the new plant they will offer that. If a car company doesn’t offer and extended warranty they are basically telling you they can’t afford to fix problems that your car will have after that and that’s def a negative! I drove almost every Super car at my buddies car club. Then I drove and Evora gt and it was def the best feeling car to drive besides lacking power. All the Emira wound need is more power and it can easily be a contender with the best. No not a 2000 hp 2 million dollar car but make it a little more money and give it 500hp:) Honestly with the Lotus handling and feel that would win over a lot of people.

·
Registered
121 Posts
We don't know that it isn't going to have more power. They rolled out a pre-production model and said that specifications and things could change by the time of production. That means they're still working on it, and now that they know they have a grand slam smash hit of a car, they may very well start doing things they were hoping they could, but wanted to see what the reaction would be to the car first. Now they know. Selling out the first production run in a week, and scrambling to add second and third shifts for production has to be exciting for them. Now they know they're going to have the money to justify doing more than just what was necessary to get the car produced and hope it sells, so maybe we'll see some changes. Hopefully they'll add a few more colors, like white and a true Gold Leaf Team Lotus red, like they have for the Evija.

There's also the possibility that they're playing things close to the vest right now, because they don't want to give away too much to the competition. You can be absolutely certain every car manufacturer in the world has been watching this. If Porsche and others think the Emira isn't going to beat them in performance, and then the production cars suddenly have more performance than they were expecting, that's a smart move. Gives Lotus an edge in the marketplace because it will take time for the competition to match or beat them. Or I could be wrong, and what we see is what we get, although the designer of the car has already stated that the V6 has 416 hp, not 400, but even if that's it, I'm more than fine with that. For those that want a faster car, the i4 is the one that's going to deliver that. I'm not buying it for straight line speed, 0-60 times, or 1/4 mile times. This First Edition with the V6 and 6 speed manual, is almost more of an homage to what Lotus has been for the last 70 years than anything else. It's their last ICE car, and I want one. Period.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,183 Posts
I honestly hope when the Emira does finally come out, we see all the folks who were stoked for it come here and complain how it wasn’t $80,000 like they thought they’d pay, and the ones who get the new E who don’t live close to a dealer will really regret their decision for purchasing it before the mandatory lotus 2 year waiting to work the kinks out period...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I honestly hope when the Emira does finally come out, we see all the folks who were stoked for it come here and complain how it wasn’t $80,000 like they thought they’d pay, and the ones who get the new E who don’t live close to a dealer will really regret their decision for purchasing it before the mandatory lotus 2 year waiting to work the kinks out period...
That's the old Lotus. This is the new Lotus, both the cars and the company. We'll see. If anyone is putting down a deposit on a car who's base price is listed up front as $82,889 U.S. (60,000 pounds) and doesn't expect to add any options, they shouldn't be buying it to begin with. I fully expect to be paying at least somewhere in the 90's, and maybe just above 100 with sales tax. Depends on the options and what I want. Once in awhile in life, I get a feeling about something being a very special 'something', and this car gives me that feeling.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,183 Posts
That's the old Lotus. This is the new Lotus, both the cars and the company. We'll see. If anyone is putting down a deposit on a car who's base price is listed up front as $82,889 U.S. (60,000 pounds) and doesn't expect to add any options, they shouldn't be buying it to begin with. I fully expect to be paying at least somewhere in the 90's, and maybe just above 100 with sales tax. Depends on the options and what I want. Once in awhile in life, I get a feeling about something being a very special 'something', and this car gives me that feeling.
Lol....ok buddy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am curious.. so what do you drive now?

when was it ever said that the Emira was meant to compete against the Evora? Its a new product that is supposed to take sales from other brands..

TBH, if you are joining this forum just to bash the brand and do HP comparison, then forgive me for saying you probably have no experience on what the whole Lotus fuss is all about.

I know everyone is excited about the new car. It’s manual trans, it’s new look, great interior, but what are car companies doing? They make a new car heavier, less horsepower, and slower 0 to 60? Oh I’m so excited! So an evora gt will beat me 0 to 60 and on a 1/4 mile! I know straight line isn’t what it’s all about but it’s still embarrassing. Fine it’s heavier cause it has a complete nicer interior. Fine! Give us 450 hp then. Not less than the last model. Like when mustang came out with a 4.6 liter instead of the 5.0! Bad move as far as I’m concerned. The c8 corvette did it too. It’s way down on horsepower compared to the c7 Zo6 but is way quicker 0 to 60! Less horsepower is fine if it’s faster but the emira is not. Just disappointed! I was really looking forward to buying one but we’ll… it’s just too slow. 0 to 60 above 4 seconds is unfortunately slow these days. Hope more people complain and they boost it up 50hp. Hey the new bronco Sasquatch was goin to be automatic only but enough people complained and now they made the manual trans available in it. Let’s go Lotus give the Emira 450 hp. It should DEFINITELY have more power and be quicker than the previous Evora model!!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here in the US Evora gt is a bit over $100,000. I just went back to check and the high end Emira is gonna be the same. I understand want your saying about people who don’t really know past Lotus cars, but for people who do it’s not good to be slower. I guess I’m saying if it was a bit more horsepower or quicker new and previous Lotus followers would all be happy and to me that’s what they should’ve done. I mean say ur at the track, you come out of a slow turn , and an Evora gt passes you! Not good! Maybe the Emira will sell more than the Evora and they will make more aftermarket upgrades. Pulley. Cam, Ported heads. If that happens then I’m def in! However ill have to wait to see if that happens cause if it doesn’t then I’ll just do a used Evora gt. I still don’t I understand why they made it a little less hp? It’s the same engine! Just take it out of the Evora Gt and put it in the Emira. Even if it was the same hp it would be better than a little less!
It is the same HP as Evora GT? 416hp, theres a video where the guy confirms it with one of the Lotus reps iirc. There is also no word on NA MSRP yet so we don't really know where its going to land.
Dude I get it. You love the old lotus and seemingly really dislike the Emira. But you don’t need to be in every Emira thread gatekeeping the brand and talking **** about the Emira because it’s not an Exige and its bringing new buyers.

Lotus is trying to build a new brand for themselves and us new buyers who you’re hoping will be pushed away are the ones that’ll keep the brand alive and essentially fund more cool cars for you to buy. I know the lotus woes, I’ve followed the brand for a while and done my homework, and I’m happy to support the new lotus with my hopes that it’ll be different from the past and improve. Should try to have that mentality yourself since you seem to love the brand so much.

·
Registered
39 Posts
@Smash135 @GDBB

Head of Lotus Matt Windle said 416hp on video. The 400hp might be to underpromise/overdeliver or CYA for sound/emissions requirements in different localities. So that trickles its way into the estimated acceleration figure.

The Emira's 1,405kg weight is close to the Evora's and follows a European weighing standard that includes fluids and a 75kg human. Consider all the above with the following:

Further, Geely is transforming how Lotus operates. Geely bought them out in 2017 but maintained legacy practices (such has hand assembly) while Geely focused on restructuring their business plan and building out that $100M factory the last 3 years. The structural shift you see now should be similar to how Volvo changed in 2010 when Geely bought them out. Lotus dealers accepting Emira deposits in my state have to let Volvo dealers handle the financials. Traditionally, 2GR-FE related warranty claims would involve dealing with Toyota (fast/inexpensive turnaround in US). Curious to see how warranty claims change (maybe improve) if Geely/Lotus leverages the Volvo dealer network for Lotus-specific parts and continue using Toyota for drivetrain/powertrain.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
@Smash135 @GDBB

Head of Lotus Matt Windle said 416hp on video. The 400hp might be to underpromise/overdeliver or CYA for sound/emissions requirements in different localities. So that trickles its way into the estimated acceleration figure.

The Emira's 1,405kg weight is close to the Evora's and follows a European weighing standard that includes fluids and a 75kg human. Consider all the above with the following:

View attachment 1292488

Further, Geely is transforming how Lotus operates. Geely bought them out in 2017 but maintained legacy practices (such has hand assembly) while Geely focused on restructuring their business plan...
Not much hand assembly for the Emira.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I have two criteria for putting down a deposit:

Getting past the first year to work out the inevitable bugs. If it's without gremlins, it will be the first such Lotus in history.

Better dealer network. Assuming basic depreciation, the only real way to financially rationalize plunking down MSRP for a brand new car is that with the new car you get a warranty. A warranty isn't of much value if the nearest dealer is 3 plus hours away.

This will be especially important as the first year gremlins, big and small, start to surface.

My last Exige still had a year warranty on it when the only 'local' Lotus dealer, Criswell, dropped Lotus (having been one of the longest standing Lotus dealers in the country). At that point the nearest dealer to me (I'm in Annapolis, MD) would've been in Pittsburgh. So I let it go.

I'd like to believe Geely has a plan for establishing a true, stable, accessible Lotus dealer network for the first time in Lotus history.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
It is a British car so the "bugs/gremlins" are called "niggles" and yes the Emira will have some niggles. It will most likely have niggles in each year of production, but maybe more in the first year. For the V6 manual, Lotus is using the somewhat proven Toyota engine they have been using in the Evora, so I expect almost no niggles with the engine and the transmission. The niggles I am expecting with my first edition Emira are with the electronics and/or AC. As far as the poster above stating that the Evora battery dies almost weekly, there is a somewhat easy fix for the battery drain in the form of a battery cut off switch that I and other members have posted on this forum. My dealer is 3 hours away. Took the Evora there one time on an A/C issue and did not like the service department, so that experience inspired me to do any future repairs/maintenance/mods on the Evora myself. Best thing that could have ever happened as working on the Evora has added to the ownership experience. I put down a deposit on an Emira knowing I will probably have some niggles to work out and knowing it will have around 400hp. Would I have liked 450hp, yes- Would I have put down a deposit on the Emira if it had only 370 horse power- YES! Regardless of HP and 0-60 times I will almost guarantee that the Emira will put a smile on the driver's face every time it is driven.

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
Also unfortunately, in your area of MD, there weren't any reliable indies if I remember correctly. In our neck of the woods, Intermeccanica has been the indie go to for Eliges since 2005...but so reliable I never needed them except for a few complicated service items. I suspect choice Volvo dealerships will be all too real. Maybe Valenti gets back into Lotus???

BTW its called a Battery Tender. Keep them on all cars. Haven't had a battery die , except a 6 yr old X5 battery in 30 years. In fact, that is why I run Shorai's successfully.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
17 Posts
Smash135, sounds like the car may not be for you. Despite the marketing, it's effectively a reskinned, updated Evora based on all the evidence I've seen so far. Same chassis, same drivetrain (in the V6), new exterior, better interior, new electronics. It will be competitive. If the Evora has ever been on your radar, I think you'll be happy, if not... maybe you have false expectations or you should wait to see how the First Edition plays out.

1 - 20 of 344 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.