The Lotus Cars Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 220 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,215 Posts
The quote from Lotus of a starting price of under 60k pounds INCLUDES their VAT (value added tax) which I believe is 20%, so that won't apply to cars outside of the U.K. If your country has a VAT that would add to the price, but in the U.S. without the VAT, the starting price should be about $70k.
You're comparing applies and oranges. Evora starts at £88,675 whereas they announced that the Emira will start at £60,000. The price starts to add up when the buyer starts adding more features; similar to building a Porsche, where you can itemize every little thing. So it's all relative to when you build it. There will be people who will back out for their own reasons but potential buyers shouldn't be heavily surprised at the sudden price increase especially if they are the one who's clicking away on the mouse.

The NC NSX is a bad comparison since Honda had to tool everything for manufacturing. The NSX took an initial hit because it missed it's successor target that the NA1/NA2 NSX originally captured. The Emira is sharing the same engine and drivetrain from the Evora so there will be cross-shared components like what most car manufactures do to cut costs. Plus, they have a new factory with fully automated machines to help ramp up production. They want to sell cars, not worry about potentially closing doors.
yea, and how much you think all that factory and machines cost? About $142MM at current exchange rates for the Emira. And the NSX tooling and dev cost was around $72MM. So yea you’re correct not a fair comparison at all! But not in the way you suspected.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You're comparing applies and oranges. Evora starts at £88,675 whereas they announced that the Emira will start at £60,000. The price starts to add up when the buyer starts adding more features; similar to building a Porsche, where you can itemize every little thing. So it's all relative to when you build it. There will be people who will back out for their own reasons but potential buyers shouldn't be heavily surprised at the sudden price increase especially if they are the one who's clicking away on the mouse.

The NC NSX is a bad comparison since Honda had to tool everything for manufacturing. The NSX took an initial hit because it missed it's successor target that the NA1/NA2 NSX originally captured. The Emira is sharing the same engine and drivetrain from the Evora so there will be cross-shared components like what most car manufactures do to cut costs. Plus, they have a new factory with fully automated machines to help ramp up production. They want to sell cars, not worry about potentially closing doors.
Yes and they are banking on a lot of first time Lotus owners buy this and then in a couple of years buy one of their SUV/CUV for family duty. If they get this right Lotus future could be really bright.

·
Registered
101 Posts
yea, and how much you think all that factory and machines cost? About $142MM at current exchange rates for the Emira. And the NSX tooling and dev cost was around $72MM. So yea you’re correct not a fair comparison at all! But not in the way you suspected.
You are talking about a facility that will produce all their future vehicles including their SUV/CUV, which will likely sell many times over what this Emira will do. How many NSX did Honda/Acura sell anyway?

·
Registered
6,971 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
You are talking about a facility that will produce all their future vehicles including their SUV/CUV, which will likely sell many times over what this Emira will do. How many NSX did Honda/Acura sell anyway?
You HAD to bring Joe Biden into i.
come on man!!! Careful, you’re gonna get daddy to bring down the hammer for political talk....freedom of speech is not that free around here.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Less, more, or the same the gen 5 viper was advertised to be faster than the gen 4 when it came out. Yes, I do agree with how cars run in the real world vs what manufactures say. Funny my example is with an r8 plus as well. I had a 2006 viper with just headers, exhaust, and intake. R888’s of course. The Audi R8 was a 2019 I believe. From a 60 roll maybe I was 1 car ahead. We did it 5 times. Not only was he surprised but so was I! Plus there are those cars that are special. I think your orange car was special! Not all gen 4’s would be that fast. We’ll see how the Emira turns out. Hope they just make a version faster than the old one for me:) The whole thing is incredible tho. Great looking car!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Instead its a bunch of guys arguing about cars that couldn't be further away from being cross-shopped with Lotus (C8s, really?), lack of horsepower, and other non driver-centric grumblings. I expected the vibe here to be a bit more enthusiast and mature, whereas it seems a lot of people in here are more about flash and bench racing.
People don't have to exclusively like one type of sports car and dismiss the other. It's esp. valid to cross-shop C8 vs Emira given they're similarly priced and the buyer is aware of the differences (which I tried to outline here because they're my top 2 choices, each giving bang-for-buck in different areas I value).

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
come on man!!! Careful, you’re gonna get daddy to bring down the hammer for political talk....freedom of speech is not that free around here.
You’re a dog faced pony soldier.
Less, more, or the same the gen 5 viper was advertised to be faster than the gen 4 when it came out. Yes, I do agree with how cars run in the real world vs what manufactures say. Funny my example is with an r8 plus as well. I had a 2006 viper with just headers, exhaust, and intake. R888’s of course. The Audi R8 was a 2019 I believe. From a 60 roll maybe I was 1 car ahead. We did it 5 times. Not only was he surprised but so was I! Plus there are those cars that are special. I think your orange car was special! Not all gen 4’s would be that fast. We’ll see how the Emira turns out. Hope they just make a version faster than the old one for me:) The whole thing is incredible tho. Great looking car!
If you’ve never driven, let alone owned (or seen one in person?) an ’old’ one, what do you care if it’s faster or slower? You have no true frame of reference other than what’s on paper. That’s called bench racing. Great fun with buddies over a beer, but otherwise useless in a practical sense.

REALLY Old timers on here will remember a rather interesting member who used to post. Mamovaka. He bought an Elise, then bashed it here incessantly for being underpowered. Sold it, bought a Viper, and nearly lost the SCCA an autocross location in the Philadelphia area when he did burnouts at an event in his Viper. Not one he was competing in, mind you. He was simply trying to show off as he pulled out of the parking lot. He never actually competed in anything.

Came off as a trust fund baby who, in his early 20’s and not particularly gainfully employed, went through the Lotus, Viper, Ferrari, and Lamborghini and Lord knows what else …and was shamed off of forums for all those cars. For posts much like this. Deja Vu. Or maybe reincarnation. Or maybe return from the witness protection program.

Reactions: GDBB

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
You’re a dog faced pony soldier.

If you’ve never driven, let alone owned (or seen one in person?) an ’old’ one, what do you care if it’s faster or slower? You have no true frame of reference other than what’s on paper. That’s called bench racing. Great fun with buddies over a beer, but otherwise useless in a practical sense.

REALLY Old timers on here will remember a rather interesting member who used to post. Mamovaka. He bought an Elise, then bashed it here incessantly for being underpowered. Sold it, bought a Viper, and nearly lost the SCCA an autocross location in the Philadelphia area when he did burnouts at an event. Not one he was competing in, mind you. He was simply trying to show off as he pulled out of the parking lot. He never actually competed in anything.

Came off as a trust fund baby who, in his early 20’s and not particularly gainfully employed, went through the Lotus, Viper, Ferrari, and Lamborghini and Lord knows what else …and was shamed off of forums for all those cars. For posts much like this. Deja Vu. Or maybe reincarnation. Or maybe return from the witness protection program.
Um... excuse me, that’s a LYING dog faced pony solider to you.... COME ON MAN!

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Um... excuse me, that’s a LYING dog faced pony solider to you.... COME ON MAN!
I stand corrected. Now excuse me, I need to go restore a submarine. No…I meant helicopter.

Reactions: GDBB

·
Registered
1994 Supra TT 6 speed MKIV
60 Posts
Doesn't matter. 51%, Geely got deep pockets...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes and they are banking on a lot of first time Lotus owners buy this and then in a couple of years buy one of their SUV/CUV for family duty. If they get this right Lotus future could be really bright.
Yeah, that would be the next chapter sharing the platform with Volvo. The Emira already caused enough buzz. This will make the hardcore Lotus owners to lose their minds. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
60 Posts
It all matters when it comes down to ROI. Even if your company is worth $30.34B. They didn’t get to that number being stupid.
Who says they won't have a strong ROI? They are just getting started.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Not to digress this thread but your Viper comment made me chuckle. The irony is that the Gen 5 Vipers actually make less rwhp than the Gen 4s. Gen 4s routinely make 550-560whp where's gen 5s are in the 530-545whp range (usually)--the gen 5s much steeper rear end ratio sap a bit of the wheel hp. Gen 4s were also very underrated by Dodge.

I understand that as a new Lotus customer I am not saddled with any previous baggage or expectations--which affects the lens existing owners view the Emira with. But you're projecting your personal need to be satisfied by a 0-60 claim onto the rest of the market place, and these people aren't waiting. My local Lotus dealer has 33 pre-orders, with more trickling in every week. This is a dealer that sold TWO Evoras last year. People are voting with their wallets, and even if half of them don't follow through this is shaping up to be a homerun for the brand.

I'd have to ask why people are so hung up on acceleration times? What manufacturers quote vs how the cars run real world can be vastly different. There is a huge difference in perception and reality, and when it comes to sales its really the former that drives buyers. I'll give a real-world example. I have an i8. I hear nothing but how slow they are, how expensive they are for the power, how I'd rather buy a used "xyz" that does this 0-60 yada yada. Have you ever heard someone say an R8 V10+ is dog-**** slow? (I've heard it plenty about the i8). So that's the perception. Here is the reality;

Not to digress this thread but your Viper comment made me chuckle. The irony is that the Gen 5 Vipers actually make less rwhp than the Gen 4s. Gen 4s routinely make 550-560whp where's gen 5s are in the 530-545whp range (usually)--the gen 5s much steeper rear end ratio sap a bit of the wheel hp. Gen 4s were also very underrated by Dodge.

I understand that as a new Lotus customer I am not saddled with any previous baggage or expectations--which affects the lens existing owners view the Emira with. But you're projecting your personal need to be satisfied by a 0-60 claim onto the rest of the market place, and these people aren't waiting. My local Lotus dealer has 33 pre-orders, with more trickling in every week. This is a dealer that sold TWO Evoras last year. People are voting with their wallets, and even if half of them don't follow through this is shaping up to be a homerun for the brand.

I'd have to ask why people are so hung up on acceleration times? What manufacturers quote vs how the cars run real world can be vastly different. There is a huge difference in perception and reality, and when it comes to sales its really the former that drives buyers. I'll give a real-world example. I have an i8. I hear nothing but how slow they are, how expensive they are for the power, how I'd rather buy a used "xyz" that does this 0-60 yada yada. Have you ever heard someone say an R8 V10+ is dog-**** slow? (I've heard it plenty about the i8). So that's the perception. Here is the reality;

The advertised Gen 5 viper horsepower was 640. The advertised gen 4 was 600. As you know I’m sure whether the numbers were higher than stated on the gen 4 or not the new gen was advertised higher making most past and future Viper owners happy. If the gen 5 was advertised as 595 hp, eh not as exciting to many. That’s all I’m saying.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Who says they won't have a strong ROI? They are just getting started.
Why don’t you learn to reread what’s posted. I never said they wouldn’t have a good ROI. Never said the SUV was a bad idea, but if they don’t get more service centers for the brand and people who know how to work on them, then it’s not going to get any better then it already is. Especially if the SUV comes to life and they don’t have more service centers. Cause you know as well I I do that Karen isnt gonna work on the darn thing herself, but she’ll sure bash the brand since the research wasn’t done on serviceability.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ady gearing up for 2nd and 3rd shifts for producing a car that isn't even going to start production until next year. They appear to have actually planned to succeed, and now that they know they have, they're going to be ready.
Yeah, that would be the next chapter sharing the platform with Volvo. The Emira already caused enough buzz. This will make the hardcore Lotus owners to lose their minds. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 1292709
I for one am excited to see what a Lotus SUV would be like, maybe give a Stelvio Q, Macan Turbo, etc a run for their money. I'm guessing it will be EV as well?

Lest you guys forget the Porsche purists when the Cayenne was announced. The forums looked like Stalingrad, the sky was falling. Funny enough the 2 cars most hated by self proclaimed porsche guys are the Boxster (which single-handedly saved the company in the 90s from bankruptcy), and the SUVs--who continued Porsches financial climb and enabled the GT cars to get funding.

I see no problems with bread & butter vehicles if that allows them to cater to enthusiasts with other products.

201 - 220 of 344 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.