The Lotus Cars Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
221 - 240 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Less, more, or the same the gen 5 viper was advertised to be faster than the gen 4 when it came out. Yes, I do agree with how cars run in the real world vs what manufactures say. Funny my example is with an r8 plus as well. I had a 2006 viper with just headers, exhaust, and intake. R888’s of course. The Audi R8 was a 2019 I believe. From a 60 roll maybe I was 1 car ahead. We did it 5 times. Not only was he surprised but so was I! Plus there are those cars that are special. I think your orange car was special! Not all gen 4’s would be that fast. We’ll see how the Emira turns out. Hope they just make a version faster than the old one for me:) The whole thing is incredible tho. Great looking car!
I dont think there was anything special about my Gen 4, people had just never seen what a re-geared Viper would run like on the street with a sticky tire, and at that time 99% of people confused gen 3s for gen 4s (as only the hood gave away the entirely different car underneath).

·
Registered
17 Posts
The advertised Gen 5 viper horsepower was 640. The advertised gen 4 was 600. As you know I’m sure whether the numbers were higher than stated on the gen 4 or not the new gen was advertised higher making most past and future Viper owners happy. If the gen 5 was advertised as 595 hp, eh not as exciting to many. That’s all I’m saying.
No arguments there. Most consumers magazine race and live and die by the "stat sheet". I just didnt expect Lotus guys to care haha, you guys are supposed to be in it for the "love of the drive!" ;)

Reactions: Eagle7

·
Registered
1994 Supra TT 6 speed MKIV
60 Posts
Why don’t you learn to reread what’s posted. I never said they wouldn’t have a good ROI. Never said the SUV was a bad idea, but if they don’t get more service centers for the brand and people who know how to work on them, then it’s not going to get any better then it already is. Especially if the SUV comes to life and they don’t have more service centers. Cause you know as well I I do that Karen isnt gonna work on the darn thing herself, but she’ll sure bash the brand since the research wasn’t done on serviceability.
I'll use Porsche again as an example. Look when VAG bailed them out and then PAG streamlined all of the NA dealerships to a new uniform look. You have to spend money to make money. Look where they are at now.

Do you think that these overseas investors are not looking at all aspects of their product? They have to expand dealerships, service, parts, distribution and quality if they want to succeed. They have to expand in NA and would be a dumb move not to.

There's a reason why Louis Vuitton toting, IG selfie taking, Gucci wearing Karen's love Range Rovers. They wouldn't dare break a nail to bust a nut but they'll easily pay

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
No arguments there. Most consumers magazine race and live and die by the "stat sheet". I just didnt expect Lotus guys to care haha, you guys are supposed to be in it for the "love of the drive!" ;)
I’m not a Lotus guy yet:) I’m in it for the drive unless it’s slower than the Gt.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,215 Posts
I'll use Porsche again as an example. Look when VAG bailed them out and then PAG streamlined all of the NA dealerships to a new uniform look. You have to spend money to make money. Look where they are at now.

Do you think that these overseas investors are not looking at all aspects of their product? They have to expand dealerships, service, parts, distribution and quality if they want to succeed. They have to expand in NA and would be a dumb move not to.

There's a reason why Louis Vuitton toting, IG selfie taking, Gucci wearing Karen's love Range Rovers. They wouldn't dare break a nail to bust a nut but they'll easily pay

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
I dont think there was anything special about my Gen 4, people had just never seen what a re-geared Viper would run like on the street with a sticky tire, and at that time 99% of people confused gen 3s for gen 4s (as only the hood gave away the entirely different car underneath).
If memory serves you did a 10.4 with that car on 19 inch tires. That’s a special car even tho you can drive it’s still an exceptional car. Curious to see what your gen 5 turns.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
You’re a dog faced pony soldier.

If you’ve never driven, let alone owned (or seen one in person?) an ’old’ one, what do you care if it’s faster or slower? You have no true frame of reference other than what’s on paper. That’s called bench racing. Great fun with buddies over a beer, but otherwise useless in a practical sense.

REALLY Old timers on here will remember a rather interesting member who used to post. Mamovaka. He bought an Elise, then bashed it here incessantly for being underpowered. Sold it, bought a Viper, and nearly lost the SCCA an autocross location in the Philadelphia area when he did burnouts at an event in his Viper. Not one he was competing in, mind you. He was simply trying to show off as he pulled out of the parking lot. He never actually competed in anything.

Came off as a trust fund baby who, in his early 20’s and not particularly gainfully employed, went through the Lotus, Viper, Ferrari, and Lamborghini and Lord knows what else …and was shamed off of forums for all those cars. For posts much like this. Deja Vu. Or maybe reincarnation. Or maybe return from the witness protection program.
I drove many Evoras and 2 Gt’s. I wasn’t bashing anything. I was just saying I hope it is faster than what I saw it advertised at! That’s all I was saying! If it’s it’s not faster than the previous models I drove I would be disappointed. Really don’t think that was so bad. This whole thing got crazy fast! Wasn’t bashing the car was just hoping it’s faster than the last model cause it cost the same and would hope it would have a better warranty or an option to pay to extend it. I stated it’s a beautiful car. I care if it’s faster or slower cause I drove the Evoras and would like the Emira to be faster. Don’t really think that’s a big deal. K, I’ll change it. I hope the Emira is the same exact speed or a little slower than the Evora gt. There! Now we can all get along:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Why don’t you learn to reread what’s posted. I never said they wouldn’t have a good ROI. Never said the SUV was a bad idea, but if they don’t get more service centers for the brand and people who know how to work on them, then it’s not going to get any better then it already is. Especially if the SUV comes to life and they don’t have more service centers. Cause you know as well I I do that Karen isnt gonna work on the darn thing herself, but she’ll sure bash the brand since the research wasn’t done on serviceability.
Serviceability in the US is my main concern but Geely might already be on top of it. Screenshot from this post:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Doesn't the parent company Geeley also own a controlling interest in Volvo? Why not just recruit a bunch of Volvo dealers to take on the Lotus name and make it a joint dealership. Or is Volvo too pedestrian for Lotus owners? I for one think Volvo would be a great place to buy a Lotus and have it serviced.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Doesn't the parent company Geeley also own a controlling interest in Volvo? Why not just recruit a bunch of Volvo dealers to take on the Lotus name and make it a joint dealership. Or is Volvo too pedestrian for Lotus owners? I for one think Volvo would be a great place to buy a Lotus and have it serviced.
Maybe they are. That would be cheaper than building a bunch of brand new dealerships.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Let's hope so. For the buying experience its fun to buy a Lotus at the same dealership as an Aston, or Lambo, etc. but when it comes to service, would just like a factory shop near by with people who've been trained to know the car is all...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Let's hope so. For the buying experience its fun to buy a Lotus at the same dealership as an Aston, or Lambo, etc. but when it comes to service, would just like a factory shop near by with people who've been trained to know the car is all...
Isn't that kind of like buying a Toyota Camry at a Lexus dealer. Not really that important for me personally.

·
Loves to talk
1,385 Posts
I was at our local dealership and was surprised to see a pile of Volvos showing top. The Lotus dealer here is Carlock who have multiple dealerships all over the south although the Nashville store is the only one I know of that sells Lotus. In any case, it seems that Carlock in Nashville (they also sell Bentley, Rolls, Alfa, Maserati) has acquired Volvo as well. I wonder if that's a coincidence or if Geely is approaching other selected Volvo dealerships. As speculated many time here before, iy would make sense.

I also heard they are putting together new support programs for Emir but I was also told that the Evora's (and presumably other legacy models) have not been included in the discussions. Not supporting discontinued models would suck and makes Papa very unhappy to contemplate. Also sends a subtle but clear message that when they are through producing a model, they count it as history. Getting more dealers on board is meaningless unless they support their recent production properly. All of the recent models, not just the newest ones.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Isn't that kind of like buying a Toyota Camry at a Lexus dealer. Not really that important for me personally.
Depends... If the Lexus dealer has a nicer showroom then the Toyota dealer, I suppose so. My point is that from a buying perspective, I can see the experience being preferred if its at fewer, "specialty" car dealers rather than buying a Lotus at a Volvo dealer, for some. But when it comes to service, which is what most people care about when it comes to having a dealer near by, it really shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I also heard they are putting together new support programs for Emir but I was also told that the Evora's (and presumably other legacy models) have not been included in the discussions. Not supporting discontinued models would suck and makes Papa very unhappy to contemplate. Also sends a subtle but clear message that when they are through producing a model, they count it as history. Getting more dealers on board is meaningless unless they support their recent production properly. All of the recent models, not just the newest ones.
Well considering rumor has it you can't even get replacement fenders for the Evora, yes I car still technically being sold, its not a shock. Lotus should be ashamed if true, just straight up abandoning the past models so quickly. Honestly this is biggest thing that makes me question getting another one and scares me about keeping my Evora.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well considering rumor has it you can't even get replacement fenders for the Evora, yes I car still technically being sold, its not a shock. Lotus should be ashamed if true, just straight up abandoning the past models so quickly. Honestly this is biggest thing that makes me question getting another one and scares me about keeping my Evora.
Do you think this might be different with a new manufacturing facility and selling in greater numbers?

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Do you think this might be different with a new manufacturing facility and selling in greater numbers?
The new facilities aren't going to be building Evora and Elige parts at some point. As it stands, it seems like Lotus is getting rid of their trim shop as well, and outsourcing that, so if any interior pieces need replacing for the older/current vehicle models, it would have to be ad hoc, and I don't think they'll keep a supply of leather around if they've already sold off the sewing equipment.

Windle did confirm in the TLF interview that they're at least aware of the scarcity of replacement parts, and that current owners aren't too pleased by that. But who knows if they actually intend on addressing those concerns, or if they're just going to slowly abandon those vehicles.

·
Registered
2007 Phantom Black Exige S
253 Posts
I was at our local dealership and was surprised to see a pile of Volvos showing top. The Lotus dealer here is Carlock who have multiple dealerships all over the south although the Nashville store is the only one I know of that sells Lotus. In any case, it seems that Carlock in Nashville (they also sell Bentley, Rolls, Alfa, Maserati) has acquired Volvo as well. I wonder if that's a coincidence or if Geely is approaching other selected Volvo dealerships. As speculated many time here before, iy would make sense.

Will be interesting to see what Geely does in terms of utilizing Volvo dealerships. I suspect they will use select sites given productions numbers, population density and demand in specific geographies, and perhaps scale to accommodate the SUV and other models (BEVs?) over time.

Gator Motorsport is saying roughly 600 Emira for the first year to the US. Can't see all 287 US Volvo dealerships offering service.

I'm pretty much in a bind living in W Montana. Spokane is reasonably close if they select that location we already service two of our cars there (one is a Volvo). Otherwise it's Seattle or SLC. Boise may be a possibility as well.

221 - 240 of 344 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.