The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Supra TT 6 speed MKIV
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very cool to see how the initial factory facility will handle the assembly and AGV support. This should help ramp up production at an estimated number of 4800 units/year.

·
Registered
109 Posts
currently on the Evora the removal of the rear and front clam shell is quite labor intense , Any idea if this will remain as standard on the Emira

·
Registered
84 Posts
currently on the Evora the removal of the rear and front clam shell is quite labor intense , Any idea if this will remain as standard on the Emira
I hope they can make improvements on this front. Its crucial in reducing service time and complexity.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
I'm not sure where this belief is coming from; aside from a bunch of bolts, and a helping hand to help you lift (since the clams are quite wide), it's not extremely difficult, nor time-consuming (the official book rate is only ~6 hours, combined, for both clam removals and refits).

While I don't disagree that tilting clams would make working on things easier, none of the regular maintenance items require clam removal. I can't imagine Lotus adding weight for a clam hinge system on the Emira.

EDIT: From the factory video posted above, it looks like the front clam on the Emira has now been sectioned into separate pieces vs. the Evora. There should be a bumper cover, two front fender pieces, and then a center section. I'm guessing the center section will be easier to remove if they retain the same location for the brake and clutch reservoir, which was located under a front hatch that doesn't seem to exist on the Emira.

·
Registered
2014 Evora S IPS Sports Racer (Aspen White)
20 Posts
On the UK TV Programme "Lotus: A New Dawn" which aired last weekend (and will probably be available on YouTube soon, if not already), you can also see what appears to be a new 4-piece front end (LH Wing/Fender, Centre Section, RH Wing/Fender, Bumper), i.e. the end of the front clamshell and "A" panels in front of the doors....

Matt Windle even describes "the left-hand front fender" at this point.....

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
At the 50 sec. mark in the video, you can clearly see the front fenders, so it does seem like 4 parts: two front fenders, front fascia. and "hood" (bonnet?). How easy it is to remove the hood seems to be key.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
On the UK TV Programme "Lotus: A New Dawn" which aired last weekend (and will probably be available on YouTube soon, if not already), you can also see what appears to be a new 4-piece front end (LH Wing/Fender, Centre Section, RH Wing/Fender, Bumper), i.e. the end of the front clamshell and "A" panels in front of the doors....
That white Emira comes with a built-in hand sanitizer pump too :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,198 Posts
I tried to register to watch the video on Channel Four Television and it is only available to UK citizens. Maybe it's time to pull out a VPN.

·
Registered
109 Posts
great news to have the front end in four separate pieces, bumper , 2 front fenders and hood . having access to MASTER BRAKE, SLAVE CYLINDER , AC, RADITOR will be a game changer for basic services . Now lets hope for a new solution to access the engine and tranny . Clutch replacement costs are from what I read up tp 9K OMG

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

View attachment 1292647

Matt Windle even describes "the left-hand front fender" at this point.....

View attachment 1292648

They usually refer to the fenders as "wings" so surprising that they called them fenders. :ROFLMAO: I hope the front end is a 4 piece unit as well. It'll make things a lot easier for DIY, maintenance, mods and accident repair.

Here is an interior walk through to add to this thread as well.

·
Registered
711 Posts
So they DO have it in white. I wonder why that isn't in the configurator, unless they plan on changing it before ordering begins?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I just finished watching the video. I'm now more impressed than ever, and I'm SO glad I'm getting one of these. Listening to the background stories of the people in charge, the designers, the workers... these are true enthusiasts, and that's why this car looks and feels 'right'. They did it, and whether or not they see this or it means anything to them, I'm so proud of what they've done! GOOD JOB LADIES AND GENTS!

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
219 Posts
So they DO have it in white. I wonder why that isn't in the configurator, unless they plan on changing it before ordering begins?
The colors listed currently are just for the First Edition -- a limited range of colors while Lotus gets the first cars out the door. More colors will be added later once the First Edition cars are completed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 20 of 27 Posts