The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I used MATLAB image processing to generate the average of each color swatch from the Emira configurator then applied them as overlays in paint.net. I concede some colors may not look accurate but won't bother messing with them because I'm colorblind--the math works good enough for me.
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Car
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Car
Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Cloud

Original livery for reference:
Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Car

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,241 Posts
Your results are stunning in MATLAB. Is the workflow relatively easy or is it rather laborious? I only have Photoshop and I don't use it enough to be proficient.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Id have t trade in if they launch an Emira GT and it looks anything close to that 4th one down in green

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your results are stunning in MATLAB. Is the workflow relatively easy or is it rather laborious? I only have Photoshop and I don't use it enough to be proficient.
Most of the laborious work was done manually in paint.net. All I did in MATLAB was load the 6 files .png swatch files from the configurator (here's blue for example). MATLAB reads in the image data and stores it as the 'cdata' variable.
Blue Sky Electric blue Magenta Horizon

Then ran this script on each to calculate the average RGB values of the entire swatch (instead of manually using a color picker to arbitrarily pick 1 pixel on the swatch to represent blue):

cdata=evalin('base','cdata');
r=cdata( :, :, 1 );
g=cdata( :, :, 2 );
b=cdata( :, :, 3 );
imwrite((cat(3,repmat(mean2(r),200),repmat(mean2(g),200),repmat(mean2(b),200)))/255,'mean.png');

Example of the output "averaged" blue which I then use to define my overlay color in paint.net:
Blue Azure Violet Electric blue Pattern

1 - 7 of 7 Posts