The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1997 lotus esprit
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a year of constant comparisons posted.. As a potential Emira customer.. and Lotus aficionado…. Having a hard time with the 400Z at 30-40k less vs Emira. Specs are out. Have a look. Interesting

·
Registered
358 Posts
Looks like a VERY nice car, especially for the money.

Savagegeese compared it to the hideous Supra, putting identical tires on both, and while the Supra was still faster, they seemed to like the Z more, both on the street and the track. I'm sure the video has already been posted in the Z thread.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
The Z specs are great, but it still looks like a Z to me. Which isn't a bad thing (I had a 350Z previously), but the Emira looks like a Lotus, which is definitely a good thing. Up to the one writing the check to decide whether the looks are worthy of the extra dough. Aside from looks, I'm confident that the Emira will still offer Lotus' precision handling and steering, whereas the Z will likely still drive like a Z, but maybe a bit faster now.

·
Registered
1997 lotus esprit
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a VERY nice car, especially for the money.

Savagegeese compared it to the hideous Supra, putting identical tires on both, and while the Supra was still faster, they seemed to like the Z more, both on the street and the track. I'm sure the video has already been posted in the Z thread.
I’m obviously an Esprit guy.. love the Evora.. and trying to figure out the Emira in my head. Lotus could have made it a lot easier lol.. both 4 and 6 have much more potential.. I don’t get it! But haven’t experienced the Emira yet of course

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Here's some of the questions my brain would use to help make my decision:
1) Do I want to tinker?
2) Do I want to modify?
3) How important is the aftermarket?
4) Can I tinker/modify from both aspects of having the ability (tools, resources, $$, etc) and having the opportunity by NOT living in CA and thus not being able to modify the car from Stock due to legal/EPA issues?
5) What will I be doing with the car? Looking at it? Tracking? Autocross? Slamming it? Wrapping it? Daily Driver? Easy Ingress/Egress?
6) Do I expect to have a unique car? Visually? Mechanically?
7) How important is the Dealer/Tech support? Ties back into everything else on whether or not you have the skills and resources to work on yourself or need to have others do it?
8) Drive a lot or Garage Queen?
9) Others?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Z specs are great, but it still looks like a Z to me. Which isn't a bad thing (I had a 350Z previously), but the Emira looks like a Lotus, which is definitely a good thing. Up to the one writing the check to decide whether the looks are worthy of the extra dough. Aside from looks, I'm confident that the Emira will still offer Lotus' precision handling and steering, whereas the Z will likely still drive like a Z, but maybe a bit faster now.
Exactly!! Completely agree!! 👍

·
Registered
109 Posts
1) Do I want to tinker?
2) Do I want to modify?
4) Can I tinker/modify from both aspects of having the ability (tools, resources, $$, etc) and having the opportunity by NOT living in CA and thus not being able to modify the car from Stock due to legal/EPA issues?
5) What will I be doing with the car? Looking at it? Tracking? Autocross? Slamming it? Wrapping it? Daily Driver? Easy Ingress/Egress?
7) How important is the Dealer/Tech support? Ties back into everything else on whether or not you have the skills and resources to work on yourself or need to have others do it?
9) Others?
Truly excellent questions!! Thank you for sharing them!!

I would add ... "10) How reliable do you want/need/expect it to be for almost $100K?" (USD)?

·
Registered
1997 lotus esprit
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If Lotus can’t provide evidence that the Emira has a 25yr/2000 mile warranty like my esprit.. I’m gonna walk! 😂 my regional dealer at Easy Cash Pawn has provided excellent customer service btw

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
1) Do I want to tinker?
2) Do I want to modify?
9) Others?
Do I want a car with sublime handling or do I want the latest iteration of a car prone to snap oversteer at the limit??? This will eliminate the purchase money saved in 10 seconds

The cars I have most frequently seen in inside walls are S2000 and 350/370Z. LRP, WGI, NJMP

·
Registered
823 Posts
no offense to anyone here, but if one need justification, then the safe choice is to get a Z. After all, it is just seconds to the Lotus performance/handling. I would say the same for S2000 vs the Elige.

·
Registered
888 Posts
If you are a Lotus aficionado, you already know that Lotus bring to the table. It's all boil down to the money. I'm a Lotus guy, so the z is not for me. I already have 3 Lotus, if I want another car, it will be a Lotus.

I dont see as much 'lotus' in the Emira as I do a car built for more 'mass market' appeal.

I get it, they have to make money. I just dont 'feel' as much Lotus as I would have liked. Seems like the needle of who they are trying to please with the car went much more towards the middle and in doing so the car is boring.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I dont see as much 'lotus' in the Emira as I do a car built for more 'mass market' appeal.

I get it, they have to make money. I just dont 'feel' as much Lotus as I would have liked. Seems like the needle of who they are trying to please with the car went much more towards the middle and in doing so the car is boring.
Is this opinion based on seeing the Emira in person at a dealership, sitting in it, listening to startup and rev.... or even being fortunate to ride in one at a DE event? I'd be interested in those details.
Dealer demos are coming or are on US tour within 4-6 weeks. Can't wait for firsthand experience.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts