The Lotus Cars Community banner

Emira factory setting - SPORT vs TOUR

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the Emira reveal event interview, it seems like that

the buyer has to decide between “Sport setting“ or “Tour setting” when ordering Emira.
(It is a hardware setting from the factory that cannot be changed after the vehicle is produced, and it is different from the changeble mode).

Is the Sport setting a no-brainer? (even for non-tracking?) or is it too much for daily use?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd have to get a more detailed description of what those settings actually are before I decide one way or the other. If sport setting is stiffer suspension, bushings and shocks for track, I'd go with the Tour setting since I'm not going to take mine on the track. If Sport setting is related to power and throttle response curves, I'd go for it.

Maybe you could add a third option to the poll; an undecided yet option.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Lotus Elise
1,899 Posts
I think you are getting sport and touring "settings" mixed up with packages. Prior Lotus had packages that made differences in what hardware was delivered on the car such as suspension, brakes components, power windows, etc. We will have to wait until the dealers have more info on the packages, what is included, and what the costs are. No way to make a choice now based upon almost no information.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
642 Posts
Will have to see whats different about them to really decide. I have a Sport/Touring Elise and its fine.

Reactions: vcappp

·
Registered
310 Posts
This quote from this page

makes it sound like this is a build decision rather than a switch on the dash:

"The car has two defined chassis and suspension settings. Tour is tuned for everyday road use, delivering the optimum blend of Lotus dynamic performance and handling with a more comfortable ride. Sports is available with the optional Lotus Drivers Pack and provides a slightly stiffer suspension set-up for enhanced dynamic capability and feel. Hydraulic steering provides excellent feedback for the driver. "

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This quote from this page

makes it sound like this is a build decision rather than a switch on the dash:

"The car has two defined chassis and suspension settings. Tour is tuned for everyday road use, delivering the optimum blend of Lotus dynamic performance and handling with a more comfortable ride. Sports is available with the optional Lotus Drivers Pack and provides a slightly stiffer suspension set-up for enhanced dynamic capability and feel. Hydraulic steering provides excellent feedback for the driver. "
The last sentence. Does this mean that hydraulic steering is available with both or only Sport? I saw somehow Lotus adds the latest technolgies such as lane keeping assistance (which the enthusiasts don’t even want it but Lotus had to add it due to regulation?). Doesn’t it require electronic steering? or course, i do not want electronic steering wheel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The last sentence. Does this mean that hydraulic steering is available with both or only Sport? I saw somehow Lotus adds the latest technolgies such as lane keeping assistance (which the enthusiasts don’t even want it but Lotus had to add it due to regulation?). Doesn’t it require electronic steering? or course, i do not want electronic steering wheel.
From the press releases, the driver assist features included:
  • adaptive cruise control
  • driver attention monitor
  • traffic sign information
  • lane departure warnings
  • lane change assist
  • rear cross traffic alerts

The ones in question are:
  • lane departure warnings which is likely just some sort of chime of vibration through the steering wheel.
  • lane change assist which is likely just a light on the inside of the mirror and chime/vibration if you start to change lanes with an object there.

Don't think either of those options will steer for you nor require an electric rack.

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
Don't get sport if you don't track it or want the best driving comfort possible with little to no sacrifice in handling. Get the sport model if you like stiffer rides. Lots of folks that bought Sport model Elises wish they hadn't ......Stiffer does not mean more fun. In less skilled hands its far easier to explore the handling capabilities of a softer sprung car v the hyper nature of stiffer. I VERY OFTEN make my students start the day on vehicles with adjustable suspensions in its softest most compliant mode so they can learn to feel what is happening. Instead of heavily adjustable dampers, Lotus is giving us 2 flavors as god intended.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New to Lotus here, what differences do the Sport models typically add? Suspension/wheels/tires?

Don't get sport if you don't track it or want the best driving comfort possible with little to no sacrifice in handling. Get the sport model if you like stiffer rides. Lots of folks that bought Sport model Elises wish they hadn't ......Stiffer does not mean more fun. In less skilled hands its far easier to explore the handling capabilities of a softer sprung car v the hyper nature of stiffer. I VERY OFTEN make my students start the day on vehicles with adjustable suspensions in its softest most compliant mode so they can learn to feel what is happening. Instead of heavily adjustable dampers, Lotus is giving us 2 flavors as god intended.

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
Often more aggressive tires. say cup2's v PS4's. Cup2 99% unnecessary on a public road unless you live somewhere it doesn't go below 60-70 degrees. Major complaint on Sport pack Elises were the A048's understeered....duh they were cold!!
Stiffer springs/bushings
Lighter wheels...often forged
Doubtful it will be power related or throttle response related as that is usually already baked in as on the Evora as a simple button.
Exhaust is usually an option. If its Janspeed crap, don't bother as they can't tune a piano.

Hope that helps. I have spents a lot of years in a lot of different Elises, Exiges and Evoras.....street and track, stock and stripped out

Reactions: vcappp and liewyel

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,799 Posts
Both of my Elises had the sport suspension and it was fine. Not too harsh. And of course on the Exige it came standard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Super helpful. Is it likely that I'll want to swap those out for aftermarket alternatives with the intent of regular track days?

I currently have a Focus RS. The general recommendation for these cars is to downsize wheels -> 18s and go to cheaper track tires. Maybe springs/coilovers when you get fast. Any similar notions w/ Lotuses?

Often more aggressive tires. say cup2's v PS4's. Cup2 99% unnecessary on a public road unless you live somewhere it doesn't go below 60-70 degrees. Major complaint on Sport pack Elises were the A048's understeered....duh they were cold!!
Stiffer springs/bushings
Lighter wheels...often forged
Doubtful it will be power related or throttle response related as that is usually already baked in as on the Evora as a simple button.
Exhaust is usually an option. If its Janspeed crap, don't bother as they can't tune a piano.

Hope that helps. I have spents a lot of years in a lot of different Elises, Exiges and Evoras.....street and track, stock and stripped out

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for thehelpful information. Quick question: if i don’t track, but i do not want a chasis rolling left/right when turning the vehicle on cornering. Do i need to get Sport? or Tour?

·
Registered
131 Posts
yea i think its a full on decision you have to make when ordering..at least in Europe.. who knows here..

I'd do sport, I will/do track

Reactions: vcappp

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you for your sage advice. For many, myself included, we're tempted by the word sport but in actuality would be a pain to live with if we're mostly driving around town with the occasional trip to the track. You've convinced me to go with the touring/standard pack.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone here know what effective ride frequencies regular and sport rates have been used in the past for the Evora? I suspect Lotus won’t stray far from the same ride frequencies for the Emira.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts