The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
I know this is a dumb question but why can't an automaker simply take a previously produced vehicle and just re-tool it to make it more modern - like take the old mk2 Mr2/ Fd RX7/ mkiv Supra, strengthen the chassis a bit and slap a more modern engine in it with updated electronics (hmm I guess like Nissan is doing with their forthcoming Z)?

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Nova

·
2006 Exige
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
324 Posts
I know this is a dumb question but why can't an automaker simply take a previously produced vehicle and just re-tool it to make it more modern - like take the old mk2 Mr2/ Fd RX7/ mkiv Supra, strengthen the chassis a bit and slap a more modern engine in it with updated electronics (hmm I guess like Nissan is doing with their forthcoming Z)?
If you change the exterior appearance - which you must with a new generation, you then have to change the unibody. This is especially true of the roofline and A/B/C pillars. And if you change the unibody, you then have to perform a full set of analyses and engineering to ensure chassis safety and driving dynamics. And of course, any of these changes would require new tooling.

So the cost is incurred anyway, might as well design a new unibody that is customized for the new exterior/interior design.

Note that even with modern car designs that share a platform, only certain suspension and drivetrain parts are shared, the chassis and panels are all unique.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you change the exterior appearance - which you must with a new generation, you then have to change the unibody. T
Of those cars I mentioned - I don't think they should even change the body! I'd buy a car based on any of those older bodies in a heartbeat if Toyota/Mazda simply did something like a Restomod. Just saying.

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
There is zero chance the new MR2 ends up looking like that 1970's supercar pictured.

I don't think it will look like the photo from the Japanese site either...

I was just wondering if someone used a blue Emira photo as 'inspiration' to make this 'possible' MR2 design.
It does look like someone did a little photoshopping with the Emira!

·
Registered
Adding lightness with an angle grinder.
157 Posts
This Japanese car site, Spyder7 says a new MR2 is coming.
There has been a new MR2 coming for the last umpteen years. With the BRZ and BM-Supra in production is there any market at all for it at all?

Reactions: AzusilApps

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,424 Posts
Reactions: onboost91

·
Registered
324 Posts
Of those cars I mentioned - I don't think they should even change the body! I'd buy a car based on any of those older bodies in a heartbeat if Toyota/Mazda simply did something like a Restomod. Just saying.
Oh, I see what you mean. I guess we can see these types of executions in the various generations of the NSX and S2000.

The problem there is that consumers are fickle and they grow tired of how something looks eventually. They want something new and exciting. Given this, updates by the manufacturer will be "massages" rather than more robust updates. These types of mild changes will invariably be met with luke warm enthusiasm, resulting in slowing sales and ultimately discontinued production.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
My #1 for this treatment would be the 1993-1995 RX7. Still one of the prettiest bodies ever and definitely the best looking car Japan has ever built IMHO. Stick a nice 350HP 2.0l TT motor in it....It had everything else already!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I sort of think all new cars will turn out like this. SUV's like suv's, trucks like trucks. Will there be sedans or...? And the way the world is going. we are all gonna be funnelled into Soilent Green anyway, or a 1984 utopia. Lets hope us sheep keep up the big guys, then again. Drones and robots don't talk back eh

think the MR2 will handle like a Lotus, maybe?

·
Registered
Adding lightness with an angle grinder.
157 Posts
think the MR2 will handle like a Lotus, maybe?
Crappy McPherson is the Toyota tradition for the MR2. I mean my MR2 is great because I can enter parking lots at speeds that would take my Elise in half but Toyota is too cheap to use anything other than a Corolla suspension. Now if the get they chassis from Porsche maybe, just maybe it will be too expensive to retool for crappy suspension. But Porsche will make them hamstring it somehow.

Reactions: AzusilApps

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
All on g search though for subject line.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts