The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K, Since most of you don’t care about how fast it is, what do you think the warranty should be? Do you think they should start offering extended warranties instead of just 3 years now that they are gonna be hitting a different market and not just track guys? Some people are stating on here this will be a daily driver car so likely to be more miles put on per year. Wait wait….. I know Lotus has never been about horsepower or warranties it’s been about the driving experience blah blah blah. The car is not cheap and is gonna be used in more daily driving applications. I’m assuming it’s not gonna be cheap to work on so extended warranties should be important. Anyone hear about what to expect or what they think it should be? I do know it now has cup holders but I still think you should have and option to extend the warranty.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't think anyone is against the idea of Lotus offering an extended warranty program, as long as it's not forced upon the buyer. Meaning if the standard for Lotus has always been 3 years, but they now decide to extend it out to 5 years but jack up the price $5K, I'd be against that. Choice is fine. Have the extended warranty for those who put a lot of miles on and are worried about reliability. Keep the standard warranty for those who only plan on driving it a little bit and aren't afraid of some issues popping up from time to time outside the warranty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Problem with the extended warranty is the same as with the original warranty...dealer network is very small and inconvenient. Also not sure how many people are willing to pay 2k a year for “ insurance”. We know it will be a negative expectation value. ( 2k is my personal guess).

Obviously, I have no problem with Lotus offering it. I think all car companies should offer extended warranties even if I am unlikely to buy one. ( I do have one on my AM which I paid for.)

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
K, Since most of you don’t care about how fast it is, what do you think the warranty should be? Do you think they should start offering extended warranties instead of just 3 years now that they are gonna be hitting a different market and not just track guys? Some people are stating on here this will be a daily driver car so likely to be more miles put on per year. Wait wait….. I know Lotus has never been about horsepower or warranties it’s been about the driving experience blah blah blah. The car is not cheap and is gonna be used in more daily driving applications. I’m assuming it’s not gonna be cheap to work on so extended warranties should be important. Anyone hear about what to expect or what they think it should be? I do know it now has cup holders but I still think you should have and option to extend the warranty.
If you mean Lotus will extend the warranty as standard? Ain't going to happen.
Sell you an extended warranty, more often than not through a 3rd party vendor. If they can make a nickel, they most certainly will sell you an extended warranty.

As someone else said the weak dealer network, as it currently stands, devalues any warranty. The only financial rationale for buying a brand new car and taking the depreciation is that it's under warranty. It's especially needed for first year of a model. More so for first year of a Lotus model.

I had a year left on my Exige warranty. When the only dealer 'near' me (Criswell, an hour away, at the time one of the longest standing, high volume Lotus dealers in the country) dropped Lotus, I sold my car. The nearest dealer to me was 3+ hours away. That was nearly 10 years ago, and there still is no dealer in NOVA and/or the Baltimore/Washington corridor. Nearest still 3+ hours away. One gave it a go for a few months. For that reason alone the Emira is nothing more than a curiosity to me.

While I can do a fair amount of mechanical work on cars, at this point in my life I don't choose to, I don't enjoy it. So if I can't have warranty work done by a dealer, or if I can't pay a highly qualified mechanic on a specialty car to work on it, not going to own it.

Fun Fact: The new car warranty on the 1984 Esprit was 6 months.

Reactions: Smash135

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you mean Lotus will extend the warranty as standard? Ain't going to happen.
Sell you an extended warranty, more often than not through a 3rd party vendor. If they can make a nickel, they most certainly will sell you an extended warranty.

As someone else said the weak dealer network, as it currently stands, devalues any warranty. The only financial rationale for buying a brand new car and taking the depreciation is that it's under warranty. It's especially needed for first year of a model. More so for first year of a Lotus model.

I had a year left on my Exige warranty. When the only dealer 'near' me (Criswell, an hour away, at the time one of the longest standing, high volume Lotus dealers in the country) dropped Lotus, I sold my car. The nearest dealer to me was 3+ hours away. That was nearly 10 years ago, and there still is no dealer in NOVA and/or the Baltimore/Washington corridor. Nearest still 3+ hours away. One gave it a go for a few months. For that reason alone the Emira is nothing more than a curiosity to me.

While I can do a fair amount of mechanical work on cars, at this point in my life I don't choose to, I don't enjoy it. So if I can't have warranty work done by a dealer, or if I can't pay a highly qualified mechanic on a specialty car to work on it, not going to own it.

Fun Fact: The new car warranty on the 1984 Esprit was 6 months.
Ha, you are complaining about a 3 hour drive to a dealer, if I buy a Lotus it's a minimum of 10 hour drive for me, and I am still considering an Emira, admittedly 3 years from now so I'm hoping they will have majority of bugs worked out and any problems are known and I can game plan. It could be the worst mistake I ever make but I figure if I get fed up I'll be able to sell it and get majority of my money back.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ha, you are complaining about a 3 hour drive to a dealer, if I buy a Lotus it's a minimum of 10 hour drive for me, and I am still considering an Emira, admittedly 3 years from now so I'm hoping they will have majority of bugs worked out and any problems are known and I can game plan. It could be the worst mistake I ever make but I figure if I get fed up I'll be able to sell it and get majority of my money back.
Northern VA has no dealer, Flow in NC is a joke, Greenville SC closed up their dealer early this year, Lambo Charlotte is picking it up but not until the end of the year.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Isabelle Houston from Lotus emailed me when I made an inquiry about dealerships, and she said:

"I know we are putting dealers in place in the US – I cannot guarantee that one will be set up in Boise, but I am highlighting this internally.

Thank you for your feedback.

Isabelle Gantier Houston
Relationship Manager"

They're obviously planning for this, so that's a good sign. Let them know if you don't live near a Lotus dealer. The more info they have that shows interest in an area, the easier it will be to make the decisions as to where to put dealerships.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’m complaining about an hour drive!

I once worked out that I have something like 18 Porsche dealers in a 2 hour drive distance. What’s 18, like half the total Lotus dealers in the US?

Within 1/2 hour, I have Bentley, Aston Martin, Rolls, Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati, Pagani, and almost every other conceivable brand. Multiple dealers in many cases within an hour. Lotus is going to have to offer something pretty attractive rather than a passing curiosity to make it a real competitor for some of us.

Sure a bunch of hound dogs, like myself, might step up and buy the first cars on a punt, but that enthusiasm will fade if there isn’t something substantial to follow it up. Pretty sure, with all the new Emira interest, there are lots of people like me that can change their mind just as quickly to move on from Lotus as they did to become a new customer.

By the way, most of these competing dealers have concierge service where they will pick up and return you car for service. Lotus is definitely going to have to step up if they really plan to compete.

·
Registered
121 Posts

I once worked out that I have something like 18 Porsche dealers in a 2 hour drive distance. What’s 18, like half the total Lotus dealers in the US?

Within 1/2 hour, I have Bentley, Aston Martin, Rolls, Ferrari, Maserati, Pagani, and almost every other conceivable brand. Multiple dealers in many cases within an hour. Lotus is going to have to offer something pretty attractive rather than a passing curiosity to make it a real competitor for some of us.

Sure a bunch of hound dogs, like myself, might step up and buy the first cars on a punt, but that enthusiasm will fade if there isn’t something substantial to follow it up. Pretty sure, with all the new Emira interest, there are lots of people like me that can change their mind just as quickly to move on from Lotus as they did to become a new customer.
Well I think the Evija is pretty impressive. What if there's an electric Emira with 150 hp per wheel? The Evija shows they have the chops to do it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well I think the Evija is pretty impressive. What if there's an electric Emira with 150 hp per wheel? The Evija shows they have the chops to do it.
? I’m not criticizing the car. I’m just saying if Lotus wants to compete as a luxury or upscale brand, they need to provide luxury or upscale service. Can’t have a kit car mentality when it comes to service and repairs.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
? I’m not criticizing the car. I’m just saying if Lotus wants to compete as a luxury or upscale brand, they need to provide luxury or upscale service. Can’t have a kit car mentality when it comes to service and repairs.
There are few people registered on this forum who were even alive the last time Lotus sold a kit car. Nobody thought Emma Peel‘s Elan was a kit car. Or Tara King’s Europa. Or James Bond’s two Esprits. Or Pretty Woman’s Esprit. Or Desperate Housewives Evora. Or Lara Croft’s Lotus 340. MAYBE The Prisoner’s 7…in one episode he says he assembled every nut and bolt himself…but that was such a special car. The kit car mentality is an antiquated myth at this point.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
There are no production Evijas on the road. The one you see at shows is essentially a golf cart with small electric motors to get it from the transporter to the show stand. There are a couple test mules that actually move at speed, but are rough and FAR from ready for prime time, let alone customer delivery. On of them is polished up for runs at places like Goodwood.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Within 1/2 hour, I have Bentley, Aston Martin, Rolls, Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati, Pagani, and almost every other conceivable brand. Multiple dealers in many cases within an hour. Lotus is going to have to offer something pretty attractive rather than a passing curiosity to make it a real competitor for some of us.

By the way, most of these competing dealers have concierge service where they will pick up and return you car for service. Lotus is definitely going to have to step up if they really plan to compete.
Considering the relationship that Geeley has with Volvo, wouldn't it make sense just to recruit a bunch of those dealers to sell the Lotus product. Lotus does not sell enough, nor have a big enough lineup to justify a stand alone dealership system in my opinion. Something similar to what Fiat did when they came to North America again where they sold at Dodge dealers.

Getting car enthusiasts into your dealership, like Volvo, can only be a good thing. It's not like Volvo has anything exciting to get us to visit them right now.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Considering the relationship that Geeley has with Volvo, wouldn't it make sense just to recruit a bunch of those dealers to sell the Lotus product. Lotus does not sell enough, nor have a big enough lineup to justify a stand alone dealership system in my opinion. Something similar to what Fiat did when they came to North America again where they sold at Dodge dealers.

Getting car enthusiasts into your dealership, like Volvo, can only be a good thing. It's not like Volvo has anything exciting to get us to visit them right now.
Maybe you should shoot Geely an email with this idea.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Maybe you should shoot Geely an email with this idea.
I'm sure they are weighing options and have a whole host of people who are much smarter than me or you that will come up with a plan that will hopefully work out for them. I'd love to see their 5 year and 10 year plan. It looks like the Emira will sell extremely well in the first two years, the question is how do they keep that up, build the brand, introduce an SUV, and keep growing this brand. I don't think any of us expect Lotus to ever reach the level of Porsche, but that doesn't mean they can't improve substantially and become a profitable part of Geely's portfolio.

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
Let's see how many folks get the foolish extended warranties..................they wouldn't sell'm if they didn't make money on them. Smarter to just take the money they burn on that, put it aside....just in case. odds are truly in your favor.

Reactions: ryoung99

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
I fully expect the Volvo network to , selectively, become part of the Lotus dealership network. 100% logical. Just called Valenti Volvo to open that discussion.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have to tell you I am impressed, 65 posts since joining, welcome to LT. Apologies for my earlier post, you must be truly engaged to have that many posts in such a short time.

Honestly what scares me most about the Emira is the electronics on the dash. I am not so worried about what sits behind the driver, most of those parts I can source from RockAuto if needed.

The nearest Lotus dealer to me is 3 1/2 hours (St. Louis) although I put my deposit down with Gator in Indy (7 hours away). Fortunately I have BOE very close to me in KC, and even though I have never used them, they are worth their weight in gold when it comes to Lotus cars. The distance of the dealers does not bother me too much, but I have two shops and a couple of haulers that we can use if needed to move cars around (we have a race team we run out of Indy and one we run out of KC).

In relation to my current two Lotus, I have been able to do everything myself. Which is I think the point you are making, if Lotus is looking to move from a niche' manufacturer to one that enters the Porsche market it more than just the car, there is a service aspect to it which I think we can all agree at this point is lacking for Lotus. The current group of Lotus owners are true enthusiasts who love their cars and are happy to work on them. If Lotus plans to sell 5000 Emira a year, that will not be the case. Although I still think the majority of their sales will happen in the major markets where they have dealers.

I believe most of us are warranty agnostic when it comes to this car, so we are not really representative of the "new" market Lotus is going after.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Let's see how many folks get the foolish extended warranties..................they wouldn't sell'm if they didn't make money on them. Smarter to just take the money they burn on that, put it aside....just in case. odds are truly in your favor.
I mean that's the same with any extended warranty, and yet I'm sure that business is a billion dollar industry. People like having piece of mind. I love having a warranty but I also won't pay through the nose to get an extended one. I can only imagine how much one would be on a Lotus.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I mean that's the same with any extended warranty, and yet I'm sure that business is a billion dollar industry. People like having piece of mind. I love having a warranty but I also won't pay through the nose to get an extended one. I can only imagine how much one would be on a Lotus.
Yea, I think in the case of the brand new model I would like like the comfort of being able to extend the warranty. After it’s out for a while and if there doesn’t seem to be many issues maybe I wouldn’t but right now, yea I’d do it if they offer it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts