The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a morning person but got up for this. I hope we see something and not just get the name today,

·
Administrator
4,450 Posts
New powerplant...

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Named after an Oak Ridge Boys song?

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Interesting watch. I saw a good level of focus which will be good for a sustainable business model. Good to see communication like this morning. I like and trust Russell Carr and his focus.
Possibly a Renault sourced engine?

·
Registered
76 Posts
The future will be interesting. Now seeing their marketing and how they want their showrooms to look, it explains the construction at my Volvo dealer. They own the Lotus/Aston dealer down the street and I've been told the new Lotus showroom will be there but no word on service. I wouldn't expect much on hand inventory and things will be more ordered and delivered. Just my guess though. Heck, I'm just hoping for better merchandise, would be nice to have a good hat lol The future looks bright for Lotus and I'm glad I've stayed with the brand and gone from my Elise, to my Evora GT....and who knows from here.

·
Premium Member
7,174 Posts
Gonna be pissed if they use some vulva powerplant. Maybe the new union of FCA will let us cross pollinate thru the Peugeot--> Renault channels the 2.9 l Quad motor...That would be cool not some super turbo complicated who ha. Have my sleeper car lying in wait.
Even in this thread lots of extrapolation hype that they could have put to rrest with a few hard facts. Pretty stupid IMHO....they never seem to learn. So to all those, flame me as I really thought this AM would be REAL. Suddenly that MC20 pops back into my head.

·
Registered
06 Lotus Exige
56 Posts
Don't think anyone would be upset if they used a Honda K20 for their 4 cylinder option.

·
Registered
'07 Exige S
502 Posts
that was very interesting and really provided a deep dive in to the future direction of the brand. i think one big take away is the subtle indication that the dealership network, as we know it today, is a bygone marketing/sales relationship. the tesla model will become more of the mainstream means of choosing, optioning and buying a car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
But will the top come off/down??
I was really hoping for a targa or convertible top of some type but this article from C&D seems to confirm that this will not be an option.

That's really disappointing. If the facts in this article are correct it seems like the V6 powerplant will just be a continuation of what's currently in the GT with maybe a little more hp. I really like this engine but I'm hoping they've done something a little extra with it like some cams and valve train work to allow for a higher redline or something to make it even more special. I am sure the new styling will be fantastic and it sounds like the interior will be a big improvement as well. Weight is still a big question mark. I'm just not sure it will be enough to make me want to upgrade from my 400. Nicer interior / tech, a targa / convertible top, and a lighter car were the big ones for me. Looks like 1/3 so far with a possibility of for 2/3.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
I was really hoping for a targa or convertible top of some type but this article from C&D seems to confirm that this will not be an option.

That's really disappointing. If the facts in this article are correct it seems like the V6 powerplant will just be a continuation of what's currently in the GT with maybe a little more hp. I really like this engine but I'm hoping they've done something a little extra with it like some cams and valve train work to allow for a higher redline or something to make it even more special. I am sure the new styling will be fantastic and it sounds like the interior will be a big improvement as well. Weight is still a big question mark. I'm just not sure it will be enough to make me want to upgrade from my 400. Nicer interior / tech, a targa / convertible top, and a lighter car were the big ones for me. Looks like 1/3 so far with a possibility of for 2/3.
I believe the video made mention of an all new powerplant.

Reactions: Catsailr27

·
Registered
2006 Exige K24A2 SC
151 Posts
As I understand it their prior recipe's for the US market is to use a powerplant that's already available here in order to deal with the EPA. In order for this to work the transmission needs to be part of the spec package, so if this is the same play, what else here has a twin clutch and a 2.0L making ~300?

·
Registered
164 Posts
As I understand it their prior recipe's for the US market is to use a powerplant that's already available here in order to deal with the EPA. In order for this to work the transmission needs to be part of the spec package, so if this is the same play, what else here has a twin clutch and a 2.0L making ~300?
The 2.0 tfsi engine that VAG uses in the golf R and the engine Hyundai has been putting in the N cars are the ones that come to mind. Lotus will likely tune whatever they get to make some additional hp.

EDIT: The base motor for the boxster / cayman would also match those specs.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts