1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Given that we have excellent vendors who already know how to program ECU for superchargers and NA, I don't see the point of this product.

·
Registered
733 Posts
@ulao that looks like a standalone ecu, so it doesn't need the oe ecu for any vehicle functions. the pin connector looks like it matches that of the t4e ecu too.

over on SELOC, I've learned that the European DIY enthusiasts tend to prefer a standalone ecu over the option to reprogram the oem ecu.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Given that we have excellent vendors who already know how to program ECU for superchargers and NA, I don't see the point of this product.
The big advantage I see is closed-loop wideband. No amount of voodoo will allow the stock one to do that.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I sort of had that impression too, that this would not be anywhere near as good as a tuned ECU. Maybe nice to have if you want to experiment and play. They guy that told me about it had a different impression to say the least.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
809 Posts
Yes, it's definitely a standalone.

A look through the implementation docs/slideshow for this ECU looked a lot like setting up a MegaSquirt. The two strats available are Alpha-N or VE table. I'm curious how well it copes with you moving the cam timing and switchover around with a single VE table. Seems like tunes would be rather brittle.

There's a certain amount of 'you pay your money and labor and you takes your chances' about this choice. This is pretty much equally true of doing this with any replacement standalone ECU from a sufficiently powerful MegaSquirt all the way to something with a lot of custom 2ZZ compatibility baked in. I'd classify it thusly:

Pros:
  • You have exactly the code you put in the box, so OEM 'features' you don't want aren't there
  • maybe smaller, lighter, newer technology
  • capability for better engine management of extreme cases
  • Possibly a shallower learning curve than figuring out the OEM code base and tables
  • Maybe manufacturer/vendor support and maybe even a 'starter' tune to get you going

Cons:
  • You have exactly the code you put in the box, so you have to do all the work (unless somebody hands you code and a tune close to what you need)
  • untested, not OEM-vetted technology and manufacturing processes and QC - consumer grade electronics don't survive well in engine bays. Test reports or it didn't happen.
  • may not offer as much table and sensor resolution as the OEM computer
  • You still have to learn how the code and tables work for this computer. Is it capable of doing what you want? Will it do it as well as the stock hardware can?
  • You're in a small minority of users compared to the stock ECU, so don't expect a lot of help available.
  • ECU manufacturer help is dependent on the manufacturer being in business/alive. Most of these are small operations without a deep bench. Bullet 2 means that you might find yourself with a broken orphan ECU in a few years. A broken OEM T4 or T4e is a much more appealing option, because there are many others out there, and somebody will be repairing them or parting out cars with good ones.
  • Purchase cost

This is not to say that I'm against the idea. I've considered something like rolling my own MegaSquirt solution several times versus learning the arcane insides of the stock ECU. The principle thing keeping me away is the labor cost of cooking up a basic tune and figuring out how to manage the VVT and VVL, which aren't common on MS installations yet, so there's not really a cookbook available.

·
not your dad's puns
1,760 Posts
Someone else posted about this in another thread:

Yes. The ECU Master EMU Black seems to be the current most accessible PnP standalone ECU for the DBW 2zz cars.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I don't think I would ever do a stand-alone, unless I had the budget & resources of a race team, not to mention time. The use case for these seems to be very custom.

Plus were very lucky in that we already have several off-the-shelf options from @turbophil and others.

Hmm these guys are local to me, may have to stop by and see what's going on...

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
I knew the searching feature was bad around here but nothing? Anyone heard of this thing, does it help. I was told it works with an existing ECU (don't see that with the image I found) and would be compatible with most SC's?

https://ecumasterusa.com/products/emu-black-for-lotus-2zz-dbw?variant=12464498245693
I don't think it has anything to do with the search function here, as I didn't use it and the only post here Google found was yours.

I think as others have said, we have resources for tunes from reputable vendors here, and I for one wouldn't have any reason not to use them (Phil in particular). Phil can tune the stock ECU, which has a lot of capabilites and parameters. I'd rather pay him for a good tune than spend nearly $2K for this standalone just to have to pay someone (likely Phil) for a tune that might not be as good as the one he'd provide with the stock ECU (which he does all the time). But why don't we have @turbophil chime in on this?

I liken this to 3-way adjustables. Great if you know what you're doing, but you have to know what you're doing (or have someone else doing the configuration) to get good results. I have the Penske double-adjustables from BWR, and I use the recommended settings @fzust provided. I might like other settings better, but I KNOW I like them now, so I'm not f'ing with them. F'ing with the ECU parameters could cost me a motor, so I'd prefer an expert take care of that.

San

Reactions: glb

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Anyone here got one of these running yet? I saw a driver on Facebook (Lotus Owners and Enthusiasts) group just completed an install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts