The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pre Note:
The VVTL-i (I believe this is the correct term for the Honda -iVTEC equivalent). Please correct if I am mistaken...

Question:
Is there a way to kick in the VVTL-i at a lower RPM, say 5k instead of 7ish?

If anyone has done this, what are the benefits/issues/etc that it would cause.

I believe the iVTEC allows RPM manipulation with the correct tools... I heard this the other day and figured I'd ask the forums on the Toyota equivalent.

If this is do-able, I figured this would be a cheap easy engine upgrade for any elise or exige. (more power at a lower base rpm) I am sure it would sacrifice engine life in the long run, but most of us do not have many miles on the cars.

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Think i figured it out... it should be able to be done - but might not have the effect I was thinking. It looks like about 6krpm is the lowest you should go.

VVTLi Controller? - CelicaHobby
"You are right, there is a reason that Toyota put the lift so high. The reason that lift is set at 6k is because it doesn't make more power than the first cam at lower RPM's. If you lowered the 2nd cam engaugement point to 5,500 rpm or lower, instead of getting a more linear power band, or getting more power earlier, you will instead get a big power loss when lift kicks in. The car would bog down.

No one have been able to crack the factory ECU to modify the lift engaugement. The only device that allows you to adjust VVTL-i is the Apexi Power FC. Like I mentioned above, lowering the RPM that lift kicks in results in a power loss instead of a gain. A member of NC.org (M-Spec) lowered the lift to 5,500 RPM with the Power FC when he was tuning his car and had dyno proven power loss because of it. Instead of lowering the lift engaugement to try and stay in the power band, he ended up raising the fuel cut off point so he could rev higher.

more information
AutoZine Technical School

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Michael,

This can be controlled through a tune. You can have either the KoldFire200 or the Lotus Sport tune to achieve a lower "kick-in" of the second cam

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
carphoria - thanks, you are correct!

"
The Lotus Sport has no power increase that I am aware of, and switches at 5750 (~$450)

Kold-Fire 200 claims a 10 HP increase and reduces the cam switch to 5750. (~$475)

Gotham 2005 federal tune offers 8 HP and reduces the cam switch to 5600. (~500)
"

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
carphoria - thanks, you are correct!

"
The Lotus Sport has no power increase that I am aware of, and switches at 5750 (~$450)

Kold-Fire 200 claims a 10 HP increase and reduces the cam switch to 5750. (~$475)

Gotham 2005 federal tune offers 8 HP and reduces the cam switch to 5600. (~500)
"
fyi, the gotham tune is $300ish

its also the one that CharlieX takes care of iirc

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Some of the supercharger tunes kick in at 5k, such as the Katana265 tune.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea... i'll just keep doing research before i decide on a SC, Turbo, or engine swap.

would really like a engine swap with a trunk delete and this cool see through back end...

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
ya MaineLotus has got it going on. I think he did that entire cut out with a Dremel!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
fyi, the gotham tune is $300ish

its also the one that CharlieX takes care of iirc
I do not believe CharlieX is still active in the community, his "technology" however was given to Vision Function for their supercharger kit so they may be able to do the CharlieX tune for you.

I had that tune on my car for several years and it never gave me any problems. Engagement was smooth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts