The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an enclosed trailer and I want to add a tire rack to the interior for a 2nd set of tires.

I'm looking for recommendations for the best way to build/mount this to the wall of the trailer. I guess I'm concerned about the weight of the tires (probably 120-130 lbs.) and its effect on the wall.

Thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
meat said:
I've got an enclosed trailer and I want to add a tire rack to the interior for a 2nd set of tires.

I'm looking for recommendations for the best way to build/mount this to the wall of the trailer. I guess I'm concerned about the weight of the tires (probably 120-130 lbs.) and its effect on the wall.

Thanks
Meat, i have a question regarding trailering an elise. I have a regular open type trailer i was thinking of picking up my elise on when it arrives to avoid an 8 hour drive. My question is will it go upon the gate of the rear of the trailer if it is a standard gate. How much of an angle can i get away with w/o scraping the front end?

·
Banned
901 Posts
Ulmpharmd:

Not sure about the Elise but with my Esprit, I've constructed a set of 2X12 planks to "extend" the ramps on any trailer. Gives that little extra few feet (about 3 feet) that helps the lower lip clear as it rolls up and on to the trailer.

Mark Pfeffer

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Exige has less clearance than the Elise, but I feel the Elise will face a similar problem.

My trailer's rear door folds down to become the ramp. I cannot clear this unaided. So, I put a 2x12 down under the door to raise it 2 inches. then I have a small ramp that came with the trailer that folds to extend the ramp a bit further (1'). I then (same as Feffman) have 2 2x12's about 3' long to get the front up on those before the ramp. I beveled the edge of the 2x12's to make it easier to get up on them. With all this, I clear the door by about 1/2".

So, yes, bring plenty of wood with you to use as ramps to get a better angle of attack.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
Meat,

Check with the trailer mfg. Most trailer walls are not designed to take much of a load. You could probably have a tire stand welded up that would rest on the floor of the trailer. It could be high enough to allow the Exige nose to slip underneath. Picture a scaffolding mounted at the nose of the trailer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts