The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched, but could not find mention of this problem on my 2005 Elise:

As title says, turning off with ignition cylinder (and removing key) did not stop the engine or dash display. I had to stall the engine and then disconnected the battery.

Just prior to this the doors would not unlock with the cobra fob and it would not respond to resyncing (word?). I did open the engine lid and triggered the white wire on the inertia device to unlock the doors. Now the alarm triggered every time the ignition was switched to the "on" position. The battery, PC625, registered 10v, so it went on a battery tender jr for a day and a half after which the battery voltage showed as 13+, but settled quickly to 12.76v. Still no response to the key fob. The interior light was not working which led to the blown #11 fuse for the alarm/ immobiliser/light. At that point I synced the fob and the immobiliser and locking functions seemed to work.Then started her up.

So where to look for the ignition and dash circuits not shutting down with the ignition switch? Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
One thing at a time, if the engine remains running with the ignition switch in the "off" position, then obvious first thought is a faulty ignition switch. Next time it happens, in the "off" position with the engine running, check if the "indicators" & "windows" work, that would confirm the ignition switch.
Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reconnected the battery. Instruments are lit up, but no telltale flashing. The electric windows operate, t/s work, starter button works. No radio or hvac blower operation.
For the radio to work the key must be in the "on" position.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Can't imagine what else it can be but a bad ignition switch, unless by coincidence you have multible problems, which is unlikely.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
There's an accessory position in the ignition switch, no?

Still sounds like a bad switch- Sounds like the ignition pole is stuck closed-

I imagine it's easy to get to, and can be checked with a continuity tester-

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both of you guys, TheViper and Phantom,may be correct. I cannot tell right now because when I connected the battery this AM to take it down to the shop I inadvertantly backed off a 3" drop from the concrete mat onto the drive; the jarring caused everything to shut off and when I tried to restart everything acted normally (at least normal for these cars).
There may have been something stuck relating to the tumbler or ignition switch. For the time being though I think I will get a kill switch to mount on the battery bracket for when (not if) it happens again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.