The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know I read multiple places this is normal and not to worry - but I was a bit surprised how wet the engine is after a wash. (CF engine cover)

Especially a few of the electrical connections and what looks to be the MAF. My car wont be garage queen.

Can someone reassure this is normal and not to worry 馃槤? Thanks

Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
Very normal, though yours looks wetter than mine ever gets. I only hand wash and use gentle spray to rinse. Perhaps you're using more force?

Oh... just noticed you have the louvered engine cover. I have the glass cover. Are you careful with the water direction?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I didn鈥檛 spray into the louvers, just gently from above. A rain storm would hit harder I鈥檇 think. There will be days it鈥檚 outside in the rain at work also.

Registered
2021 Evora GT, Monoco White, 6sp, black+red interior, glass hatch
I do what I did with my E-Type. I cover the engine with towels before I wash.

Reactions: JTM09

Loves to talk
The CF hatch rather obviously doesn鈥檛 provide a weather seal. If that鈥檚 important, and I could see where it might be for many folks, then it鈥檚 not a good choice. Aluminum, depending on composition of the alloy, may respond by staining/corrosion when exposed to water. If I were to keep my car outside in all weather I would probably pass on a louvered hatch because of potential visible corrosion to the block and other aluminum components. However, this is a cosmetic concern rather than a mechanical one.

Assuming you wipe the excess water off as part of your detailing regimen there will be no visible alteration to its appearance. If the vehicle is kept outside and subject to weather from all directions, you can expect some changes to the finished surfaces. This may be visible as white discoloration and some relatively minor surface reaction in cars that have been left in the weather but has no effect on performance. But if you want the absolute cleanest and least affected surfaces in your engine bay, the standard lid is going to provide that better than a louvered one.

Garaged cars simply do better at maintaining all factory finishes than those left in the weather and this certainly includes metal bright work of every type. A bit of water on the block during a wash won鈥檛 make a difference especially if removed/dried off after washing. Leaving the car in all weathers with a louvered hatch will eventually result in visible changes to the finishes.

It鈥榮 a choice you make depending on your priorities. Do you want the light weight, added airflow and look of the fancy hatch or do you need the weather seal of the standard lid? You cant have both. I garage my car and tend to avoid crappy days when using it so minor surface corrosion isn鈥檛 an issue for me. When I wash the car, I towel dry any visible standing water in the engine bay as a final detail. No big deal, no visible changes in five years. If I were to keep my car outside and cared about visible corrosion, I would probably not have installed the CF lid.

Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
Another option is to use a shop compressor with an airgun on the end of the hose to blow away the droplets. I do this to blow out the beads of water that, for some reason, remain in the cracks between the body panels even after I dry the car. If I don't, they often drip down the panel later and THEN dry, leaving a drip mark. Doing this in the engine compartment would be easier than trying to towel out all the nooks and crannies, though with my glass engine cover I've never needed to do it.

Registered
I was paranoid about that when I was deciding whether or not to install the CF hatch. I hand wash only, don't spray into the louvers, and have never had an issue. I spot dry the engine bay and trunk area after washing. Also remember these cars are made in England, lots of rain. I'm not sure I would blow dry the engine bay as that could potentially drive water into areas it's not supposed to be, but it would most likely be fine as well.

In my opinion and experience (along with pretty much everyone else on the forum), you'll be fine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
updating this thread for other future CF owners ...

After driving and sitting in a very hard rain today, the engine showed only minor signs of water. While cruising at highway speeds there was virtually zero water entry ( I was watching in the rear view)

I actually noticed that I caused most of the water entry into the engine bay when I opened the hatch before drying off the CF boot!

Registered
updating this thread for other future CF owners ...

After driving and sitting in a very hard rain today, the engine showed only minor signs of water. While cruising at highway speeds there was virtually zero water entry ( I was watching in the rear view)

I actually noticed that I caused most of the water entry into the engine bay when I opened the hatch before drying off the CF boot!
I was about to tell you this. You stated exactly what I experienced with my Evora w/ CF hatch. Btw, I only hand wash my Lotus so I never have to worry about water get inside the cars.

Premium Member
9 yrs with an Elise with louvers, non-issue. Goin on 3 yrs in Evora, non-issue. Before louvers, engine bay got an annual degrease, spray detail. And I don't try to avoid the angles....btw engine gets hosed out at least annually...when big refresh was done, everyone complimented how good it looked in there. No need to get OCD, she likes gettin wet...............

Registered
I cover the engine with a painters drop cloth from harbor freight. I can't help if it rains while driving it, but I can keep the engine dry when I wash it.
Also on my recent road trip to Dawsonville Georgia I brought my 300ZX's weathershield car cover, which is waterproof, and covered it overnight.
It may not matter because whenever the dealer washes the car the engine bay gets soaked.

Registered
2021 Lotus Evora GT 410 Sport
Another option is to use a shop compressor with an airgun on the end of the hose to blow away the droplets. I do this to blow out the beads of water that, for some reason, remain in the cracks between the body panels even after I dry the car. If I don't, they often drip down the panel later and THEN dry, leaving a drip mark. Doing this in the engine compartment would be easier than trying to towel out all the nooks and crannies, though with my glass engine cover I've never needed to do it.
For drying of my '21 Evora GT and 2 other cars I use a Stihl petrol engine leaf blower.
Office supplies Tool Cylinder Office instrument Liquid

The output from the blower is a massive 700m3 / hr at 160mph.
The whole car is treated; the wheels are totally drip free thereafter.
I use it for the engine bay too and within 30 seconds it is cpl. dry in every corner.
Thereafter I dry / treat the body with a fine towel.
The inside of all my cars is not cleaned wit a vacuum cleaner but also with the Stihl leaf blower.............it works fantastic.......beware of loose items that are blown away,
Only the windows require their hand wash.
I can strongly recommend it !!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts