The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just now I turned on the car after installed Clarion NZ501, a bazooka 6100 tube and a rear view camera.

Everything seems working fine except i notice a weird buzzing sound, I didn't start the engine, just turned electricity on so I can mess with the radio, sounded almost like a radio frequency buzz, but its definitely coming from the engine bay near the firewall somewhere... :panic:

Have anyone else experienced something similar?

Edit, when the screen flips out, it hits the windshield washer lever...i think its something ill just have to deal with, grrrrr...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Was the engine hot and recently turned off at the time? (I'm thinking about the coolant recirculation pump that will run for about 20 minutes in that case.)

You should get a mechanic's stethoscope or microphone to track it down.
Mechanic's Stethoscope

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Just now I turned on the car after installed Clarion NZ501, a bazooka 6100 tube and a rear view camera.

Everything seems working fine except i notice a weird buzzing sound, I didn't start the engine, just turned electricity on so I can mess with the radio, sounded almost like a radio frequency buzz, but its definitely coming from the engine bay near the firewall somewhere... :panic:

Have anyone else experienced something similar?

Edit, when the screen flips out, it hits the windshield washer lever...i think its something ill just have to deal with, grrrrr...
Individually, pull the fuses for the above mods and see if it goes away.
Michael

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
after i disconnect the bazooka tube, the noise decreases significantly. but if i just disconnect the rca cables, it remains the same...

Edit, dont think its the alternator, revving rpm doesnt change its pitch, in fact cant really hear it with the engine on

·
Registered
571 Posts
Arghhhh, I just realized I have this EXACT same issue today! Exactly. But without the mods. Don't even have to start the car, just turn the keys on. I only realized now because I had the bonnet up and could hear it.
It's coming from the ECU area from near as I can tell as well. Annoying little thing.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I seem to recall you can trim your wiper stakes. I'm not totally sure... but I think if you remove the steer column cover and pull the boot around the wiper stake back... there is a set screw that holds on the wiper arm. If you loosen the set screw, you can remove the wiper arm and trim some of the length off. This does not affect the function of the wiper.

I actually install the al wiper arm replacement I ordered from eliseparts. This involved cutting the stacks to leave only a nub... then attaching the new arms to the nub. These new arms look cool and may actually provide the clearance you need. I have pics of the project at work... pm me if you want to see.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Electrical noise from stereo installs is typically heard through the speakers... are you sure that the noise isnt from the speakers and is amplifying itself in the engine bay though the firewall?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Speaking from mine, it's definitely some type of electrical buzz from a system inside the engine bay.

Like a dying music box, or something. You know how when the batteries in those things go flat, and instead of playing what they should, just before they completely go... you get that kind of whiney/alarmy/beep buzz sound.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I have the same issue--sounds EXACTLY like in your video! Has anybody solved this yet?

One data point, I believe the last my car was running, the engine was hot and that circulation pump was running (it sounded like a fan would, kind of), and I didn't realize that it's supposed to run for 20 minutes as you are saying, so I disconnected the battery because I thought maybe I had a short circuit, or some issue that electronics are still running over 5minutes after the car's been turned off...

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
to add, I don't know when the car had this sound, it was like that when I bought it a few months ago, and I've just been working on other things...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts