The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know or can measure the approximate dimensions of the engine 'bay' area in an Elise/Exige?

I have been thinking about buying one as a new home for my 800bhp Mazda 3-rotor engine, but I want to see how well it will fit and as you guys surely know, it isn't easy to take these measurements on a test drive...

Rough dimensions of the transaxle would also be helpful, as there are a couple of different models I am considering adapting to the 20B.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Also please note that this is not a joke, and I am not a 16 year old forum dreamer, I am actually serious about this project, and have the skills and means to complete it....

Thanks
Pat

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
You know the Elise/Exige is transverse right?

Honestly the Elige really isn't a drag car, there are definitely better (and cheaper) options out there for the transplant. Although I will say it would be fun to get a ride in one with an absurd amount of horsepower.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
You know the Elise/Exige is transverse right?

Honestly the Elige really isn't a drag car, there are definitely better (and cheaper) options out there for the transplant. Although I will say it would be fun to get a ride in one with an absurd amount of horsepower.
I have never been a fan of being told "there are cheaper and better ways". This is usually someone's taste when it comes to extreme modding like this.

I am definitely interested in seeing someone throw 800+ into an elise - that would be fantastic :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't want a drag car, I want a supercar. I had this engine in an rx7, but 50/50 weight distribution created a car that was way too loose. It really needs a mid-rear platform that can be set up for 44/56 F/R or something close to that.

That being the case, there aren't a lot of options available, especially anywhere close to the price you can get a salvage or roller Lotus.

Goals for this project are:
45/55 or better rear weight bias
<2500lbs
700+whp
Stable at 230MPH
Handling is difficult to define, but it needs to be road-course capable

Transverse/Longitudinal doesn't make any difference as long as there is physically room for the engine without major chassis modification. The rotary engine is pretty compact compared to a 4 cylinder so I suspect there is. Depending on the space available, my build may or may not stay transverse. I have seen a couple of 500+ whp Exiges that seem to be very well sorted, so I think the chassis can handle the power.

I have done a few engine swaps in the past (20B rx7, 1JZ rx7, 22RE Geo Tracker, etc), I understand the difficulties, but as I see it right now, a Lotus is my only practical choice except a Superlite SL-C, and I don't like the price or the lack of features in the superlite.

When you say better/cheaper options for the transplant, do you mean engine options for a Lotus, or chassis options for my engine? If the latter, what would you suggest?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I don't want a drag car, I want a supercar. I had this engine in an rx7, but 50/50 weight distribution created a car that was way too loose. It really needs a mid-rear platform that can be set up for 44/56 F/R or something close to that.

That being the case, there aren't a lot of options available, especially anywhere close to the price you can get a salvage or roller Lotus.

<2500lbs
700+whp
Stable at 230MPH

Transverse/Longitudinal doesn't make any difference as long as there is physically room for the engine without major chassis modification. The rotary engine is pretty compact compared to a 4 cylinder so I suspect there is. Depending on the space available, my build may or may not stay transverse. I have seen a couple of 500+ whp Exiges that seem to be very well sorted, so I think the chassis can handle the power.

I have done a few engine swaps in the past, I understand the difficulties, but as I see it right now, a Lotus is my only practical choice except a Superlite SL-C, and I don't like the price or the lack of features in the superlite.

The engine bay is a complex configuration assuming clams are on, and also depends on Elise/Exige. So... I'm not sure what dimensions you need. Rotaries are fairly compact which would be nice.

I want to say I remember reading about someone putting a 3-rotor or something in, but I can't quite remember who.

Other notes:
- Weight bias is hard to say. I would guess it would be close to stock which IIRC is somewhere around 60/40 (search). Its not very close to 50/50, that's just the mid-engine platform.
- <2500lb is no problem in the Elige.
- 700whp. :shrug:
- Stable at 230mph in an Elise. I HIGHLY doubt it. These cars were never designed to go that fast, they are at home dodging cones around a parking lot. The short wheelbase would be terrible at speed. Take note of the GT3 prepped 500whp Exige. The whole rear subframe was moved to increase the wheelbase for stability. Don't take it from me, take it from a GT3 race team. ;)

- As for "road course" handling:
Road course + 700whp turbo rotary + Elise is just a dangerous combination. Certainly wouldn't feel very supercar like. It wouldn't have near the wheelbase, near the tires, near the linear powerband, or near the aero/brakes to be any kind of useable. Some things can be worked through but I'm just not convinced this is the car for it... without even getting into price.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
If you don't mind losing the trunk, you have quite a bit of room under there. The biggest constraint is the distance from the axle to the firewall, but people still manage to fit V6s in there.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts

<2500lbs
700+whp
Stable at 230MPH

I have done a few engine swaps in the past (20B rx7, 1JZ rx7, 22RE Geo Tracker, etc), I understand the difficulties, but as I see it right now, a Lotus is my only practical choice except a Superlite SL-C, and I don't like the price or the lack of features in the superlite.

When you say better/cheaper options for the transplant, do you mean engine options for a Lotus, or chassis options for my engine? If the latter, what would you suggest?
elise will never be stable at that speed - the aero sux, and the wheelbase is too short.

you would want to stiffen, or even re-build the rear subframe - so the dimensions may not matter.... i would suggest just fabbing your own rear subframe and add ~6" to the wheelbase to do what you want. at that point - it might also make sense to go longitudinal . - you could put in a "real" gearbox more easily. the stock gearbox will have problems much over ~300hp... it will not be suitable for what your looking to do, at all.

for what you want to do as well - you absolutely do not want a chassis that has been salvaged due to damage. the chassis structure is "non-repairable". you will no doubt be tying bracing into the suspension pick ups, new roll bar, and rear sub frame. no matter what.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts