The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to test the engine bay fan to see if it works? I drove 100 miles the other day, pulled into the garage and things were a little 'steamy' through the louvers- (temp gauge was in owner's manual 'normal' range the whole time, so I wasn't too worried). But the fan didn't come on. I just left the lid lifted. Then today I was taking a look at the fan and noticed it's held in place by screws and washers on the plastic part (four points) that holds the fan in place because they were broken. One of the screws and washers that hold one of the 4 points at the bottom of the fan was missing. and the plastic piece on that side had fallen down about a quarter of an inch. (so the fan was in it's mounting a little crooked) I'll be able to get the fan back in place properly with another screw and washer, but if there's a way to figure out if the fan is working or not, I'll get another fan and remount it properly at the same time....

thanks,

pete

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Some on from the yahoo group said to run a jumper on the thermal relay. I don't know where it's located. Here is a pic of the current status of the fan. Been jury rigged back up in there....
Sold my esprit 20 years ago so I don't remember where the sensor is located, but as I recall the fan is mounted in the motor shroud, I believe the sensor may have been on the firewall. But since the sensor relay turns on the fan (when it's working) there should be a wire set running from the fan to a connector (so that you can disconnect to remove the motor shroud)...follow the wires from that connector to the sensor relay.

·
Registered
320 Posts
You can test the thermal fan switch by blowing hot air on it from a heat gun (leaving the fan plugged in of course).
The circuit for the engine bay fan should be always live as it was designed to cool the carbs when the engine was sitting after a run to ease hot restarts and prevent vapour lock.
Mine runs for about 10 mins after a summer drive.
A very important piece of kit with todays lousy gasoline.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I agree with WayneB 100%

From what I know it could be the 'bi-polar' heat strip that fails delivering power to the motor. Not saying to go out and buy one without checking it first however this seems to be the most common failure from what I have read.

His tip about using a heat gun was good but you also need to use a multi-meter to check if the system is closing to send the current. Place the leads between the two connections on contuniuty. Heat up the strips with the heat gun as Wayne suggested and see if it trips.

I do not know what temp it takes to trip the strip but it should happen. There are some good people over on the Yahoo Group list Series123 who have discussed this problem to great detail.

If you need a referall to sign up let me know. To sign up on the 'turboesprit' list it requires to know someone.

Robert

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is there a way to test the engine bay fan to see if it works? I drove 100 miles the other day, pulled into the garage and things were a little 'steamy' through the louvers- (temp gauge was in owner's manual 'normal' range the whole time, so I wasn't too worried). But the fan didn't come on. I just left the lid lifted. Then today I was taking a look at the fan and noticed it's held in place by screws and washers on the plastic part (four points) that holds the fan in place because they were broken. One of the screws and washers that hold one of the 4 points at the bottom of the fan was missing. and the plastic piece on that side had fallen down about a quarter of an inch. (so the fan was in it's mounting a little crooked) I'll be able to get the fan back in place properly with another screw and washer, but if there's a way to figure out if the fan is working or not, I'll get another fan and remount it properly at the same time....

thanks,

pete
The bimetallic sensor is located to the left rear of the engine bay lid, it's mounted on the underside of the lid. There are two Lucas spade connectors which can be jumpered to take the switch out of the equation and test if the fan works..there is also a quick disconnect for the fan too I believe, just trace the wires. you will have to depress and hold the switch on the right side of the engine bay which the lid closes down onto to be able to test the fan while jumpered. Like is said, even after what you think is a hard hot run of the car, the fans don't always activate. It's all based on the heat rising up into the bimetallic switch. It definitely triggers more in the summer months.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jumped the sensor. Fan works. Re-jury rigged it with bolts and wires plus added some marine quality goop. Should stay in place. Now on to the fuel gauge. Me suspects it isn't working. Won't show over 1/2 tank though I suspect it's full....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts