The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All--

Is it okay with regards to engine initial break-in for an elise/exige to drive about 500 miles upon its delivery? I'm looking at a new car in LA and would need to drive it back up to SF but want to make sure I'm not affecting the break-in process by such a long driving stretch.

--Paul

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
No problem in terms of distance in one go - but try to vary the speed and revs rather than sit on one speed for any length of time. Taking back roads where you can will make that easier than on the highway.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
And read the section of the users manual on what you can and can't do during the break-in period so as to avoid violating the terms of your warranty. You might also want to get some guidance from the service manager at either of the dealerships on break-in period do's and don'ts.

·
Registered
337 Posts
*** Cough *** Pacific Coast Highway *** Cough ***

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
As a point of interest, it takes many thousands of miles to truly break an engine in, to where there is no longer any metallic contaminants.
Yes. I do an early oil & filter change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.