The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where does it say that you must not go above 6000 rpms during the first 600 miles? Just curious as I have been shifting at 6k rpms and not using full throttle (I know the full throttle part is covered in the manual). Short bursts to redline are allowed no?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Search the threads. Widely discussed with scans of the owner's manual.

·
Registered
140 Posts
ekological said:
Where does it say that you must not go above 6000 rpms during the first 600 miles? Just curious as I have been shifting at 6k rpms and not using full throttle (I know the full throttle part is covered in the manual). Short bursts to redline are allowed no?
Nowhere. Dude, r-e-a-d the owners manual! :rolleyes:

Page 73

" For the first 600 miles, use no more than moderate throttle openings (about half of the available accelerator pedal travel) and do not run the engine continuously at engine speeds over 4,500 RPM. Occasional short burst at wider throttle and higher RPM will be beneficial. . . . ."

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not really that. It's not my intent to come off harsh, but knowledge is power.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read the manual and that's why I was wondering why people were holding off from going past 6000 rpms until after 600 miles or 1000 miles or whenever.....

Tech_KO said:
Not really that. It's not my intent to come off harsh, but knowledge is power.

·
Registered
140 Posts
People, what people? You said, "I have been shifting at 6k rpms and not using full throttle." :rolleyes:

Ultimately, you have to read the manual, do external research on proper engine break in and make your own decision. Everyone will do it differently. I've posted my ECU slips. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is your problem, dude? Obviously, before you get your car, you read what others have said about the ownership experience. So you're saying that when you take your car from the dealership, you're supposed to just sit there and wait while you finish the whole manual from start to finish? Don't be silly. I recall reading various engine breakin posts and went by that on my first ride home. The dealer also forgot to give me the manual so I didn't have it for a few days.

If you can't be helpful and have a good attitude, I suggest you not post at all.

Tech_KO said:
People, what people? You said, "I have been shifting at 6k rpms and not using full throttle." :rolleyes:

Ultimately, you have to read the manual, do external research on proper engine break in and make your own decision. Everyone will do it differently. I've posted my ECU slips. Good luck.

·
Registered
140 Posts
ekological said:
What is your problem, dude? Obviously, before you get your car, you read what others have said about the ownership experience. So you're saying that when you take your car from the dealership, you're supposed to just sit there and wait while you finish the whole manual from start to finish? Don't be silly. I recall reading various engine breakin posts and went by that on my first ride home. The dealer also forgot to give me the manual so I didn't have it for a few days.

If you can't be helpful and have a good attitude, I suggest you not post at all.
Stop crying! My problem is guys like you, who waste time on this board with stupid questions. You have the nerve to tell me not to post. You contradict yourself within the same post and don't even have the balls to just say you're wrong. The dealer didn't forget to give you the manual, you forgot the get it. Take responsibilty for your own actions. READ the [email protected]#@ing Manual!

Funny thing is that I think I recognize your car. I think I saw it at the Glen this summer when I stopped to check out my buddy in his Evil Evo.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Guys chill out. You are both reading too much into eahc other's posts and escalating it. Both points are valid.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
There have been many threads on this. Try a search, because this was just beat ad nauseum in the last month.

Oh, yeah-I redlined mine a number of times in the first 1300 miles, and had 17 seconds at wide open throttle (out of 44 hours). Lotus is looking for abuse, not an excuse to void warranties.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
eko,
I probably am responsible in some way for not running into the cams (ie over 6200 rpms) for the first 600 miles. The guys at LCU specifically said it's a good idea to stay out of the cams for the first 600 miles. It's not written in the manual, just the moderate throttle settingss, etc.

As it was only 600 miles staying out of the cams for that period was no big deal, I was over that after my first week of ownership anyway.

As Tech and Surfer both said, Lotus is looking for blatant abuse during the breakin period, certainly going into the cams for brief periods won't constitute abuse.

Guess it just boils down to not abusing the engine ever but especially the first 600.

Got to say it's a blast the way it scoots after the cam changeover, the engine really roars!

Chris

·
Registered
643 Posts
A lot of people I know swear by this guy's procedure (though perhaps not for all the reasons he lists):

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Although the Lotus owner's manual does state that the break-in procedure is for more than just the engine.

Frankly, if it wasn't for the data dump and potentially voiding my warranty, I'd probably just buy some dyno time and use the above procedure.

Jim

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I don't know if it applies to larger car engines, but I think motoman is right on the money for motorcycle engines, especially sportbikes.

The worst long-term performance has come from my gently-broken-in bikes. Burn more gass, less grunt, less high-end.

The bikes bought used or run in hard, no problems.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have also heard from friends that the Supra engines that were broken in hard have higher, more consistent compression numbers, dyno higher and burn less oil as they get older.

Jim

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Ground Loop said:
I don't know if it applies to larger car engines, but I think motoman is right on the money for motorcycle engines, especially sportbikes.

The worst long-term performance has come from my gently-broken-in bikes. Burn more gass, less grunt, less high-end.

The bikes bought used or run in hard, no problems.
Speaking from experience my friend and I have the exact same bikes. His had more mileage at the time of dyno (eddy current) about 7k and mine had about 6K but I broke mine in per motoman's suggestions while he did a factory recommended break in and mine pulled 5 HP more with about 1 ft/lbs more TQ too. They were dynoed on the same day pretty much within minutes of each other.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Question about motoman's article

What does Toyota do to the engine after assembly? I imagine it will let the engine run and do some testing before delivery. If Toyota did a hard testing procedure and change oil, then isn't the testing procedure similar to the 20 miles break-in that Motoman is talking about?

If so, then motoman's procedure will be moot.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My car came with 16 miles on the clock. Someone on this forum mentioned that each car is track tested before being shipped over. Whether this is true or not...I have no idea. I once went to Spartanburg to see the Z3 assembly line. They had these big arms that swung to hold the car in place and they revved it up to redline in all the gears.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
jtanner said:
A lot of people I know swear by this guy's procedure (though perhaps not for all the reasons he lists):

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Although the Lotus owner's manual does state that the break-in procedure is for more than just the engine.

Frankly, if it wasn't for the data dump and potentially voiding my warranty, I'd probably just buy some dyno time and use the above procedure.

Jim

Uh....this guy has NO understanding of gas pressure. His explanation of ring sealing makes NO sense at all.

Whether there's some other mechanism at work remains to be determined, but his explanation ain't it.

ed

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
huggy bear said:
Speaking from experience my friend and I have the exact same bikes. His had more mileage at the time of dyno (eddy current) about 7k and mine had about 6K but I broke mine in per motoman's suggestions while he did a factory recommended break in and mine pulled 5 HP more with about 1 ft/lbs more TQ too. They were dynoed on the same day pretty much within minutes of each other.
Averaged over how many runs?

ed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts