The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so my car has the CEL on and the ODB-II reader is telling me P2102 as the error code and the car goes into Limp home mode.

This was after resetting a P2122 code which I reset after unplugging my Battery tender.

Yes I did a search and no did not get any results.

Could this be a bad battery (Braille battery about 2 years old) issue?

I know in some cars a bad battery can cause all kinds of wierd things to start happening because of the variations in voltage, etc... (battery acts as voltage regulator).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
OK, so my car has the CEL on and the ODB-II reader is telling me P2102 as the error code and the car goes into Limp home mode.

This was after resetting a P2122 code which I reset after unplugging my Battery tender.

I know in some cars a bad battery can cause all kinds of wierd things to start happening because of the variations in voltage, etc... (battery acts as voltage regulator).

Thoughts?
P2102 - Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit Low
P2122 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch “D” Circuit Low Input

·
Registered
347 Posts

Thoughts?
I had the problem a while ago that the car would go into limp mode and it turned out that some conductive grease in the ECU connector solved the issue and I have never had it happen again. Star did the fix. I think this is a fairly common issue with the cars, from what I was told. The first time I had it happen was when I was driving in rain. Has your car been wet in the engine area recently?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this just the battery or ???

Thanks for the additional detail on the codes. Given they both seem to be voltage level issues makes me think it may well be a dead battery issue, but wanted to see what the ECU gurus have to say.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A wet car in Houston?

I had the problem a while ago that the car would go into limp mode and it turned out that some conductive grease in the ECU connector solved the issue and I have never had it happen again. Star did the fix. I think this is a fairly common issue with the cars, from what I was told. The first time I had it happen was when I was driving in rain. Has your car been wet in the engine area recently?
I did give the car a bath a couple days prior to the CEL issues and washed things down pretty good, so maybe that's it. I'll unplug the ECU and blow it out good with some canned air.

Anyone know what the conductive grease might be? More importantly where can I get some?

I suppose I could limp it over to the local dealership, but I have such a good relationship with thier service group that I don't want to bother them if it is such an easy fix.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I did give the car a bath a couple days prior to the CEL issues and washed things down pretty good, so maybe that's it. I'll unplug the ECU and blow it out good with some canned air.

Anyone know what the conductive grease might be? More importantly where can I get some?

I suppose I could limp it over to the local dealership, but I have such a good relationship with thier service group that I don't want to bother them if it is such an easy fix.
Have you been there since Les took over? You might find Star better with him. He would probably even tell you over the phone what they use. He is a really great guy.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll take my chances with canned air and if needed a small amount of sensor safe dielectric grease on the connectors.

Either I'll totally screw it up or it will work and then I won't have bothered the service guys with such a trivial issue. I'm sure they are busy working on other cars, etc...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Battery fixed this issue

OK, os I changed out the battery to the old stock one after charging it up and the engine code light issues / flickering alarm light has been fixed. I think it was the 2 years old Braille B14115 battery slowly going into a death spiral.

It still leaves open the original issue, the emissions tests on MIS, FUE, CCM all complete, but CAT, EVA, O2S and HTR all will not complete. The car runs just fine as far as I can tell. The problem is that I need to so the TX State inspection which includes an emissions test, and the test guys said I can only have one incomplete out of the seven. So.....

At least this is the first one step forward after having taken two steps backwards...

One more step backwards and I might be thinking about selling and getting a BWM 135 or something that is reliable and the after sale service quality is worth the trip to the dealership.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
P2122 reset to P2106 take two steps BACK

Okk so the car ran fine for a day and half with the 'new' battery and then this afternoon as I was heading home, blink, CEL comes on. Limped it home and code reader said P2122 Throttle Pedal Position Sensor / Switch D Circuit low input. So I reset that and immediately CEL comes on, code P2102 Throttle Actuator Control System.

So I'll try a little dielectric grease on the ECU plugs this weekend and see what happens.

The saga continues....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts