The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am a new Elise owner & I got a CEL last weekend on my 2007 Elise. I got it back to the dealer & he said they need to order a 'coil pack' (his words). I clarified by saying engine coils? He said 'yes'. As I asked him what would cause that he seemed in a rush to get off the phone & said the car would be ready tomorrow. The car was already brought in for it's 1k break in service about two weeks ago.

I guess I am just looking for feed back on two things.. Is this common? (I do not think it is at all. I did a search on this forum on "Engine Coil" & found nothing). I have never heard of this problem with this engine at all.... let alone at 2,600 miles. Second, could this be do to sitting for 2.5 years?

Let me give a bit of background on the car. It's a 2007 MY (build date June 2006). The car was parked in the dealer show room since new (had 15 miles clocked when I bought it). It was still in the show room when I bought it. I was a bit shy about buying a car that sat un-driven for for so long, but it was a good deal & since the warranty was started with me I figured I would be covered.

I hope I didn't buy a SY LEMON!!!!

Thanks...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I recall that being an issue before, so yeah, I wouldn't be too surprised by this. They are typically referred to as coil packs, there's one per cylinder above the spark plug. It's not a traditional engine coil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok cool... haha, I just looked up coil pack. I am getting old I guess hence me calling it an engine coil.

Thank you...

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Seems to be somewhat common and it's not a big issue.

You can replace a coil pack in literally 2 minutes on these cars. It's very simple.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Mine had a coil pack go bad from corrosion/ignition arching as well as being oily from a leaking spark plug tube seal at about the same mileage as yours. It is common for water from rain or washing the car to get into the tubes and cause all sorts of trouble with the coil packs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Recently discovered sludge on coil boot ...

Can a bad coil and/or leaky tube seal contribute to a lean condition (P0171)?
Coils 1 through 3 were very clean, number 4 looked like 1/2" of sludge built up around the plug and boot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts