The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a pretty good driveline shudder when engaging the clutch in my '88 esprit....I'm guessing there's a leak in the rear main fouling the clutch plate and causing it to burn and prevent smooth engagement. Either that or the clutch is just plain worn out.

The car also needs to have a new tensioner bearing and gates blue belt installed. Will be easier to do that on the stand than in the car. So it looks like the engine is coming out. I have a nice shop, two post and four post lifts, every kind of tool ever designed so it shouldn't be a difficult job.

Any suggestions of things to do "while I'm in there" and have the engine on the stand? Output shaft bearing??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Tim E had created a very good 'things to do while she out' list, I will see if I can find it, believe it was on the Yahoo turboespritlist ?

There's a pretty good driveline shudder when engaging the clutch in my '88 esprit....I'm guessing there's a leak in the rear main fouling the clutch plate and causing it to burn and prevent smooth engagement. Either that or the clutch is just plain worn out.

The car also needs to have a new tensioner bearing and gates blue belt installed. Will be easier to do that on the stand than in the car. So it looks like the engine is coming out. I have a nice shop, two post and four post lifts, every kind of tool ever designed so it shouldn't be a difficult job.

Any suggestions of things to do "while I'm in there" and have the engine on the stand? Output shaft bearing??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thoroughly check your fuel tanks if they are not done. I would refurbish them if it were my car.
Also much easier to tighten the bulkhead to chassis connection

Randy

·
Registered
206 Posts
I only know this from reading this forum and TLF: check your cam followers for cracks, and maybe order a new set from the Usual Parts Sources, plus a set of shims for adjusting your valves. x2 on the gas tank refurbishment.

Besides the output shaft bearing, re-check the Citroen transmission threads for relevant bits.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you gents, all good suggestions. I hate to take the engine out but it's going to be better in the end to do this along with all the while-you're-in-there stuff.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts