The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently noticed that after driving that my engine bay is extremely hot. After stopping the plastic slots on the trunk lid are so hot that I can not keep my hand on them. Anything in the engine bay like the valve cover is the same. I also noticed that the floor of my boot looks darkened and the foam pad is burnt/melted on the bottom. Looks like the floor is getting really hot. Is this normal?

I checked bottom of boot and heat shielding is in place. I assume that my exhaust - cat/headers/muffler are getting extremely hot? The water temp is normal, hovers around 184-190 when driving around town. Fans kick on at 203-204 and temps come back down, so coolant is flowing through radiator etc.. No noticeable leaks. Do not smell coolant. Coolant tank is full. From a water temp perspective car is not overheating. But engine bay is crazy hot. Never seen anything like it. May get the cooling system pressure tested just in case? EGTs could be really high for some reason?

Appreciate any advice on what to check here.

·
Administrator
4,989 Posts
What model? Any mods? What kind of temps are you driving in?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A little more context would help. 2005 Elise. Live in Florida so this is in 80-90 degree weather. Also have a Aqray cat back exhaust and Aluminum Radiator. Stock otherwise. These were installed by previous owner.

·
Administrator
4,989 Posts
Probably the easiest thing to do to ease your mind would be to get up with another Elise owner near you and with both engines warmed up after a good drive take a laser thermometer and compare all areas of the engine bay.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
683 Posts
Check engine light on? Running rough? If excess fuel is being dumped, that cat will get REALLY hot and eventually burn the car to the ground. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Could have an exhaust leak.
Did you (previous owner) remove the heat shield on top of the exhaust when you installed the Arquay?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heat shield still intact. No check engine lights. Runs fine, although do not have any other elise to compare with. No hesitations, surging, stumbling, idles fine.

Any way to tell if fuel is being dumped into exhaust? Not sure about a exhaust leak, but will take a look tonight. Thinking about replacing the cat with a test pipe and seeing if that makes a difference.

·
Administrator
4,989 Posts
What area do you live? I would be willing to bet there's others not far away.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,091 Posts
1.) Are your headers stock with the shields in place?
2.) Is the solid AL heat shield in place just aft of the headers?
It is located in front of the lock. iirc
3.) Is the deformable aluminum clad fiberglass headshield
formed around the inside of the clam directly under the solid
AL heatshield in place?

___I would venture to say maybe one of these three heatshields
was removed when the after market exhaust was installed.
These cars all run hot though due to the mid-engine configutation.
Maybe go 'naked'

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
It should never get that hot. If the catalytic converter is collapsing then a tremendous amount of heat will be generated. I would drive it and view the exhaust after driving in a dark environment to see if any of the exhaust is bright red.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
You guys are on the wrong path with the heat shields, they can all be removed and you wont have these symptoms. like tommy says I am guessing its the cat, but it could also be running unbelievably rich for some reason.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Dunno, that rich with no CEL?

I have seen an Exige with aftermarket exhaust with heat damaged glass in the trunk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts