The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... where do I begin.

This evening, I left a family get together and three quarters the way home something happened that was quite disconcerting. Traveling along the freeway in the "fast" lane, the driver in front of me was going too slow (55 mph), and after some patience, I decided to merge out of that lane. So I changed to the lane over and steadily accelerated forward (not aggressively, just to get up to speed with the rest of traffic). All of a sudden the car just sharply dropped power (the same feeling you get when you it the limiter), even though I was only at around 4000RPM, in 4th gear. I looked down and the engine light was on. The engine immediately sounded different (sort of a rough sound.. I dropped down to a lower gear to speed up and noticed the Evora wouldn't accelerate quickly. It struggled to get up to speed. Eventually it did but the throttle response was terrible. Fortunately I was almost home and exited the freeway..

As the car slowed down, the road noise level lowered and I was able to hear the engine better. It was idling really roughly at the freeway exit intersection. Nevertheless I was able to continue driving. Right as I pulled into my complex and stood at gate waiting for it to open I noticed the engine started cutting out. I gave it some gas to keep it going. As I rolled towards my usual parking spot, I took my foot off the throttle to brake and engine died. The car was still moving but the steering wheel lost power and had to crank it hard to turn into my parking spot. As I completed parking I turned off the engine and thought, "Crap. WTF just happened.".

I decided to try and start the car again to see what was wrong. It started with a thunk and idled terribly and died. I sat there for about half a minute confused and a bit down about what happened.

Then I pulled out my iPhone and gave it to my girlfriend to record the engine. I wanted to start it up and document what was happening so I could send it to my service advisor. I said to her, "I want to catch this on film right now, because this might not happen tomorrow morning". I wanted to document it immediately because I had a hunch the problem might go away.. Sure enough as she recorded me starting up the car, it started fine. GAHH. The engine light was still on though. I said, "I'm going to drive around the parking lot see if the problem reoccurs". So I backed out of the spot and drove all the way down the lane, turned around and came back. No more problem. Throttle response seemed normal. I revved the engine a couple of times and it was quick and responsive as before. I didn't want to rev it too high or too many times because it was almost midnight.

Sigh... anyway, I'm going to take her in on Monday. Hopefully they can look at the ECU event log and determined what happened. Not sure if I should have the car towed or drive it...

So sad :'( sigh...

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
If you have a OBDII module , just connect and see if you see any error and report back here. I have a friend that can look up the code and see what it is!!

·
A1 Automotive & Smog
907 Posts
Engine gets better is better than continually rough. At least this problem is not internally engine damage that would consistently there. It could be just intermittent bad sensor. With scanner, it should show the freeze frame data like temps, speed, load, etc when the bad sensor trigger the light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like the pin in the cam actuator seizing. I have seen very similar symptoms before on the 2GR-FE. There should be a P code stored with the out of phase cam if this is in fact the fault. Painful symptom with an easy fix. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
There was an ECU-error that the electronic gas pedal diconnected and caused the ECU to go into emergency mode. This may have happened to you.

That was fixed with an ECU update. If so, you're in luck, its a 5 minute fix.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was an ECU-error that the electronic gas pedal diconnected and caused the ECU to go into emergency mode. This may have happened to you.

That was fixed with an ECU update. If so, you're in luck, its a 5 minute fix.
what is this 'emergency mode' you speak of? what is the expected behavior?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Squid, this happened to me last year. You engine may have detected a misfire and shut down 3 cylinders. Exactly same symptoms as you, but I did the "Microsoft" shutdown, wait 5 minutes, and restart, and I was fine.

Others report the same situation, just as you hit it to go to pass, the engine conks out. It is my belief that the latest software update fixes this problem.
(It happened to me before I put on the CAI.)

Check your codes. It may work fine tomorrow.

Because I hate evil people who refer casually to threads and tell others to "Search", here is the thread:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/evora-no-power-104411/

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I don't have an answer, but...

Just went through some funkiness with my Elise. Fixed it yesterday but the bigger story is that I bought an ODB reader after borrowing my neighbor's.

Told me exactly what the issue was (Injector #3 causing misfire).

Not sue how much that helped, but it's probably a good idea to have one.

·
Registered
597 Posts
"Limp home mode" is the common name for what you experienced and what Notorious describes. Something's wrong, yes, but it's likely to be along the lines of a sensor problem, i.e. nothing too serious.

If you are the curious type, go get an OBD scanner at your favorite local auto parts place and check the code. Plug the scanner into the port under the dash (can't remember which side it's on), turn the key to on _not_ start, and you'll be able to read the code. A web search will then tell you what the code means.

An Autozone or the equivalent will even check the code for you for free.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
thx guys I'll get the ODB sensor today and see what I can find out.

Is it common for limp mode to conk out your engine though? if it was just a matter of shutting down cylinders, wouldn't engine management still be intact for the working cylinders?

It's really scary if my engine conks out while I'm at speed on the freeway. Could result in a major accident if I'm unable to merge off the road in time.

EDIT: LRG--I remember that one now. And yup, what you described was consistent with what I described, right down to occuring right when I was about to pass someone, and it sounding hollow. It also makes sense that the engine would want to die out running on only 3 cylinders if it hasn't 'learned' out to idle on just 3 cylinders, as you pointed out.. Anyway thanks for siting the thread, it's very helpful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This happened to me two weeks into ownership while I was interstate (in Tasmania) and I thought "crap, I am 500 miles and a sea from my Lotus dealer". Turns out parking it and waiting 5 minutes rebooted the system and all was fine. They called it "limp home mode". Has not happened since,

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
It happened to me about 9 months into ownership, but also only once. haven't had it since, but it was supposedly fixed by an ECU update. So called "gremlin".

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same problem last year while driving to the lotus dealer ( luck ) . the problem has been easily fixed by an ECU upgrade ( H version if i remember ) . since , no problem .
so dont wory it should not be a big issue.

stephane

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay well I'm headed out to the dealer today.. Didn't get a chance to get the ODB scanner due to weather... I'll let you all know what they come up with.

thx again for the input.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW, SCARRION, you ever post pics of your car on here? Love to see them, your avatar looks cool. :)

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
It's hard to diagnose on a forum w/o a code. I think everyone should own one of these. They can be had so cheap! You can even use a blue tooth one and use your phone. Knowing the code really helps narrow down the possibilities.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To Squidward

The lotus Evora in avatar is mine .It is a 2009 LE originaly lotus company car for Mrs Arundel .
except cosmetical problems and the ECU reflash no big problems . It is now 23000 Km and i have it since 6000 Km .
here under a photo taken at the garage before purchase.
the car is Chrome orange with mat black stripes .Exhaust is Komotec nice noise when driving with fun but loud on highway.

Stephane

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Very nice one SCARRION, if you plan to visit Reims, we could meet and go for a drive on Champagne vineyards' roads with our LEs :D

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My dealership was booked for the entire week last week, so I couldn't bring it in. Subsequently the CEL disappeared the following day, before I could get my ODB scanner on it. TADTS!

I've had previous CELs appear on a couple of occasions in the past year or so prior to this incident but the dealership told me it was due to misfire, most likely caused by a weak battery at startup. And in both cases the CELs disappeared on their own.

Anyway from the feedback I got, I'm almost certain this is the same exact limp mode experience as described by a few other owners. It has not happened since. If it happens again, I'll have the ODB scanner in hand. But as of right now I no longer plan to take it in until some of the other parts arrive, pending work on my car...

1 - 20 of 85 Posts