The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Transonic said:
Anyone ever use Evan's Racing Coolant on any of their cars before? I used it on my RX-7 and it was like night & day.

I use Evans NPG-R It has a 400 degree boil point and there are no hot spots in the system. It maintains an even temperature in the entire cooling system which evenly distributes the heat and reduces heat stress to the weaker parts of the system, which is where the hot spots collect. It's good to -10 degrees too for winter storage. I've never had a heat issue with this. It's great stuff but a little pricey. $32.50 per gallon and the entire system is run with it straight no water. You have to purge the entire system with their prep system additive before filling.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I went to: Autozone, PepBoys Kragen, a speciality car part store.
They did not have:
Motul brake fluid
Havoline XLC
5 W40 (regardless of brand)

And for laughs I asked for an oil /air filter.....

On the plus side the had the power steering fluid!!!

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
necro said:
I went to: Autozone, PepBoys Kragen, a speciality car part store.
They did not have:
Motul brake fluid
Havoline XLC
5 W40 (regardless of brand)

And for laughs I asked for an oil /air filter.....

On the plus side the had the power steering fluid!!!
Same here. You all say it is so easy to get....not in my area...Buffalo NY

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
tvacc said:
Same here. You all say it is so easy to get....not in my area...Buffalo NY
Have you tried Wal-Mart? My local Wal-Mart has the coolant, as does the Advance Auto store (like an Autozone).

The proper oil, however, is very hard to find - any place... :shrug:

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I have been told by Chevron (Havoline) and by Lotus that the actual Havoline XLC is not available in the US. The available version is Havoline Extended Life DexCool, which apparently is different. I have learned that any ethylene glycol antifreeze with OAT corrosion inhibitors is fine. No word directly if DexCool antifreeze is OK or not. Finding out which antifreeze has OAT inhibitors can be difficult.

However, per my conversations with the wonderful folks at Lotus, although it is amber in color, PEAK Global Lifetime antifreeze/coolant http://www.peakantifreeze.com/peak_global_lifetime.html fits the bill and is available at many locations http://www.peakantifreeze.com/storelocator.html

good luck :up:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Elise Coolant

I called 1-800-lube-tek today and a engineer told me that Havoline XLC is the same as Havoline DexCool.

RoadDad said:
I have been told by Chevron (Havoline) and by Lotus that the actual Havoline XLC is not available in the US. The available version is Havoline Extended Life DexCool, which apparently is different. I have learned that any ethylene glycol antifreeze with OAT corrosion inhibitors is fine. No word directly if DexCool antifreeze is OK or not. Finding out which antifreeze has OAT inhibitors can be difficult.

However, per my conversations with the wonderful folks at Lotus, although it is amber in color, PEAK Global Lifetime antifreeze/coolant http://www.peakantifreeze.com/peak_global_lifetime.html fits the bill and is available at many locations http://www.peakantifreeze.com/storelocator.html

good luck :up:

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
rfelise said:
I called 1-800-lube-tek today and a engineer told me that Havoline XLC is the same as Havoline DexCool.
I never got an answer about Havoline DexCool from Lotus. They told me to get the PEAK Global Lifetime coolant. :shrug:

I couldn't find anything about OAT corrosion inhibitors in the Havoline DexCool info, but again :shrug:.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
RoadDad said:
It's not really difficult to determine if an antifreeze has OAT - that pretty much defines DexCool - however...

If you look up DexCool, it is described as an OAT (Organic Acid Technology), but there are different types of OAT - DexCool and the another type. This article from a trade magizine has even more (confusing) information. Now, I'm really confused. :confused: :shrug:

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
TimMullen said:
It's not really difficult to determine if an antifreeze has OAT - that pretty much defines DexCool - however...

If you look up DexCool, it is described as an OAT (Organic Acid Technology), but there are different types of OAT - DexCool and the another type. This article from a trade magizine has even more (confusing) information. Now, I'm really confused. :confused: :shrug:
That's why I was trying to find out from Lotus if the DexCool was OK. I informed them that I was having trouble finding ethylene glycol antifreeze with OAT inhibitors but I had Havoline Extended Life DexCool readily available. They never told me that it was ok to use, instead they pointed me to the PEAK coolant and even found my closest NAPA retail location for me that carries it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
none of these coolants are available in my country. do you know any other brands that fulfill the lotus recomendations ?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Dex cool(death cool) was originally marketed as silica(the stuff in normal coolant that protects aluminum) free it has a nasty habit of destroying engines right after their warranties expire... I got a car that had death cool in it and half of the coolant system tubing metal tubing had holes in it... I would google deathcool before ever putting a GM product in your lotus

My powertrain warranty is already void and I plan on putting an aftermarket supercharger on so I am not afraid to say it... I will NEVER put orange antifreeze in any car I ever own lotus or otherwise

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I will NEVER put orange antifreeze in any car I ever own lotus or otherwise
Agreed! As soon as my warranty is out, I'm flushing the system and putting in something normal.

i have found repsol here and shell but none of them are orange. can someone take a look and let me know ?
Unfortunately, you really can't go by color and mixing the wrong types can allegedly lead to very bad results.

You're in Greece? Might try contacting the (only) dealer in Athens:
TRIDENT CARS SA

·
Registered
295 Posts
Agreed! As soon as my warranty is out, I'm flushing the system and putting in something normal.

Unfortunately, you really can't go by color and mixing the wrong types can allegedly lead to very bad results.

You're in Greece? Might try contacting the (only) dealer in Athens:
TRIDENT CARS SA
Was that a joke about the Greek dealer ? the guys there no sh**t,

i have emptied my entire system, radiator and engine block from the coolant, and i am looking for something new. are the above mentioned coolants any good ???

21 - 40 of 53 Posts