The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got my 83 Esprit yesterday :coolnana::nanner: and last night after bringing it home and putting it to bed, the engine bay vent. fan stayed on for over 1 hour. I finally unplugged the fan before it killed the battery.

I'm a little hesitant about going somewhere and being stuck with a dead battery. How long do these fans normally stay on? I'm thinking possibly the fan regulator thermostat or the timer might need replacing but would appreciate a second opinion.

·
Registered
292 Posts
On our S2 which is black the fan will stay on permanently if the car is in the sun. We stuck a big kill switch in the battery circuit to switch off the whole car. If the thermostat that controls it is anything like the S2 it is a pretty crude thing.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
No idea -- but CONGRATS!!!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If I recall the engine bay fan is controled with a Bi-Metallic temp switch. It could be that switch is bad.

The purpose of the fan is to remove excess engine heat after shut down so the carbs don't vapor lock for easier restarting.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sounds like the contacts in the thermal fan switch stuck together.

Mine hardly ever comes on , when it has it runs for about 5/10 mins.

·
Scott Graham
293 Posts
My Dad used to own a 1998 esprit that did this, turned out to be the fan relay that went bad.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for their input -if the thermal fan switch is bad and stays on, theoretically the timer should cut off in 15 minutes, correct? I think I'll probably replace both, just to be sure.

Happy 4th everyone!!

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,943 Posts
Many folks with carbed cars don't bother to connect the fan on the engine cover. Unless the day is really hot you don't need it (I'm told).

:shrug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts