The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys does anyone knows where i can buy the rear antenna that can be attached at the engine cover where the black rubber buttton is? i always see this antennas on the european version

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
If just do not like how the black spot looks, and are not dead set on the antenna, I noticed Sector 111 has a Lotus badge that fits over that black spot. Just another option.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
antenna

i just think it looks pretty sharp with that black antenna at the back, there is nothing wrong with the hidden antenna.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I prefer the look of the antenna mounted on the engine cover also. But I'm more interested in improving the reception of the radio, so does anyone have any info on performance of the stock
(hidden) antenna vs. the engine cover mounted antenna? I can't believe that the quality of the Blaupunkt LA receiver is worse than the unit in my Jeep Liberty, so I'm thinking the antenna may be the limitation.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Jim Itin said:
so I'm thinking the antenna may be the limitation.
Biggest problem is that the Elise is made from plastic on the outside.

This means that the antenna does not have a good ground-plane to work with, so they all suffer quite badly in reception.

All Elises have lousy radio reception. TADS :D

In the UK Tigga made an additional ground plate that could be bolted to the underside of the engine cover. This alrady helped the reception a lot, but it's still a lot worse than your average 'metal' car.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks, Arno. This saves me a bit of wasted effort trying to improve something with inherent limitations. Guess I'll just use CD's on long trips and listen to the engine on short trips. Time to move on to other minor projects, like installing the quick release fittings for the diffuser and improving the shift linkage.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Jim Itin said:
This saves me a bit of wasted effort trying to improve something with inherent limitations.
Well, if you really want to work on it you could try connecting BOTH antennas to a radio that has "diversity reception". This incorporates two tuners, each having its own antenna in a different location, and a fast-switching circuit that always tries to pick the one with the better signal at any moment. I'm not sure which mfrs offer it now, but Blaupunkt's "Bremen" ($$$) does.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Another random thought regarding non-metallic auto bodies and antenna capability. I would guess that Corvettes have no problems with radio reception / sensitivity, and it's a similar construction (GRP body, but not sure about frame -- probably part aluminum, part steel). Since the 'Vette crowd would surely not stand for poor radio performance, there must be a solution. Wonder what GM did?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Jim Itin said:
I would guess that Corvettes have no problems with radio reception / sensitivity
There is an lot of metal under the heavy fiberglass body on a Corvette...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Don't forget there is a lot of metal under the fiberglass on the Elise, but it's aluminum. Seems there would be a good way to ground the antenna.
Jim how are you enjoying the Elise?

·
Registered
472 Posts
James A,
I'm absolutely loving the Elise, exactly as I expected. I picked it up at LOA in early Nov., drove back to Delaware, and have about 1500 miles on it now (a couple of really rainy weeks put a dent in the usage). Aside from sketchy dealer prep (lots of swirlies in the clear coat), the only "problem" was a loose speaker wire. Everything else has been great, or got improved easily (e.g., Stan's pointers on adjusting the brake pedal height was a big improvement). I'm not having any problems with cold weather operation (it's been below 20 deg in the mornings lately),
but I'm not pushing my luck with tire grip too much either. After the first salt flies (we're really generous with the stuff up here), I may park it till the spring rains. Then it's on the road to some vintage races (Summit Pt., Watkins Glen, maybe VIR) and a driving school or two. Can't wait.
I would imagine you're having fun too, but do you get the Seven out anymore?
Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts