The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was surprised to see that you can see right into the engine and wondered if there was something to keep debris out from the engine. I found these engine covers. Does anyone have something similar and do these work without making the engine too hot or if it melted these lol?

thank you

mai

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you look down under the engine, you will see that it is basically a direct shot from the rear wheels. The engine needs air flow for cooling, and covering the top will not protect it from dirt, which is mostly coming from below.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It is very important to have airflow out of the engine cover for proper cooling. The mesh kits like what you showed above will help keep larger debris like leaves out and I have mesh on my Orange Elise. Make sure to get the correct kit for your car if you do decide to order because the kit you showed above is for 2011 and newer and will not fit the 2005. You can also buy the mesh in sheets and make them yourself if you are handy. Good luck...

Reactions: Mai Mai

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
It’s not going to be a problem for you. I appreciate wanting to keep the car tidy but it will be ok.

I once had an axle boot come apart and spray thick brown grease everywhere. Seemed like 14 rolls of paper towels later it was ok again. Excursions into gravel traps left piles of gravel, that too came out eventually. As j_b said, it’s from underneath that the appearance perils appear.

Maybe get the engine cover painted something pretty and you can enjoy looking into there at your motor even with the cover down.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s not going to be a problem for you. I appreciate wanting to keep the car tidy but it will be ok.

I once had an axle boot come apart and spray thick brown grease everywhere. Seemed like 14 rolls of paper towels later it was ok again. Excursions into gravel traps left piles of gravel, that too came out eventually. As j_b said, it’s from underneath that the appearance perils appear.

Maybe get the engine cover painted something pretty and you can enjoy looking into there at your motor even with the cover down.
Great! So how you all get the grime and dirt out from underneath?

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Well, just how clean does it need to be? Any car driven anywhere has some degree of extra stuff riding around under it, even when we get them all shiny on top and inside.

For a concours they can be lifted up and polished.

In my part of the world we just drive through a creek to clean them up.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, just how clean does it need to be? Any car driven anywhere has some degree of extra stuff riding around under it, even when we get them all shiny on top and inside.

For a concours they can be lifted up and polished.

In my part of the world we just drive through a creek to clean them up.

View attachment 1283646
Lol. Nice!! Yeah I think mine the water would
Come in these cars are low to the ground

1 - 9 of 9 Posts