The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am cmpletely new to this and never used forums before, but thought I'd give it a go. I saved up my cash and bought my boyhood dream car. I have a 1999 s1 elise. I was drivig it earlier today and all of a sudden the battery light came on and the car just stopped as in all power went (as if i'd stalled it but without any judder) just simply cut out. I have not being able to restart it since. It turns over, but fails to start. I have tried jump leading it as I flattened the battery trying to restart it and still nothing.... I have checked all the fuses and the battery terminals aren't loose or anything and all seems fine... All the electrics appear to work and light up on the dash etc.. and the engine light doesn't stay on and I think the starter motor is trying to start it. So I think its leaning towards a fuel issue... I checked the fuel fuse and that was fine... Anyone got any idea what it might be... or if it is a common problem?? The cars done 58000 miles so is ready for a cambelt change.... does it sound in any way like this might have gone?? I'm afraid my mechanical knowledge is only quite basic, but I'd like to try and solve what seems to be probably just one simple thing... And to be honest I don't have a great deal of money to admit defeat and take it to a dealer...

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks guys,
Andy

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Andy,

Welcome to LotusTalk! This forum though is based in the US and mostly deals with the S2 111R variant - try forums.seloc.org - the UK forum for info on the S1.

All the best
Steve

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Yes - try seloc.

Don't panic.

Engines that stop suddenly without preceding knocks, bangs, smoke or steam are usually not seriously ill. Any good mechanic could go through the simple checks with you - fuel/spark etc. before you need to go to a dealer.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
As per the former posts, we only have a few S1 Elises in the states so try SELOC for specifics. With a sudden engine cut out problem though you should be able to approach it like any other car. First you need ignition, so ensure you have spark at the spark plugs. They make inline spark testers these days you can hook up between a spark plug and its ignition wire or coil that will flash light if there is ignition spark upon cranking the engine. Don't attempt to check the spark by the old method of holding the bare ignition wire near the engine block and watching for a spark as someone else cranks the engine. You will receive a powerful electric jolt to your hand if the ignition is working and you also may damage your ignition system due to the sensitive computer controls. Once you are certain you have spark, check for fuel pressure. First make sure the fuel pump is getting electricity and then check to see if it is running when attempting to start the engine. If you are unable to determine if the pump is running, you will need to tap into the fuel rail at the engine with a pressure gauge to check for sufficient fuel pressure. Once you have determined what has stopped working, then you can go about finding the fault. Usually in cases like this, it is a failed fuel pump, but it could be your ignition system or (very unlikely) your engine management computer. Since you were close to a required timing belt replacement, it may be prudent to remove the timing belt cover to ensure the belt has not failed. Watch the cam pulley that is run by the timing belt while you are attempting to start the engine. If the cam pulley is not turning, the belt has failed.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Hi. I am cmpletely new to this and never used forums before, but thought I'd give it a go. I saved up my cash and bought my boyhood dream car. I have a 1999 s1 elise. I was drivig it earlier today and all of a sudden the battery light came on and the car just stopped as in all power went (as if i'd stalled it but without any judder) just simply cut out. I have not being able to restart it since. It turns over, but fails to start. I have tried jump leading it as I flattened the battery trying to restart it and still nothing.... I have checked all the fuses and the battery terminals aren't loose or anything and all seems fine... All the electrics appear to work and light up on the dash etc.. and the engine light doesn't stay on and I think the starter motor is trying to start it. So I think its leaning towards a fuel issue... I checked the fuel fuse and that was fine... Anyone got any idea what it might be... or if it is a common problem?? The cars done 58000 miles so is ready for a cambelt change.... does it sound in any way like this might have gone?? I'm afraid my mechanical knowledge is only quite basic, but I'd like to try and solve what seems to be probably just one simple thing... And to be honest I don't have a great deal of money to admit defeat and take it to a dealer...

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks guys,
Andy
Don't be insulted by this, but could it be out of gas? If the fuel gauge is faulty it could be that. Sounds like a fuel starvation issue...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The 111R has an inertia switch designed to cut off fuel in the event of an accident, perhaps the S1 has something similar?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys!!! Really appreciated...

Cheers for the other forum I have already found a common problem with the wiring around the Fuel Pump, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it might be a loose connection come loose when i hit a bump or similar... but it all seems to point to the fuel pump in some way! Hopefully I can get it fixed for the weekend!!!

Thanks once again for the quick responses!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts