The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a new racing clutch, rotors, brakes, tires, etc installed on my 05 Elise last summer. I haven't driven the car much since then. I will be moving abroad in a few weeks and have been dreading storing my Elise for 2-3 years in a garage somewhere. I was contemplating selling her so tonight I took her out for a possible end to our 7 year relationship. I was in first gear going less than 10mph and accelerated quickly. Oh [email protected]#, I hear this loud pop noise from the engine bay area...

Back up to last autumn. Like I said, I haven't driven the car much since I had some work done but did notice last October that the car would squeak (more than normal) whenever I would shift gears or accelerate hard. To me it sounded like maybe the exhaust was loose. I hadn't driven the car since then. A few weeks ago I noticed the same sound and it seemed to be getting worse. At that time it seemed like the body of the car (I know doesn't make sense) in the rear was loose. I still thought that it might be the exhaust.

Back to tonight. I park my car and open the trunk. I had to open and close my eyes several times to make sure that I wasn't seeing things. I'll try and take some photos but it looks like the engine is slanted downwards going to the firewall (where the rear window is). It is level like it was earlier. Even the throttle body rubber hose seems to be bent a little. The car now sounds like the exhaust may have a leak and is a little louder than it normally is (stage 2 exhaust).

Any thought? Engine mount(s) gone? I'm seeing things? I am supposed to move in a few weeks so I'll probably have to deal with it in a few year.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
this sounds crazy... pics will certainly help tell the story a bit better

who worked on the car last? sounds like they did a terrible job bolting the mounts back, or simply butchering the job in general... if that was the case this is certainly reason enough for legal action (& im not one to encourage lawsuits by anymeans)... but by the sounds of it, whoever did the clutch dropped the engine or at minimum unbolted some of the mounts to get better access for the clutch install & didn't bolt the mounts back properly

with that said, if the engine is truly titled forward because of a mount issue then that would certainly cause the exhaust to torque a bit more than it should & case leaks at a flange or cracks at welds which is why you might be hearing that sound

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
Yes, pics please........:(

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
So I had a new racing clutch, rotors, brakes, tires, etc installed on my 05 Elise last summer.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is the root of the problem. :evil:
Sounds like you lost a front engine mount.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you're debating whether or not to sell the car I can't think of a better tie breaker than to ignore every serious noise you hear from it for a year or two.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hard to capture the true "beauty" of what happened but hopefully you can see it from the pics.

Thanks for the comments thus far. wdonovan, spot on words. The car has been a blast. Plus I can't imagine trying to sell it now with this new issue. It will have to sit in a garage for the next few years.

Attachments

·
Inactive
831 Posts
I had increasing noise at speed as you describe.

One tab on the left hand mount parted company with the rest of the mount and the bolts on the rest of the mount sheared, so effectively the left mount was gone. I only discovered this when I pulled the Toyota engine out.

The mounts are only bent sheet metal, and they can fatigue and break.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Hard to capture the true "beauty" of what happened but hopefully you can see it from the pics.
if you can try to take pictures straight down from the firewall area... there should be enough visual clearance to see the front mount sitaution & what it looks like

also more direct shots looking straight down at the transmission area where the dirver side mount/bracket would be (similar to the 2nd to last pic in your last pic post, but different angles)

based on the angle the engine is resting it looks to be an issue with the driver side mount which would make sense if they were replacing a clutch & trying to get better clearance for the install

that could tell us much more

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I had increasing noise at speed as you describe.

One tab on the left hand mount parted company with the rest of the mount and the bolts on the rest of the mount sheared, so effectively the left mount was gone. I only discovered this when I pulled the Toyota engine out.

The mounts are only bent sheet metal, and they can fatigue and break.
sounds like a rare thing to happen though... if the bolts/studs are loose or not tourqued enough i could totally understand this... but for them to come undone & lose in general is probably not very common unless the mounts/engine is seeing an crazy amount of movement/vibration

did this happen to you post-clutch install as well?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sounds like a rare thing to happen though... if the bolts/studs are loose or not tourqued enough i could totally understand this... but for them to come undone & lose in general is probably not very common unless the mounts/engine is seeing an crazy amount of movement/vibration

did this happen to you post-clutch install as well?
Yeah, this happened after the clutch install. The new clutch gave the car a lot more torque when shifting so maybe that has something to do with it. I want to call the shop but it is one of those things that I think would be hard to prove that they had some hand in this. Plus, I respect the shop and don't want to get in a pissing contest with them about it.

I'll have to read up on the engine mount locations in order to try and get some better pics without taking up all of this site's bandwidth.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'll have to read up on the engine mount locations in order to try and get some better pics without taking up all of this site's bandwidth.
no problem... if i can get some time i will go out to my car & check where the driver side mount is specifically & let you know where to take pics... off the top of my head im unsure how visable it is from the deck lid looking down

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yea looks like the transmission mount (driver side) has some issue with it. You will definitely want to get that fixed ASAP.

With the wheel/wheel liner off on the driver rear you may be able to peep your head in there and see more of what is going on.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Free advice, so it is essentially worthless, but ...

I would get the problem taken care of now just in case in the next few years you need to sell the car. There is a Lotus dealer in Bethesda now. There is also RRT Racing in Virginia, one of the guy's owns an Elise so they could possibly help fix you up quickly.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
mantis, the mount that you should be checking is in between the coolant reservoir & the intake/airbox... just look down & you will see it (if its still there anyway)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts