The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone who daily drives their elise get engine overheating issues? I read that the newer toyota engines have a problem with that...Don't get me wrong because I'm going to get the car regardless, I was just wondering about any measure I should take because it will be a daily driver for some time...:shrug:

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I have never had an overheating issue, and of the many other Elise/Exige owners I know, I'm not aware of any of them ever having such an issue.

It's difficult to get hot enough, even on a 100deg day in slow moving traffic, to get the first radiator fan to kick on, and I've never heard the second fan come on ever.

There is a post-shutdown pump system that will keep circulating coolant through the engine and the heater core (acting as a small radiator) until the ECM is sure it's cool enough.

xtn

·
Registered
93 Posts
I use my elise for a fair weather DD, and I’ve never had an issue with the engine over heating in traffic. The only issue I’ve worry about with a lotus as a DD is to make sure you have a safe parking spot once you get to work.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I have never had an overheating issue, and of the many other Elise/Exige owners I know, I'm not aware of any of them ever having such an issue.
Hmmm... and all this time I thought we knew each other.
:shrug:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Sorry about that at first glance it didn't seem to apply because although they do mention traffic and I noted the original poster being from Cali would understand what I mean by deadlock traffic... My main concern was they daily driving factor coupled with heavy traffic...
Never a problem here with overheating even in traffic in CA.

·
Registered
332 Posts
When I was breaking-in the engine, in stop-and-go traffic in Denver at 100+ deg. F. and AC was on full-blast (and failing miserably since I hadn't performed the AC-fix-mod yet) the engine reached the critical temperature level briefly as the warning temp started flashing for about 1 minute, then it went back down to 193F once I started moving again.

Towards the end of the break-in period, right before the first oil change, most of my vehicles had done this at one time or another. After the 1st oil change it never happened again (on any vehicle.) I suspect it's somewhat normal.

If you're consistently in stop & go hot weather, I recommend a dose of Redline Water Wetter.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Hmmm... and all this time I thought we knew each other.
:shrug:
Oh wait... I would like to retract my previous statement and say that I'm aware of one owner who has had an issue.

But it should be clarified that the issue was in no way related to the design of the cooling system or any other inherent problem with the Lotus, but rather a faulty thermostat which could happen just the same in any other car.

xtn

PS - I don't feel like I know you anymore Cody. You don't ever call me or take me out like you used to. I feel so used.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I use my elise for a fair weather DD, and I’ve never had an issue with the engine over heating in traffic. The only issue I’ve worry about with a lotus as a DD is to make sure you have a safe parking spot once you get to work.
+1k
Been DD for about 6 months, my fan rarely even comes on, but now that the weather is getting hot, I'll see what happens...

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Good info, how high can the temps climb before you should start worrying? Is the 205-210 range cause to be nervous in the summer?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I saw 209 one time. July 4, 2007. I was driving cross-country. It hit 209 with ambient temperature around 105 and I was climbing out of Salt River Canyon on US-60 in Arizona. Coolant temp normally runs between 187 and 194... 194 is common on hot days in the desert.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Oh wait... I would like to retract my previous statement and say that I'm aware of one owner who has had an issue.

But it should be clarified that the issue was in no way related to the design of the cooling system or any other inherent problem with the Lotus, but rather a faulty thermostat which could happen just the same in any other car.

xtn

PS - I don't feel like I know you anymore Cody. You don't ever call me or take me out like you used to. I feel so used.
See there!

I know, I know. But I've got another friend with truck that lives closer to me!
;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts