The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been from time to time shifting my Esprit real slow due to the fact that I still havent pulled the tranny to check the condition of the clutch and it occasionally grinds, however I found that if I, clutch, wait a couple of seconds, shift, then release the clutch, the car always shifts real smooth. But I also noticed that during that short period of waiting a couple of seconds the engine seems to be imbalanced, is there maybe a motor mount problem with Esprit that I have not heard of yet. I am going to pull my trans. soon, but just havent gotten the chance yet.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Not quite sure what you mean by 'imbalanced' as if it's missing cylinder fire? Perhaps a spark plug wire is grounding out? Just a guess. I shift my car slow between gears to be gentle on her as she's getting up in miles but I've alway's handled it with care.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes a little more info. Shifting from what to what, and at what speed or rpm.

Double clutching tends to help in some circumstances.

Clutches don't grind, they slip. Gears grind. If you are not getting enough clutch travel then you can grind your gears because the clutch is not disengaging. You can check that without removing tranny.

When you hold the clutch in you unload the engine, which will cause a slight shift on the motor mounts. The mounts are part rubber to allow slight flexing.

There are two engine mounts and two tranny mounts. The engine mounts are sturdy, but the rubber can get worn.
I have seen two trannies with the driver side mount sheared off the tranny.

Randy

·
Registered
744 Posts
i think there is ignition issue - type82 could be right.
if you haven't change your plug and wires, might as well do it and test it again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts