The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got my engine out with few wounds. I did happen to penetrate my firewall with the alternator bolt, also my crank pulley got bashed up pretty good.

Im wondering, does a reputable company make a aftermarket crank pulley? Same diameter of course. I dont feel l ike paying 210$ for an OEM pulley, yikes!

One more question, would it be easier to drop in the bottom end first, then bolt it up, and then work the head, timing chain and so on with the block in the car?

So Im sure Ill have tons of questions during the remainder of the build. Anyway, heres a few pics:

Ive been driving this a mile down the street to the hardware store. A 32 year old driving a gokart to get parts. I got it up to 52 mph. Thats right, not exactly sure when Ill stop feeling 16 years old.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Rebuilding an Elise engine with hardware store parts ???:eek::eek::panic::panic:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hardware store for tools..

Anyhow, is it more beneficial to stuff the bottom end into the engine bay, get her bolted in, then start with the head, timing chain, and so on?

Thankyou

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Marty,
Don't try and build it in the car, there is f#ck all of room between the frame and the timing cover to work. you should do yourself a favor and consider this a lesson learned and take the transmission out now. Bolt it up to the new motor and drop it all in as a unit. You absolutely don't want to wrestle that engine in and try to align the transmission input shaft through the clutch. If you don't pull the tranny your doing it the hard way and you will be risking further damage.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
lol, for about 10 seconds there, I saw the go kart and thought it was an elise stripped down to its chasis

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Marty,
Don't try and build it in the car, there is f#ck all of room between the frame and the timing cover to work. you should do yourself a favor and consider this a lesson learned and take the transmission out now. Bolt it up to the new motor and drop it all in as a unit. You absolutely don't want to wrestle that engine in and try to align the transmission input shaft through the clutch. If you don't pull the tranny your doing it the hard way and you will be risking further damage.

Good Luck!
What he said. I had my motor/tranny out in no time.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would not recommend assembling the engine in the car. Its a PITA! It can be done but it would be much easier out of the car and dropping it in.

Problems you will run into...
You cannot get to some of the timing chain cover bolts because the chassis is in the way so you have to undo the motor mounts and jack the motor up and back to clear it.

I forget if there is 1 or 2 intake manifold studs that get in the way of putting the manifold on with the head already on because its so close to the firewall. so you have to back out the studs and then try to get them back in as far as you can but its not easy because there's not enough threads showing once the manifold is on.

Either way anything you do on these cars is a PITA! Goodluck!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Marty,

Good Luck!
I didnt necessarily have a hard time getting it out, other then the engine falling backwerds toward the firewall, puncturing a small hole in the firewall, Ah well, no biggy. Took me forever getting the engine re-tilted, but eventually I got it out.

The kart doesn't have a speedometer, so I must assume that you used your phone's GPS to calculate that you were going 52mph.
Nope, I raced my Jetta diesel. I pulled away from the line and he slowly started catching me and passed me at the 50 mph mark.

I never pulled the trans and motor at the same time.
More work and more time to pull both. The second time is easier.
Thats what I was thinking Jim. I didnt really have trouble pulling the motor nor did I think it was that difficult. The second and third time around will be much easier. Im working on getting the used head unbolted and sent back to you. Ill take pics of the fantastic head you sent me. Much praise Caroline.

I would not recommend assembling the engine in the car. Its a PITA! It can be done but it would be much easier out of the car and dropping it in.

Problems you will run into...
You cannot get to some of the timing chain cover bolts because the chassis is in the way so you have to undo the motor mounts and jack the motor up and back to clear it.

I forget if there is 1 or 2 intake manifold studs that get in the way of putting the manifold on with the head already on because its so close to the firewall. so you have to back out the studs and then try to get them back in as far as you can but its not easy because there's not enough threads showing once the manifold is on.

Either way anything you do on these cars is a PITA! Goodluck!
Thanks for the suggestions, I do realize it will be a tight fit, but it seems so much easier getting the bottom end thrown in then bolt everything up after that. Just the issue of the dang timing chain and pulleys.

Either way, Im more concerned/hoping I get everything re-plugged properly and in the right place and re-started. Im also concerned about the sloppy rats nest of wiring I have in this car from the previous owner. Id kill to have my wiring cleaned up and organized.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Put the new short block on an engine stand. Install the head and timing cover (plus whatever else needs installing) while it's on the stand. Lift longblock off stand with engine hoist. Install flywheel and clutch while hanging on hoist ( 1" off the ground or sitting on blocks). Easy peesey (sp?).

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Put the new short block on an engine stand. Install the head and timing cover (plus whatever else needs installing) while it's on the stand. Lift longblock off stand with engine hoist. Install flywheel and clutch while hanging on hoist ( 1" off the ground or sitting on blocks). Easy peesey (sp?).
Whats the purpose of having the block an inch from the ground when installing the clutch/flywheel combo?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, thanks Jim, I catch your drift. Let me ask, when taking out the motor, the axles rubber boot latch tore off and a little bit of axle grease splurged out of the axle. Not knowing much about maintenance of axles, is it ok just to re-attach the rubber boot and add another clamp?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts