The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced the "check engine" light yet? After a trouble free 3500 miles, the light appeared while casually driving today. I have read and understand page 49 of the O.M., but curious if anyone else has experienced this and what you learned.

Only new variable is a lost gas cap on Friday. Could it be that simple (fuel / gas mixture issues)? I doubt it, but I ask the wizards of EliseTalk for sage advice.

Thanks. Kevin

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Kevin,
The gas cap coming off WILL trigger a MIL light. Did you replace the cap yet? I believe it takes a set number of starts before it will clear the fault.

Chris

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
99% chance of your light being the gas cap. Get a new one ASAP.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Chris.

Replacement gas cap to arrive tomorrow. Obvious observation now is I should not have been driving without the cap. But that would be akin to blowing off a date with a supermodel!

Any risk of damage to the engine?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
KLM,
No risk to your engine far as I know, it's just to do with the emissions not being in compliance, to make doubly sure ask your dealer tomorrow.
Also, when you get the cap, have them clear the fault for you otherwise you have to cycle it something 50 starts before it clears.
Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts