The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the information and articles I read, it's not clear to me how Lotus retuned the engine. Is it still the same ECU that's in a Celica, just remapped? Or is it a completely different ECU? If it's different, what system is it? The AutoCar article talks about "developing their own (T4) engine management system".

I'm mainly curious to find out if and how easily the ECU can be reprogrammed, ideally by a local tuner. Yes, I'm way ahead of myself, but I'm bored...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It's not hard to remap an ECU/PCU what is hard is knowing what to do and not really screwing up the engine or complete power train! Many of today's cars cannot be improved on in terms of hp (without mechanical engine mods) and companies like SuperChips can only offer changes in the rev. limiter and removal of maximum speed limiters. It will be interesting to see what becomes available for the Toyo Elise engine.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are nice gains with just an intake, especially the mid-range torque. Lotus already picked up some power through their own tuning, so further improvement might be a little harder. That APEXi unit looks like a good option in case the stock ECU isn't (easily) reprogrammable. Very reasonably priced for a standalone, too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
the ECU was completely replaced by Lotus. I forgot the name, but it from a group that makes formula 1 parts. I think it also is a 8 bit unit versus toyotas 4 bit ECU.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Jay said:
the ECU was completely replaced by Lotus. I forgot the name, but it from a group that makes formula 1 parts. I think it also is a 8 bit unit versus toyotas 4 bit ECU.
Jay,
My understanding is that it is a 16 bit unit replacing the Toyota 8 bit processor. The faster processor has allowed Lotus to do a better job of tuning. Remember Lotus Engineering has 27 dyno bays in Ann Arbor... lots of capacity to sort out ECUs and get the most out any engine.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
637 Posts
CrashTestDummy said:
yea but with all due respect didnt they only get @ 10 more horsepower than the stock Celica ECU?
That's a fair point, but don't forget lotus offer a warranty with that and most tuners don't. Performance and reliability are often at odds - getting 10hp more out of an already highly tuned engine is pertty good imho.

Craigy

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Craigy said:
That's a fair point, but don't forget lotus offer a warranty with that and most tuners don't. Performance and reliability are often at odds - getting 10hp more out of an already highly tuned engine is pertty good imho.

Craigy
It's about priorities. If the game was HP then Lotus has the know how. Lotus was getting around 550HP out of the 2.2L Esprit turbo in race condition. That's about 250HP/liter!!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
khamai said:
It's about priorities. If the game was HP then Lotus has the know how. Lotus was getting around 550HP out of the 2.2L Esprit turbo in race condition. That's about 250HP/liter!!!
I don't think that's a fair comparison. You'recomparing a turbocharged engine in race tune with a normally aspirated engine in road tune.

IIRC the most lotus got out of the turbo-4 esprit lump in road tune was 300bhp (temporary overboost), about 136bhp per litre.
The toyota lump is 1.8l and making 190bhp is about 105bhp per litre with no turbo. That's really doing quite well - it's certainly in honda type R/ferrari/BMW M realms of power to displacement.

Craigy

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Keep in mind that a race engine is expected to last at most 4300 miles, in the case of going for a win at Le Mans, or as little as 1/4 mile for a drage racer. You probably expect to get at least 60,000 miles between rebuilds on your street engine, and thats if you are a die hard.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hey guys... I'd like to think I understand the difference between street & race engines... I was only trying to illustrate that there is a spectrum in the compromises and that Lotus is capable of engineering at any point along that spectrum. I've been around plenty of cars where one of the crew members says, "We're firing it up" and everyone ducks for cover.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
khamai said:
Hey guys... I'd like to think I understand the difference between street & race engines... I was only trying to illustrate that there is a spectrum in the compromises and that Lotus is capable of engineering at any point along that spectrum. I've been around plenty of cars where one of the crew members says, "We're firing it up" and everyone ducks for cover.

Kiyoshi
Hey, that sounds like my garage, but people usually grab a fire bottle before they duck. :)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The US market prototype used in either Topgear or EVO mag a little while ago showed a glimpse of what appeared to be An "EFI Engineering" logo on the case of the ECU.
m.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
It is surprising that Lotus only coaxed a small increase out of the engine compared to a Celica GT-S. I think Monkeywrench Racing and a guy with the username CIN on Spyderchat (he has a 2ZZ in his Spyder) got a little more out of the 2ZZ using a Power FC. I have a (1ZZ) Power FC for my Spyder and I think it is good for an additional 8-10 HP, more with proper tuning. With the 2ZZ Power FC you can play with lift parameters. Could it be that Lotus tuned it conservatively for warranty reasons?

What I've been reading about the flap in the airbox that is supposedly opened/closed by the ECU makes me think that you would lose that function with a replacement ECU... and that would be hard to make up for. However, if it is strictly a function of RPM when the flap opens, though, you could use a "window switch" like people do for NOS. I'd want to know everything there is to know about Elise's ECU before doing anything.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Beanie said:
It is surprising that Lotus only coaxed a small increase out of the engine compared to a Celica GT-S. I think Monkeywrench Racing and a guy with the username CIN on Spyderchat (he has a 2ZZ in his Spyder) got a little more out of the 2ZZ using a Power FC. I have a (1ZZ) Power FC for my Spyder and I think it is good for an additional 8-10 HP, more with proper tuning. With the 2ZZ Power FC you can play with lift parameters. Could it be that Lotus tuned it conservatively for warranty reasons?
Lotus tuned the engine intake, exhaust manifold, and ECU for increased midrange torque and extened high RPM cam range.

·
Registered
677 Posts
ConeFusion said:
From the information and articles I read, it's not clear to me how Lotus retuned the engine. Is it still the same ECU that's in a Celica, just remapped? Or is it a completely different ECU? If it's different, what system is it? The AutoCar article talks about "developing their own (T4) engine management system".

I'm mainly curious to find out if and how easily the ECU can be reprogrammed, ideally by a local tuner. Yes, I'm way ahead of myself, but I'm bored...
Here is a thread that answers most of your questions about the ECU.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6633

1 - 19 of 19 Posts