The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Engine noise from Seloc 111r owners?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Craigy 
#1 ·
I saw on Seloc where some 111r owners were complaining about their car engine sounding bad and i was wondering if anyone has heard of this that has listened to a fed car? I am beginning to get paranoid about the maintanence this car is going to require. Someone fill me in on their thoughts on this matter. Is the toyota going to be "bulletproof" and reliable or will i be driving from Louisiana to Texas every month?

#3 ·
_JD_ said:
which thread? I have'nt seen much of that talk on SELOC.
I just searched under 111r and you will see a thread about engine noise.

#5 ·
I've heard really good things about the aural experience. One journalist said that with the engine behind you, whining and growling like crazy at high revs, you really do feel like you're in a little formula car. He understands the desirability of a good engine/exhaust sound, and when I asked him point blank if the car needed an upgraded exhaust, he said no.

#6 ·
I drove a 111R that sounded pretty good, however the US car sounds a bit better, can't put my finger on the difference.

Reliability issues - the engine went through a 500,000 mile durability test (they run engine for x days) tore it down and were amazed at the good condition of the engine components at the end of the test.

Engine/drivetrain won't be major servicing concerns.
Chris

#7 ·
Thanks ya'll. Comfort level increased!

#8 ·
I'll also add that I've revved the engine in a federal car, but haven't driven one. I was at an auto show, so I was sort of self-conscious, but during the brief period in which I was revving up to 4000-5000, I thought to myself, "I can probably live without an upgraded exhaust." As with older 911s, with the engine right behind you, you get a special experience.

#12 ·
ulmpharmd said:
I saw on Seloc where some 111r owners were complaining about their car engine sounding bad and i was wondering if anyone has heard of this that has listened to a fed car? I am beginning to get paranoid about the maintanence this car is going to require. Someone fill me in on their thoughts on this matter. Is the toyota going to be "bulletproof" and reliable or will i be driving from Louisiana to Texas every month?
Dude, is that a long drive?

You might arrive, and the car will be fine, but what about your back - and your hearing?

:) hardcore!

Craigy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.