The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery has plenty of juice, audible clicking when pushing the starter button, but the engine isn't turning over. No fuel smell. Car has only been sitting form2 weeks. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Divide and concur.

Measure the voltage at the battery. an audible click when pushing the starter button is not adequate. A dead battery will make the same noise.

Now that 95% of the problems have been eliminated.

If the car is a manual, what happens if you put the car in 6th gear and try to push the car by hand? Does the motor turn over?

Now go back and check the battery voltage, or just jump the car (+ to +, - to -). I suspect the car will start.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Bad starters aren't unheard of on these cars, either...

I'd just go straight for the jump - if it works, bad battery, if it doesn't, bad starter. The clicking makes me suspect nothing in between.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I just had this one, was the battery. I did a log and graphed my battery over a few days and on day 4 my battery was dead to the point it would not turn over over. I think this varies from car to car, battery to battery quite a bit. I believe a few members use a charger in between drives to prevent the battery from dieing. There is no way my battery would last 2 weeks.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yep, if I plan on not driving the car for more than 3 days, I put it on the trickle charger, or else I know I'll get out and find it dead.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Do you hear the fuel pump buzz prime itself before you start the car?

It may be a bad pump.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Bad ground?

Take the battery to Autozone or equivalent and they can load test it.

Try push-starting the car. I did it one day. When I started it at home, the battery barely had enough juice to start the car and I only drove it about two miles to the store. When I went to leave - "click". So I pushed it about 4 feet, jumped in, and engaged it in 3rd? gear. Fired right up. and drove home.

Good Luck

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
You could also jump the car and bypass the battery by connecting the BLACK cable directly to the block. I had a piece of equipment that had a battery/start issue and it turned out that there was unseen corrosion between the terminal and the cable. Nowhere else. Just between the two surfaces.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts