The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I found that my 2001 V8 esprit is leaking oil from the front of the engine, not sure from where anyone have this issue? I see that the rear frame is wet, the alternator is wet the lines are all wet. I will try to pin point the location but has anyone else had an issue with this? It is DEFINITELY engine oil. where is the common location for oil leaks?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i cannot pin point the leak, however i did find that after cleaning the oil and starting the car on a lift the oil drips down from the upper half of the engine and down the A/C compressor side. any info appreciated

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The oil pressure sensor is a common oil leak source on the lower left side of the engine block, they crack and start leaking out the top. It's a real pain to get to and it's located near the left side engine mount. If it is that, get it fixed soon as it will get worse and worse until it starts pouring out at the most inopportune time.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I would clean up the front of the motor and hope it was just from someone spilling some oil while they were adding it. The oil filler is near the front of the motor. Once the whole area gets wet and dirty it is difficult to find the source anyway. Always start up high and towards the front when looking.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
98 Posts
Pretty sure I have this exact same leak on my 2001. Been trying to look it over to determine where it's coming from. Definitely not from me spilling oil down the front of it. And doesn't look to be the oil cooler hoses.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have the same thing on my 2002 the oil lines are leaking a little but mine is up above that?
Ditto on the oil cooler lines ---- seems to be a very common leak source on these cars. Just had the same issue on my '03. Took me a while to trace it back to the AN fittings where the oil lines join the oil filter adapter. I had noticed oil dripping from higher up and all over the side of the block, off the turbo housing and intake hose, and from the bottom exhaust manifold flange, and puddled in the crease of the heat shield. I was initially concerned that I had blown a head gasket until I noticed both the oil line fittings leaking, and then discovered that the output line runs fairly high pressure and that the fitting joint was spraying oil up and everywhere like a pressure washer when the engine was running !

Cleaned up everything, disconnected and re-tightened the fittings ---- problem solved :)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
You really have to "crank" on those fittings to get them to stop leaking. Only happens if they were ever disconnected. If you still have a leak you can buy beveled copper washers that will stop the leak. Or you can use just a bit of Pipe Dope just on the beveled surfaces. Don't be afraid to really pull hard on those fittings, just be sure to "back them up" with a wrench so you don't twist them.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 12 of 12 Posts