The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a nice day in New England today and I decided to take my Elise out for a ride. When I backed out of the garage I noticed some oil on the floor underneath the engine compartment. I removed the engine under tray to find more oil that had dripped down from the right side (passenger side) of the engine. It was difficult to see where exactly the oil was coming from but it was definitely higher up then the oil pan seal. My car is an '05 and I just bought it 2 months ago with 10,400 miles on it. It now has 11,800 miles. No warning lights have come on as of yet.

I tried searching the forum for this scenario but was unsuccessful in coming up with something similar to what I am experiencing but I apologize in advance if this has been covered earlier.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I would clean the motor off with an engine degreaser and then go for a drive, then look for the oil leak. If you STILL aren't able to locate it's source, then I would use a UV dye in the oil before taking the drive. It works great with a little black light in locating where the leak is originating from.

As for possible locations...that is a tough call. I don't know that side of the engine as well. So good luck on locating it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Many people have had the o-ring on the dip stick tube leak (due to improper installation). It is mentioned in a number of threads here.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Many people have had the o-ring on the dip stick tube leak (due to improper installation). It is mentioned in a number of threads here.
+1 found that one on my Elise after I bought it. Wasn't a bad leak though...didn't even notice it until I took my diffuser off to install exhaust =X

-Ty-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts