The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: I am sure this has been covered before but anyways, I will ask the question for the first time for me and that is what brand of engine oils and grades are being used? I have just taken our '06 Elise off the road (put in the garage, reduced the insurance to fire and theft and am taking off the Toyo r-888's {replaced by the OEM tires and wheels} to be stored in the house basement to avoid freezing).

The present oil in the car is Mobil 1 0-40W "European Formula" which was used by the Vancouver dealer (Weissach) from where I drove the car to Kingston, Ontario. They use this oil for all their exotics that they service including Porsches and Lambos.

I probably will add the same oil during the change but am curious what others are using. The car is used in the summer for both autoslaloms and track days. Will be using the K&N filter that everyone recommends.

For most of our other cars, I tend to use Royal Purple 5W-30 or if the engine is being broken in and has under 10,000 miles, Brad Penn.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
what folks use over here:

299204.jpg 102870_8100_x-cess_5w40_5l-8afacae5.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
our cars need 1100 parts per million of ZDDP or more.

Either ensure your oil meets that spec or buy a ZDDP additive, as from Redline.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Yup I use oil. And use diesel oil to be safe. Or run leaded fuel esp at the track after you pull the cat!

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
What glb said! 1100ppm zddp. No dot oils have this including mobil1 turbodeisel which has 1050ppm. Need to go to redline motul royal purple!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
593 Posts
My car is going into storage soon... :( so the Castrol will do for now, but come spring, I'm putting in Royal Purple and doing a 100% fluid change.

What are you guys using for Transmission fluid? Royal Purple makes gear oil too.. thoughts?

·
Registered
334 Posts
About to change my in a couple weeks. Bought the redline mt90 everyone uses on here.
:up:

I've actually had bad luck with the royal purple gear oil in my FD Rx7, just my experience though. I've always used redline since. :D

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
another source for ZDDP additive: RD enterprises, PA

Great guy, sells many parts for pre-Elise Lotus cars.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Mobil 15W-50 Delvac was my choice till I tried Shell Rotella 5W-40. Testing shows one the the best for avoiding wear. And it seems to look much better afte 4 track days than the Mobil product.
Tranny used Royal Purple for past 2 seasons and have had NO issues.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
What are you guys using for Transmission fluid? Royal Purple makes gear oil too.. thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Motul 300 Gear 75-90... 3 changes in 75 K Mls.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts