what is everyone running '

i am looking at

REDLINE 15W-50 RACING
ENEOS 5W-40
HKS SUPER NA RACING 5W-40
BRAD PENN PENN-GRADE 1 SAE 40 High Performance Oil
JOE GIBBS DRIVEN XP3 15W-50

what do you all think

what is better for a '07 elise (no mods)

any help would be nice

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Thinner is better for cold starts, thicker is better for extensive highway driving
(From my limited understanding of oil weights)

I think Lotus and Toyota both suggest a Synthetic 5w-40.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
actually, Havoline synthetic 5w 40 is in the manual...

I can't find the stuff, so I use Mobil 1 5w 40 for turbo diesels (which really is for any vehicle that requires it, but it makes for a little worse emissions)

Lots of the folks I have read up on in all the oil discussions use the same as me... others change weights and whatnot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am running AMSoil 5w-40 European blend 100% synthetic along with their Ea filter in my 06' Elise. So far so good.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Motul 8100 from Sector 111, but I heavily track my Lotus.

I have never had an oil light pop up and I dont have the Moroso Pan. Trust me I have taken some tight turns and some at 100 mph at Homestead Miami Speedway and Sebring.

Caution: The shipping costs of $15 is expensive. I cringe.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Shell Rotella - T Synthetic 5w-40 and a K&N oil filter. Rather inexpensive and a good qualitly oil.

·
Premium Member
12,148 Posts
I am running AMSoil 5w-40 European blend 100% synthetic along with their Ea filter in my 06' Elise. So far so good.
zddp levels in this oil are too low, I had to add it, bought from rdent.com, purveyor of parts for older lotuses.

·
Registered
403 Posts
bg 0w30...changed from redline 5w40...both seem fine, HUGE fan on redline oil, might go back other than bg offers a free powertrain warranty with their oils...if it blows up, they say they will send out a gift card for up to 4000 dollars to the shop of your choice as long as you start using the product before 36000 miles.

·
Registered
852 Posts
zddp levels in this oil are too low, I had to add it, bought from rdent.com, purveyor of parts for older lotuses.
I spoke with Amsoil regarding this, and some oils like the European Car formula have ZDDP levels that are close to low enough to meet current standards (around 900ppm zinc and 800ppm phosphorous). Other Amsoil such as Premium Protection have considerably more (1400ppm zinc and 1300ppm phosphorous), and may be a better choice for our cars.

Many people use Mobil 1 diesel oil, which is also higher in zddp than their regular gasoline engine formulations. It would be nice if they listed the % on the cans...

John

1 - 20 of 38 Posts