The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is due in for a service, and I plan to bring my own oil. I rang the dealer and told them I'll be bringing some 5W40 oil with me for the service, but the service manager told me the car needs 5W50 not 5W40 grade oil :huh:

I checked with the manual, and it clearly states that 5W40 grade oil should be used, what should I do? :shrug:

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
My car is due in for a service, and I plan to bring my own oil. I rang the dealer and told them I'll be bringing some 5W40 oil with me for the service, but the service manager told me the car needs 5W50 not 5W40 grade oil :huh:

I checked with the manual, and it clearly states that 5W40 grade oil should be used, what should I do? :shrug:
Arnie...what do YOU think you should do?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clearly I'm going to use 5W40, just curious why the dealer would insist on using 5W50 :shrug:

Could it be because of the local weather here? Hong Kong is pretty hot and humid...

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have been told by a trusted friend who had an Elise that we should use 5-50 in the summertime, 5-40 in the winter. I've been doing that for 3 years and 30,000 miles, car is doing great!

I use Castrol Syntec.

I do not track the car, by the way, just occasional autocross.

I hope this is helpful for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts