The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 80 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Havoline Synthetic Source for NE area

For those interested in getting the manufacturer recommended Havoline Synthetic 5w40, I found a friendly local distributor in MA who is willing to ship direct. They are the authorized dealer for CT and probably the NE.

A.R. Sandri Inc.
400 Chapman Street
Greenfield, MA

This is not a regular stock item for them, so order a few weeks before you actually plan to change the oil. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Hey guys!

Can't believe this thread is still alive after three years!

Do I need to update anything on the original post?

·
Premium Member
11,946 Posts
Rotella in Chester, NJ; Source for ZDDP

Chester Napa: 1 gallon ~ $25

ZDDP additive: rdent.com; 215-538-9323
4 oz, $8.95; we might need 1.5 cans.

Hope I've helped...

·
Registered
410 Posts
If a synthetic oil is advertised as "fully-synthetic" or "made from 100% synthetic base stocks", I am assuming that it really is a fully-synthetic product versus one advertised just as "synthetic" where they can get away with using mineral stocks also. Correct?

Also, even though synthetic oils last longer and can be changed less often, is it a good idea to continue to change the oil filter at the recommended intervals? Afterall, the good fully synthetic oils deal with engine sludge and contaminants better than petro based oils, but they do not prevent them from forming, so you still have to filter them out.

·
Registered
295 Posts
hi,

i read all of the discussion and i didn't see anyone tring 10w/40.

i know a lot of you guys are supercharged...i am wearing for 4 years now the havoline 5w/40 that lotus recomeds but i can hear my engine ticking now and i really don't like the sound ! i am definetely changing the oil to 10w/40 to prevent the engine from failing. 5w/40 is really thing and becomes like water in a little higher temps. if i new that from the beginning i would have used 10w/40 from the beginning. Especially now that i am going supercharged i adefinetely going to a little thicker oil.

what do you think guys ?

moreover, those of you that have the exige S with 220 and 240 hp what does lotus recomends in the owners boog ? the sam havoline ?

·
Registered
272 Posts
5W40 - is what Lotus recomends for the 07 S. If you're concerned I assume the ticking is becoming worse? Have you read through the Cam Defect threads?

·
Registered
295 Posts
nope.can u give me a link ?however it doesn't sound so high in the engine where the cams are. i would say a little lower...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
"The Motor Oil Evaluator" & 5W/40 Oil

The Motor Oil Evaluator is a truly useful resource to navigate the overwhelming choice when is comes to choosing an oil lubricant!

Take a look at the demo video: The Motor Oil Evaluator: Online Oil Comparison Service

My research using this tool shows the "Redline 5W40 Synthetic" to score the best! - Red Line Oil: Motor Oil

Any recommendations or suggestions would be welcome! :)

Below is the recommended engine lubricant as quoted directly from the Lotus Elise owner's manual on page 153:

RECOMMENDED LUBRICANTS

Engine

In order to enhance the longevity and reliability of the car, it is most important that only the specified lubricants are used. It is an entirely false economy to try to save money by using lower quality oils, which may break down before the next change interval and provide inadequate protection before the end of the term. High oil consumption may also result.

For topping up purposes during the running-in period prior to the First After Sales Service, a top quality mineral or semi-synthetic 5W/40 oil should be used. At the First After Sales Service and completion of the running-in period, a fully synthetic 5W/40 oil such as Texaco Havoline Synthetic should be used. This oil has been tested in all climatic conditions likely to be encountered, and offers advantages in ease of cranking, smooth cold running and fuel economy at low temperatures, in combination with good wear protection at elevated temperatures and at high engine speeds. If Texaco/Havoline products are not available, an oil meeting the following specification should be used.

NOTICE: Note that Lotus does not recommend the use of any oil additives and use of such additives may invalidate the terms of your car’s warranty.

Viscosity: 5W/40
Quality Standard: API SJEC; ILSAC; ACEA A3
Capacity - refill inc. filter 4.4 litre
(Cars fitted with front mounted oil coolers contain an additional
3.5 litres, but this oil is not drained during routine servicing)
Difference between high & low dipstick marks: 1.5 litre
Oil change interval Refer to Maintenance Schedule

·
Registered
985 Posts
I tried contacting Texaco/Havoline and the local distributor on the list and so far no return call or emails in a week. I guess I will just look around a bit more.

After reading all the oil related threads on lotustalk, I found nothing decisive to make me want to get one of the various top oils over another, so I decided to do some research for myself. After checking the spec sheets of the various top candidates, Mobil, Amsoil, Havoline, Castrol, Valvoline, Royal Purple, and Redline, I still didn't find anything convincing enough to make me want to buy one versus the other. So I made a few calls.

First, I called Lotus USA, and spoke to their tech guy, who was very nice and helpful within the limitations of his experience and what it is proper for him to say. Basically, as you would expect, he said the Havoline synthetic 5W-40 is the oil that Lotus has done all of their testing with, and that they know is fine. He also said that Castrol synthetic 5W-40 was acceptable, and would not invalidate any warranty. He stated that the oil must be a synthetic 5W-40 to maintain the warranty with no questions, and that other oils may or may not be an issue. I specifically asked him about Mobil 1 0W-40, since I personally think it's a great oil, but he recommended against using it since it was outside of Lotus's specs.

While checking the various oil companies data sheets, Valvoline's Synpower HST stood out with what looked like some very impressive specs. The specs were quite different from the non-HST Synpower. When I checked, no one had Synpower HST available, so I called Valvoline. They told me that Synpower HST is a special formula made to certain manufacturers' specs like MB and Porsche, and is not available on the retail market. Apparently, only dealers can get it, and only in bulk drum quantities. Also, as far as the guy I was talking to knew; they have no plans to market it through retail outlets in the future.

So in the end, I decided to go with the Lotus recommended Havoline synthetic 5W-40 since the difference in specs between the different oils wasn't enough for any to stand out, there would be no questions asked from a warranty perspective, and the price was right. I found the local distributor through the following link Texaco: Marketer Locator which I found on one of the threads here on Lotustalk. The price through them in 6 quart case quantities was $4.70 per quart.

The local distributor's service was outstanding! They delivered the oil directly to my house the next day with no charge for delivery. :coolnana: They also faxed the data sheet for the oil to me, which is a little bit different from what was previously posted in this thread, so I've attached that, and the Valvoline Synpower data sheet as well.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I use Redline 5w-40. 0w-40 will give a tad more power (tad more, you'll not feel it). Considering the Engine is made by Toyota and a Yamaha design and Lotus have not done anything to it at all mechanically, I have no idea why anyone would ask Lotus what oil to use -- suggest you contact Toyota.

I've had good success with Redline in various cars - $8/qt with 2000-3000 mi between changes. I can't say Redline is better than any other oil even non-synthetics, I just have no real world evidence that has shown Redline $8/qt to be better than Penzoil $2/qt. I've never had an engine failure that can be attributed to poor quality oil, and I've never ran an engine beyond 60K miles before I've rebuilt or replaced it.

But like I said, ask Toyota not Lotus.

Rob

·
Registered
985 Posts
Thanks for the information. One reason to ask Lotus is they are the one we have the warranty with.

I use Redline 5w-40. 0w-40 will give a tad more power (tad more, you'll not feel it). Considering the Engine is made by Toyota and a Yamaha design and Lotus have not done anything to it at all mechanically, I have no idea why anyone would ask Lotus what oil to use -- suggest you contact Toyota.

I've had good success with Redline in various cars - $8/qt with 2000-3000 mi between changes. I can't say Redline is better than any other oil even non-synthetics, I just have no real world evidence that has shown Redline $8/qt to be better than Penzoil $2/qt. I've never had an engine failure that can be attributed to poor quality oil, and I've never ran an engine beyond 60K miles before I've rebuilt or replaced it.

Rob

·
Premium Member
11,946 Posts

Rob
Rob - Thanks.

I have same engine in XRS and Toyota says 5w-30.

1. Toyota (Yamaha) engines tend to run cooler than many (in Toyotas)

2. Gets less abused/raced/tracked in their eyes perhaps

3. Is front mounted, making cooling easier.

Beyond that I don't know.

-g

·
Registered
985 Posts
After quite a bit of searching I just found and purchased a case of the Havoline 5w40 synthetic motor oil. When I opened the case the bottles are dated 8/2006. Does this matter? Is it like putting old gas in your car?

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Oil does not degrade by age or not being used in a sealed container.
Michael
After quite a bit of searching I just found and purchased a case of the Havoline 5w40 synthetic motor oil. When I opened the case the bottles are dated 8/2006. Does this matter? Is it like putting old gas in your car?

·
Registered
340 Posts
San Diego Area

I had a very hard time finding any oil that met the weight requirements in San Diego. Finally found the Motul 5W40 at Big Fish Motorsports in Escondido. It is expensive but seems to get good reviews.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Found Castrol Syntec 5W40 at Pep Boys and Autozone. Meets all the requirements specified by Lotus and seems to be the oil used by several dealers as reported on the LT.

I had a very hard time finding any oil that met the weight requirements in San Diego. Finally found the Motul 5W40 at Big Fish Motorsports in Escondido. It is expensive but seems to get good reviews.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
You can get Motul 5W40 at <a href=http://group5motorsport.com/motul/motul_motor_oil_oem_specific/g-52544.aspx>Group5 Motorsports</a>

5L for $35

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,405 Posts
Mobil 1 is now a group III.
...I searched and didn't find a post about it... Looks like they have their old formula back.

Mobil1 Racing Oil - "...recommended for a wide range of race engine applications, including highly loaded flat tappet designs."

Buy Racing Lubes

·
Registered
103 Posts
Leaving 5W-40 in over winter??

Hi all -
Quick question: I have an '05 Elise and have driven about 1500 miles since the last oil change (about 22k on the car), but I am now 2 months past the "recommended" oil change time interval. Bad weather here in Maryland and work schedule has prevented me from changing the oil-which I have thus far let the dealer handle. However, due to the fact that this oil is a synthetic, is there really a need to change it as I was under the impression that synthetics do not break down like a non-synthetic when sitting idle in an engine?

Much oblidged to any recommendations - in the past I have been able to get the oil change done - so this question has never come up.

thanks
-Will

61 - 80 of 153 Posts