The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only had my Evora for a week now and only have driven it a little over 100 miles. After reading some of the post about how the cooling fan works, meaning it only come's on if the car is stopped. I am a little concerned about if the car will over heat driving slow on a hot summer day lets say 90 degrees or so. If in fact the only time the cooling fan comes on is after you stop the car we should be able to install a over ride switch and turn on the fan at will if needed.

Has anyone had any over heating propblem with there car?

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Never had any issues here either. I was doing canyon driving with my AC on , going uphill for almost 12 miles in a 101F temp and no overheating issues.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The engine bay cooling fan only comes on when the car is stopped. The radiator fan is not limited the same way.

It's rarely below 90 degrees in the daytime here in Houston for 8 months of the year. Yet in 15k miles-- an aggravating number of them in heavy traffic-- I haven't had a problem with heat. In Seattle you will have nothing to worry about.

Some owners of early cars have very occasional misfire malfunctions that they attribute to warm temperatures. You can read the threads and decide if you're convinced. Better yet, quit worrying about it and go enjoy your car, for pete's sake.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great!!! I did just read in my book that the car has three fans and the only one that comes on when the car is stopped is the fan in the engine compartment. The other two fans are infront of the radiator and will run (if needed) at half speed or full speed as needed.

Sound like we have no worries.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You're in good shape, Orcas. Go have fun!

I envy you, having an Evora where there are actually interesting roads-- I hit 120mph on the toll road after work today, but it's just not the same bombing down an arrow-straight Texas highway. If you don't get out there and carve up some mountain twisties this weekend, I'm going to fly out to Seattle, steal your car, and do it for you! ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did take the car out on mountain roads last night, hands down the most fun I have ever had driving a car and faster than my Cessna 172

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is my car running HOT?!

I have the same concern as I noticed if I am in traffic during the day time (and trust me Honolulu has a lot of traffic) I have noticed on a number of occasions that the temp gauge will go pass the half mark and climb up. Seems like it takes the fan some time to cool it down but if I keep the car at idle it will not fall back to the middle mark but stay 1 notch right above it. If I get the car going it will cool down quick and drop right back to the middle. Is this normal for the Evora? Can anyone share the same experience? Below is a pic of about the highest it went up. But once the car is in motion it will slowly go back down.

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
That's all I saw after 20 minutes on track flogging the motor at 6-7000rpms!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have the same concern as I noticed if I am in traffic during the day time (and trust me Honolulu has a lot of traffic) I have noticed on a number of occasions that the temp gauge will go pass the half mark and climb up. Seems like it takes the fan some time to cool it down but if I keep the car at idle it will not fall back to the middle mark but stay 1 notch right above it. If I get the car going it will cool down quick and drop right back to the middle. Is this normal for the Evora? Can anyone share the same experience? Below is a pic of about the highest it went up. But once the car is in motion it will slowly go back down.

Normal for my 2011. I live in Texas and its about to be 100+. Remember the car is completely covered underneath so that poor motor is trapped in a very small compartment.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

Ok 100 + last Sunday in So Cal. The car's water temp was just over half way on the gauge (the same as your photo). In stop and go traffic the car's temp did go up a little higher. When I pulled into the garage and shut the car off, the fan in the engine compartment came on for about five minutes.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
it's amazing how much less heat you'll have once you remove those pre cat's and have a free flow exhaust system. Last week we drove up to LA and got stock in a bad traffic. Outside temp was around 90 and my air conditioning was also on , the temp gage never went over the half mark. Can't imagine how much less heat i'll have once I replace the glass engine cover with the lotus racing open cover !!

·
Registered
153 Posts
For reference the middle line on on water temp is 195 F. When running is should never go substantially below that because the thermostat is designed to close below 185 F. There are lots of reasons you don't want to run too cold or too hot, but 10 degrees on either side of 200 is well within the designed range.

donour

EDIT: From the cooling section of the manual. The emergency coolant release (boiling over) doesn't occur till 250F.

"The running temperature will fluctuate a certain amount as the operating conditions change, and during
periods of idling or in heavy traffic, the temperature may rise to over 100°C (212°F), with the cooling fans switching
on at half speed at approximately 98°C (208°F), and full speed at approximately 103°C (217°F). In order
to prompt closer monitoring by the driver of temperatures over 110°C (230°F), the temperature icon will flash
and be accompanied by the message ‘Engine too hot’ displayed above the car silhouette."

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
when properly warmed my car runs usually at 195-204, based on my odb readings. I don't think I've seen it go higher than 210, even on hot days. The front fan usually kicks in and cools it down. And once in a blue moon the side auxiliary blower comes one but I'm still uncertain what the logic for that particular blower is. Definitely the radiator behaves based the coolant temp. There are only two sensors on this car--coolant, and one in front of the air intake, AFAIK. I can't say for certain the AIT (air intake temp) is the basis for the side blower but I'm leaning towards it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
when properly warmed my car runs usually at 195-204, based on my odb readings. I don't think I've seen it go higher than 210, even on hot days. The front fan usually kicks in and cools it down. And once in a blue moon the side auxiliary blower comes one but I'm still uncertain what the logic for that particular blower is. Definitely the radiator behaves based the coolant temp. There are only two sensors on this car--coolant, and one in front of the air intake, AFAIK. I can't say for certain the AIT (air intake temp) is the basis for the side blower but I'm leaning towards it.
Again from the service manual (I just happened to have it handy):

"Engine bay fan (if fitted)
For the USA market and other hot territories, an electical fan is mounted in the right hand engine bay cooling duct to boost air circulation at the front of the engine bay. The fan is ECU controlled, and will operate only when the vehicle is stationary:
- If coolant temperature is over 100°C during idle or at time of ignition switch off, the fan will run for 3 minutes.
- If coolant temperature is over 103°C within 90 seconds of ignition switch off, the fan will run for 2 minutes.
- If the high speed radiator fans are activated during idle, the fan will run for 1 minute.
- If the engine bay fan is triggered whilst the engine is running; after the fan has cycled off, a minimum of 2 minute must elapse before the fan restarts (if triggering conditions still apply)."

EDIT: Everybody should spend the $7 and download the thing. You're Lotus owners, not mindless consumers! :)

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I can tell you now that my fan doesn't behave the way it was described in the service manual. look for my other thread, where I've actually recorded the video of the fan coming on when the engine is cool.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts