The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a first time poster here at EliseTalk (some of you may recognize me from SpyderChat's forums) but I've been following the Elise since the first Elise came out. I was living in Germany on a grad student's budget so while I could buy a street legal Elise there, I couldn't afford it. I'm in the US now (and no longer on a sutdent's budget :) ) and am excited to see a street legal Elise here. Yesterday I went to Fox Valley Motorsports (Chicago area Lotus dealer) for my first real time poking around in an Elise.

The salesman said a couple of things I've never heard before. I tried to search this site to see what info you guys already had but I didn't find confirmation/denial of these two points.

The salesman said:

1) Lotus will be offering bolt-on stuff that will boost the output of the engine to 250HP. He said this would come from intake, muffler and electronics changes. I've paid some attention to the rumors about the Elise for some time and I don't think I've ever heard anything like this before, much less a claim of 60HP gained (*cough cough*). I'm guessing he had to have some training to say all that with a straight face.

2) Lotus has changed all the parts on the engine so you can't go to a Toyota dealer to buy parts for it. I hadn't heard this one eaither. If this is true wouldn't it kind of defeat some of the purpose of putting a Toyota engine in the car? It seems like that would increase repair cost and might make me a bit nervous about the reliability of the engine.

If ya'll have information already on this board please point me to it. Otherwise...has anyone heard this stuff before? Thanks for your help.

Nochmal
00 Liquid Silver MR2 Spyder

·
Registered
84 Posts
Can't speak to the bolt-on power goodies from Lotus, except to note that we probably would have heard something, and we haven't. You should have asked him about LSD to see how plugged in he actually was! :D

On the engine thing, I think he's smoking crack. The general scuttlebutt is that the engine management system is a bit different (Lotus is running a better engine computer) and the exhaust system is optimized, but the core engine seems otherwise pretty stock. I have heard it stated through Lotus sources that there is no expectation that the engine in the Elise will be serviced at Toyota dealerships (it's obviously tuned differently, among other things, and the different engine management computer is a monkey wrench to the Toyota service shops) but that doesn't by itself imply that "every part on the engine is different". It's basically a more or less stock 2ZZ-GE with some tweaks, that's all.

But, I bow to those with more direct insight than I- I'm only passing on what I've heard.

-Knute

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Call me cynical, but I would never believe technical information I get from a car salesman. First of all, most of them don't have a clue about the cars they're selling. And even more importantly, they want to sell cars, that's their job. They will tell you anything you want to hear.

I don't believe that some simple bolt-ons and engine management tweaks will give you 60HP on this engine. Those kinds of gains are possible on a turbo engine, but this is a highly tuned, low displacement, normally aspirated engine.

My impression on #2 is the same as Knute's.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you guys have the same reaction that I did. I don't really care all that much about #1 (it is fairly obviously BS) but if #2 were true (which seems really unlikely) I would be dissapointed.

Nochmal

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
He may have caught wind of a SC under development. It is supposed to replace the intake manifold.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Agreed. There is a VERY strong rumor about a supercharged engine for the Exige that is around 240-250hp. I guess you could call the bolt on.

There is no way some more non-forced induction mods are going to get another 60hp out of it.

He is kinda right about being able to apply Toyota mods to the car in that Lotus has a different ECU which uses some different sensors. One would have to tread carefully.

Welcome Nochmal.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I'm not sure I would give my Elise to the local Toyota dealer to service anyway. I plan to do what I can (time allowing) at home, and otherwise, Symbolic's service center isn't an unreasonable distance from where I live. It's closer than my MB dealer anyway...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Randy Chase said:
Agreed. There is a VERY strong rumor about a supercharged engine for the Exige that is around 240-250hp. I guess you could call the bolt on.

There is no way some more non-forced induction mods are going to get another 60hp out of it.

He is kinda right about being able to apply Toyota mods to the car in that Lotus has a different ECU which uses some different sensors. One would have to tread carefully.

Welcome Nochmal.
He actually specifically said this wasn't forced induction. It certainly would be much more believable if it were.

As for actually having the car serviced by a Toyota dealership...HAH! I don't even feel comfortable having my MR2 Spyder serviced at a Toyota dealership after a few of my experiences there. I just was assuming that many parts would be shared between a standard 2ZZ and the 2ZZ in the Elise...seems like the kind of thing that would make it easier for me to get parts if I weren't close to a Lotus dealer. I currently live near one, but my current job isn't going to last forever...

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info.

Edit: I forgot to add a "hello" to Randy from Dan Cyr who went with me to check out the Elise at the dealership. :)

Nochmal

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Tell Dan this is just like his shifter kart... but street legal.

The basic engine and drivetrain should share just about everything with the Toyota. Lotus is not changing that.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, Dan wants an Elise, that's for sure, but being a grad student is cramping his style. He is trying to make me promise to let him codrive it at autoxs. I'm trying to figure out what to require from him (unfortunately he's been letting me codrive his karts ever since he started with them so I think I'll have to give in)...of course, I gotta get one first, and that won't be for at least a year.

Nochmal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts