The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my oil last time and couldn't help but think the following:

Lotus went through some trouble to fit the Toyota engine in the middle of our car, why didn't they put a lower profile oil pan, or even dry sump it, to get that big hunk of aluminum and steel lower to the ground? I look at other exotic cars with engines custom built for that particular car and can't help but think our engine sits very very high in the chassis.

Now I know the easy answer is cost. But in reality, would a low-profile oil pan that could drop the engine in the chassis 2 inches or more, really be THAT costly? I know the oil pick-up would have to be changed as well, and I don't know exactly what ours looks like as I've never taken one apart. Also, the half-shaft angles would then go up rather than straight out, unless the engine was tilted so the transmission stayed where it was. There are lots of reasons I know, and I'm sure Lotus considered this. It was just something that crossed my mind and I figured I'd toss it up here for discussion.

People sometimes do engine swaps in these cars (rare I know). Is this something that gets taken into consideration to try and lower the CG of the car? Or is it not worth it since it would change the roll moment quite a bit?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I am betting cost is the top three answers and price point are the next three.

I would need to look at the setup again, but

How much lower is the bottom of the oil pan than the flywheel/bell housing? If I recall correctly there is not much to be gained by just a shorter oil pan.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Lowering the engine... It's been done;)

DS angles are an issue and compounded as you lower the car, but they're not a HUGE issue at reasonable drops...

To lower the engine, you may have work around your aftermarket header... THe first 1.5" inches or so are free with exhaust work... then it's the pan, then the tranny...

not sure it's worth a ton though--- but then again, every bit counts:up:...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts