The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I am in total awe of you people :clap::clap: Today I changed the spark plugs NGK 3764 and last week removed the snorkel. I feel like a million bucks. Even bought some Mechanics gloves - look like a total dork but loving every minute. I never grew up messing with cars so they are a complete mystery. At the young age of 60 I'm just now starting my love of cars in my retirement. My Elise makes me smile just looking at it. You guys are my heroes and I can't get enough of your posts. Thanks :bow::bow:
Well believe it or not you picked a very easy car to work on....this car was made to be tinkered with.

Looking at the sequence here, I'm wondering if when dooing a clutch and flywheel change if its easier to just remove the engine and leave the transmission and CV joints left in tact :shrug:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
You can see that the hinges are a small part of hinging the rear clam. My rear clam is very solid, no vibration or cracking - as solid as OEM. It takes around 10 seconds to swing the clam open which is great for engine work. < 2 minutes to completely remove the clam - pull 4 pins and one electrical connection (rear brake/directionals) and remove!

I don't have CAD drawings of the hinges - I cut them from 3/8" aluminum plate using a hacksaw and a LOT of patience.
Are your hinges similiar in design to the Hyper-Motorsports ones (see pic below)? It looks like they use the existing rear most channels on the galvanized sub-frame as the lower part of the hinge. Where are your four pins? Two in the trunk and two in front of and at the top of the rear window (inside)? It appears they added two gas struts to assist and support the clam when open.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Are your hinges similiar in design to the Hyper-Motorsports ones (see pic below)? It looks like they use the existing rear most channels on the galvanized sub-frame as the lower part of the hinge. Where are your four pins? Two in the trunk and two in front of and at the top of the rear window (inside)? It appears they added two gas struts to assist and support the clam when open.
Yes, mine is very similiar. I use the channel to secure the hinge and also use a gas strut. My car is 2 hours away in a garage (snow up here!). I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Yes, mine is very similiar. I use the channel to secure the hinge and also use a gas strut. My car is 2 hours away in a garage (snow up here!). I'll post pictures as soon as I can.
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
Thanks! This is one mod I would love to have done on my car!

·
Registered
352 Posts
MaineLotus

Do you still have your engine out?
Could you take a picture of the factory Knock sensor? could you tell if there are any brand markings? Also could you take a picture of the harness plug that connects to the sensor?
I have a Toyota part number but I want to confirm how the part looks like
I need this for tunning reasons

Thanks allot in advance

41 - 46 of 46 Posts