The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 elise SC
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am new to lotustalk. I have my lotus (2009 sc) since 2009 and never had a major problem or failures. Yesterday i was going to work but the car woudnt move. The engine started normal. I shifted my manual gear with a bit of difficulty. When i removed my foot from the clutch the car didnt move an inch. I tried all gears but it didn’t budge, as if there is no connection between engine and transmission. (Hand break down and cable working fine). Any idea of the problem.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
So the shifter action feels normal, with the normal gates apparent between gears, or does the shifter feel floppy? If it feels floppy, you probably have a broken “blue ball” in the shifter. If the shifter feels normal, what does the clutch pedal feel like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Check that circlips did not come off the shift cables in the engine bay. Though when that happened to me, I did not feel any resistance moving the shift lever.

·
Registered
2009 elise SC
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Austin,
Hi, i am new to lotustalk. I have my lotus (2009 sc) since 2009 and never had a major problem or failures. Yesterday i was going to work but the car woudnt move. The engine started normal. I shifted my manual gear with a bit of difficulty. When i removed my foot from the clutch the car didnt move an inch. I tried all gears but it didn’t budge, as if there is no connection between engine and transmission. (Hand break down and cable working fine). Any idea of the problem.
So the shifter action feels normal, with the normal gates apparent between gears, or does the shifter feel floppy? If it feels floppy, you probably have a broken “blue ball” in the shifter. If the shifter feels normal, what does the clutch pedal feel like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Austin, shifter' action feel floppy, not the usual feel. the cluth too easy to the foot.

·
Registered
2009 elise SC
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check that circlips did not come off the shift cables in the engine bay. Though when that happened to me, I did not feel any resistance moving the shift lever.

Hi Fred, thanks! will check that too

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I'll throw in a few guesses

1) Did the shifter break? When mine broke you could lift it up several inches above its normal position since it broke near the base

2) Did the cables in the engine bay become loose? Leave the car off. Open the engine bay. Shift the gears as you normally would while sitting in the drivers seat and have someone look in the engine bay. Some cables in there should be moving around.

3) Did you just wash the car? Sometimes on my car after washing it, the brake pads stick to the rotors. You will need a lot more force on the gas pedal to break the pads off of the rotors and get the car moving.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
13,547 Posts
Sounds like you might have two issues first if the clutch pedal goes to the floor your clutch MC might be bad
with the floppy shifter I would tear into your shifter and see if you have broken blue ball.
You can G search elise blue balls lotustalk and it will point you to all the threads dealing with that. Always add lotustalk to end of your search and iyt will find what you're looking for here.

Reactions: Gaston
1 - 10 of 10 Posts